The what guitar should Oyo get thread

Ok since you havnt gotten any help I have your answer... ESP LTD M-50 This is about 250$ I have been playing it for 3 years and still love it! It is amazing for a beginners guitar, and GREAT for metal. GET IT!! I swear this seems to really fit your need perfectly, definately check it out!

in the meantime, you can always pick up a fairly good acoustic cheaply, cuz you need to sart somewhere and the sooner the better. you will need to begin learning dexterity and finger strength period, so if you are serious i would do this for now. learn some chords and basic theory, strumming etc. fuck i'll teach you over the internet!:D and once you do get an electric with a decent practice amp with good gain, you'll barely pick up your acoustic! :lol:

Oyo,

You still have the problem with the amps- which can be expensive. The minimalistic route is to buy an amp emulator such as a Line 6 Pod. I'm not sure how great it is for death metal, as I've only played on it a few times, but if it's just for fun, you should definitely get this. It weighs like about 3 pounds or so- don't know it's small- it can be hooked to a computer, or headphones. It's real fun. And the cost is something between 180-250 US dollars. It's a good buy, I would buy it if I didn't innately suck so much with musical instruments. :(

This is just my opinion. Purists will frown on it, but as one amateur to another, I like the idea of a small, very portable device that's able to emulate many cool guitar amps and sounds.

Originally posted by E V I L
Oyo,

You still have the problem with the amps- which can be expensive. The minimalistic route is to buy an amp emulator such as a Line 6 Pod. I'm not sure how great it is for death metal, as I've only played on it a few times, but if it's just for fun, you should definitely get this. It weighs like about 3 pounds or so- don't know it's small- it can be hooked to a computer, or headphones. It's real fun. And the cost is something between 180-250 US dollars. It's a good buy, I would buy it if I didn't innately suck so much with musical instruments. :(

This is just my opinion. Purists will frown on it, but as one amateur to another, I like the idea of a small, very portable device that's able to emulate many cool guitar amps and sounds.

of course, this is just my arsehole opinion, but DON'T DO IT! i bought the line 6 pod pro, a $600.00 rackmount version to use mainly for recording. the clean tones were quite nice, but when you prefer gain, forget it. it sounds so fucking ARTIFICIAL!:mad: of course i returned the pod pro and got a crate gfx 212t in its place!:D

I thought b.c. rich guitars had a weak clean sound, i was wrong. I get an asome clean sound from my b.c. rich and the mid level platinum or NJ you can find for less than 500 on some sales just look around. I give them 4 out of 5.

Epiphone are somehow good guitars too but the electric sound just needs a bit of working to get a nice metal tune going on, a lot of guitar players disagree but they usually forget the difference between a Les Paul wich has amazing electric sound but cost over 1000 bucks and a epiphone wich is weaker. Acoustic sound of the epiphones i tried were great, its an overall great guitar for its price range. i also give it 4 out of 5 but keep in mind this guitar is better if you use it more for acoustic sounds.

Jackson guitars. Amazing guitar a friend has, and i can be found for cheap ( around or less than 500 ) and both of their sounds are exelent for its price, the one and only problem is that their action was weird for my tastes, and it took me a bit of time to get used to it, is not the kind of action i would recomend to a beginner or someone who cannot tweak his guitar ( i mean you will eventually get used to the action or to modify it but it could become a little frustrating ) but they are amazing sounding guitars.

I give you my opinion on these options so you stay away from ibanez guitars. For the money you have you will regret it, i have nothing against japanese guitars im not the typical biased go for american made guitars kinda guy, but i own an cheap ibanez and i never had more problems in my life. Untolerable noise leves with the default humbuckers and single coils ( you sound like the kind of guy who cannot put down extra 200 bucks to replace them ), the arm bends horribly due to a cheap construction, the tremolo system will never stay in tune, you can virtually never do a full bending without getting out of tune, you can even do vibrato on a g string without getting out of tune and its easier to kill yourself than to fix the intonation, the electronics will be good for about a month before everything looses ground and starts making all short of false contacs, its just a damn pain in the ass. Is just not worth it and the sound it gets on optimal conditions is not even that good is seriously overrated...just walk away from ibanez guitars.

Hehehe, you dont need lesons if you dedicate. Just pick an opeth song, get someone experienced to make you a tab of it and to correct you on the techniques, and practice your ass off. Then move onto a harder song etc. Cover playing is the most fun way to learn, forget all those boring legatto exercises, give me a megadeth lead and i will go from there.

hehe I had an Epiphone that was stolen and now Im glad its gone! Ive been much happier with my Fernandez Revoler Pro. Its alot easier on my hand since Im still learning. Heres a pic of my baby.:D
revolverpro.jpg

its all a matter of taste anyway, and like i said, no two guitars, same model or not, will play and feel the same. its like clothes shopping really. you gotta try it on first. so that is why i suggested he find an experienced player to help him choose.

Hehehe, you dont need lesons if you dedicate. Just pick an opeth song, get someone experienced to make you a tab of it and to correct you on the techniques, and practice your ass off. Then move onto a harder song etc. Cover playing is the most fun way to learn, forget all those boring legatto exercises, give me a megadeth lead and i will go from there.

hmm,

the extent of my playing skills for Opeth:

first few seconds of Benighted.

first few seconds of To Bid you Farewell

All of Harvest (but my musicianship is aweful- it's rather depressing actually hehe)

A few of the chord based riffs on April Ethereal.

Needless to say I'm an idiot.