The what guitar should Oyo get thread

i'd rather waste $300 on a good one that i'll never use, than have to switch to a better one after spending $100 on a shitty one

uh... i don't think $300 will get you a GREAT guitar...

It depends on what style you want to play? If you want to play riff based metal like old Megadeth, Metallica, Death etc... Then i reccomend a Jackson of some kind.

...But if you want to play something fairly simple guitarwise, like Opeth for example (yes, simply...), or Katatonia, then i reccomend an epiphone Les-Paul.

Forget Gibsons... they are terrible. Too heavy, Too Bluesy...

Originally posted by Oyo
Is it hard to read tabs and such? How do you go about teaching yourself (I have no one I know in real life that can help me :cry: ), i'm not planning on taking lessons really, unless I keep sucking without gaining skill.

How? playing thats how. I started with metallica and gnr songs back when i was 10 years old. Then i grew out of it and i started playing harder song like CC, Morbid angel etc, and eventually picked up death and DT songs. If you and evil at all like katatonia i would definitely recomend you start out with katatonia's song because i personally enjoy them and they are good begginers material, hell ill even make you some tabs if you want to :D

And about tabs, dont get confused. Tabs are just 6 lines each representing a string, and it has the number of wich fret you should play each note, the distance between notes indicates an aproximate timming and if notes are in the same like are played togheter like:

Riff A
Time 12/8
Gtrs.1&2 w/dist. (gtr.1 left speaker, gtr.2 right speaker)
|-------------------------|-------------------------|-------------------------|
|*------------------------|-------------------------|-------------------------|
|-7---7-7-7-7-7---7-7-7-7-|-7---7-7-7-7-7---7-7-7-7-|-------------------------|
|-x---x-x-x-x-x---x-x-x-x-|-x---x-x-x-x-x---x-x-x-x-|-------------------------|
|*5---5-5-5-5-5---5-5-5-5-|-5---5-5-5-5-5---5-5-5-5-|-----6---3s5-5-----------|
|-0---0-0-0-0-7---7-7-7-7-|-6---6-6-6-6-6---6-6-6-6-|s8p6-------------0-0-0-0-|

Here you play the 6 5 and 3rd strings and mute the 4th strings ( preferably with the left hand as mikael does ) you play the 6th string on the 0 freet wich means no fret, and it changes to the 7 and 6 frets, at the same time you keep playing the 5th string on the 5th fret and the 3rd string on the 7th fret, so you will need to do a full motion of the pick like when you are playing an open major chord in the acoustic, just like Mikael and Peter do on the demon of the fall video of that bootleg mania thing (in case you havent figured it out this is a part from demon of the fall)

Is not that hard

Sheet music on the other hand...has only 5 lines and each represents a note, so you have to know all the notes on the guitar to play them, you have to know 5 string 3rd fret is C, 4 string 7th fret is A, etc. Plus you use note figures wich indicate the exact timing of each note. Its really complicated and a lot to take on for now, unless you have a formal trainer or teacher stay away from sheet music for now.

I didn't read any of the other replies so this has probably already been suggested...

Guitar: Jackson or Ibanez... Ibanez probably has the better lower end guitar but for metal, I think the Jackson makes a better higher end guitar...

Amp: Crate... They kick ass for the price!

I'll tell you what though, I've always liked classical guitars for playing and writing riffs... (Nylon string only) The main reason is this: you can play them anywhere! You don't need an amp and you can really JAM on them! Hell, most of my best licks were written on a classical... (Which explains why I'm having major writers block now... I sold my Classical!)

But, if you decide on Electric, the Guitar's and Amp I suggested are probably the best... (I didn't mention any specific models because they are all pretty good...)

YourFuneral

Other people can´t tell you which guitar you need.
You had better wait a year and try several, instead of buying
just the one you have the money for now.

Above that, all guitars need customizing,
so start saving your hard-earned cash.....

good luck

That is a good point indeed i have to agree. I would ditch the idea of an internet sale, you just gotta take an experience guitar player friend you have into an actual guitar store and try several actual guitar/amp convinations, and get a good advice and feeling of each. Buying guitars on the net would be the last thing i would do unless i have already extensively tried that exact same guitar before.

Other people can´t tell you which guitar you need.
You had better wait a year and try several, instead of buying
just the one you have the money for now.

i gotta disagree with part of this. true, i already stated its like trying on clothes. he wont know for a while what he really wants in a guitar. but telling him to wait a year? thats a long fuckin time he could have been learning and building dexterity. at least get a cheap acoustic for now.

This is so stressful :mad: :) :mad:
I don't know what I should do, argh!

Let's see, right now I have about $200, I have no job, the money comes in slowly.

If I get an electric I'll get the RG M-50 that Morningrise recommended with the crate amp that costs like $240, of course, this is about $440, I think i'm going to try to sell my paintball gun on ebay, I could get about $300 for that and i'd be set. I know this isn't the optimal situation, I'd be buying it online, but first off, I have no friends into music, let alone friends that play music. I would have no way of hand-picking one, I just want to get started playing, then I can find one I like for myself later, when I have a job and a car. If I can't sell my paintball gun I'll pick up an acoustic that I can afford now, are there any decent accoustics for like $200?

EDIT: I know it's been said I can't be told what guitar to buy, but try to understand that I am utterly clueless, and if I didn't ask you people i'd end up buying whatever I saw online blindly.

If you are really want to save an amp for later and want something that sounds semidecent once you get an amp and distorsion try an arc guitar. They are the classic jazz models and some of them have enough volume to practice in a quiet place, dont expect the resonance of an acoustic but it would be nice enough. Thing is i havent seen an arc guitar for less than 800 but then again i havent look deep and hard im shure there should be a bargain out there you could catch