The what's going on in Thrash thread

Yeah I hope so! I did see him pop on youtube. He was agreeing with Nugent. I almost put pees on you. but I didn't want to get in trouble with youtube lol.

Yeah. I mean if you hate the guy be honest about it. Don't make up some obvious bullshit like he didn't save the band and make their output the best in 20 years.

Man. I've been watching some live cams on youtube. And they have the live chat. People are all experts and say some really horrible things.

Dee and Snider should be put in a rowboat together and pushed out to sea.

Queensryche is one of those bands I never really got into, I knew a few songs and didn't hate them but I could never have even told you who was in the band. It wasn't until I started reading Blabber that I knew LaTorre was even in the band :)

I've lost count of the number of reports today alone that have asked flood victims how they are feeling. Commentors on internet sites are bad, but people in general can be so fucking stupid.

Reactions: redfly
Of course. Can't really do a tour when you've had no music in six fucking years! Man most of those bands sound like emo scremo bands.

I just love the thought that a member of The Big 4 Of Thrash is playing a rock festival and they are still a long way down the list of bands!
I need a reporter to ask Scott or Charlie how that Big 4 thing is holding up now!

Queensryche is one of those bands I never really got into, I knew a few songs and didn't hate them but I could never have even told you who was in the band. It wasn't until I started reading Blabber that I knew LaTorre was even in the band :)

I've lost count of the number of reports today alone that have asked flood victims how they are feeling. Commentors on internet sites are bad, but people in general can be so fucking stupid.
Yeah I know. Sorry to drone on about it! I'm pretty picky with them myself.

I don't get why people are so miserable with their comments and questions. It's like they just can't put themselves in someone else's shoes.
Zero empathy. We're doomed.

Reactions: Slammed
I just love the thought that a member of The Big 4 Of Thrash is playing a rock festival and they are still a long way down the list of bands!
I need a reporter to ask Scott or Charlie how that Big 4 thing is holding up now!
Lol. Just call it The 4. Or The Big 3 plus Anthrax. It's crazy how not big they are compared to a bunch of bands I've never heard of and are probably awful.

Well yeah. But c'mon that was well over 30 years ago. I think Dave has made his name on his own since then. Now I know it's all speculation on my part. but I would think Testament wouldn't jump into a situation where it's a guessing game of when he'll be available. Is Suicidal or any of those other bands even full time? Maybe Dave has been waiting for a real offer and band he can call home?

Yeah I am shitting on Dave with the apprentice/teacher thing, he has made a name for himself and he is a great drummer but I still think Testament took the easy path. Lets face it there is a dozen drummers that could have stepped into Testament (nearly every metal site has had their suggestions), it's not a job only Gene, or only Dave could have filled, and bringing someone up the ranks would have been a true metal thing to do.

ST's pretty much just a live band these days, but they also haven't relied on him for every gig, they are kind of like Black Label Society in that whoever is available plays. Misfits was permanent but I have no idea what they are doing other than fighting with each other. But I'm sure Jeff claimed a deal was signed for at least one album. He might still be able to fulfil that deal, but I doubt he'll tour anything. I'm also sure Dave's been looking for a home, but there was a reason he only did one album with Testament the first time, just like there was a reason he quit, and was later fired from Slayer. If those reasons come up again will he just cut and run and leave Testament floundering? Remember he left Slayer mid tour without almost zero notice and the claims he made about the band were never actually proven by an independent investigation and audit.

For me because his vocals grated on me a bit and I had wished it was all Chuck. You've got this very strong brutal voice and then the lady from Throw Mama From The Train and Goonies starts singing.

Oh I thought there must have been a real reason :p
No I thought maybe he was saying no, or he was holding out or something. I think that while Zet might not have always doing the right thing the songs really did benefit from two singers. I don't know if Zet should have upped his game or they should have found someone else but the two signer thing worked for me.

Yeah I know. Sorry to drone on about it! I'm pretty picky with them myself.

I don't get why people are so miserable with their comments and questions. It's like they just can't put themselves in someone else's shoes.
Zero empathy. We're doomed.

The weird thing is Queensryche is one of those bands every one seems to remember but so few remember little more than Silent Lucidity.

I think the majority of the people who make those comments actually make them because it's easier to look at others shortcomings than their own. Obviously the world is not focusing on them, the world doesn't know who the fuck they are, but in their minds they distance themselves from others by being shitty to famous people.

Lol. Just call it The 4. Or The Big 3 plus Anthrax. It's crazy how not big they are compared to a bunch of bands I've never heard of and are probably awful.

The weird thing about that line up is that the first three bands I see listed (other than the band "To Be Announced") are Lamb Of God, Anthrax and Killswitch Engage. Anthrax should have seniority over both those bands. I understand that a newer band could have a bigger following than an older band, it happens. But Anthrax still claim to be at the top of their game. Unlike some bands that went soft, changed style and played to the crowd to make money, Anthrax didn't change, haven't got the fans and still claim to be Kings, but only them and a handful of dedicated fans still see them at the top.

Yeah I am shitting on Dave with the apprentice/teacher thing, he has made a name for himself and he is a great drummer but I still think Testament took the easy path. Lets face it there is a dozen drummers that could have stepped into Testament (nearly every metal site has had their suggestions), it's not a job only Gene, or only Dave could have filled, and bringing someone up the ranks would have been a true metal thing to do.

ST's pretty much just a live band these days, but they also haven't relied on him for every gig, they are kind of like Black Label Society in that whoever is available plays. Misfits was permanent but I have no idea what they are doing other than fighting with each other. But I'm sure Jeff claimed a deal was signed for at least one album. He might still be able to fulfil that deal, but I doubt he'll tour anything. I'm also sure Dave's been looking for a home, but there was a reason he only did one album with Testament the first time, just like there was a reason he quit, and was later fired from Slayer. If those reasons come up again will he just cut and run and leave Testament floundering? Remember he left Slayer mid tour without almost zero notice and the claims he made about the band were never actually proven by an independent investigation and audit.
Well. I do agree with you on certain points. But to me (and I know I've said it before) I really feel like a legendary old school band needs to have legendary members. And since Gene is out and Tempesta has a good paying gig, there's really not a lot of people to choose from. Especially with the drive that Dave still has. You know it's like everyone in the band is a legend unto themselves and together it's overdrive.
Yes it would have been cool to have an up and coming drummer. But personally I agree with them that it seemed like unfinished business.

I wouldn't worry about anything Waters is doing messing anything up! Small potatoes. :)
If he does leave Testament hanging you'll probably get your wish of an unknown or barely know drummer.

Oh I thought there must have been a real reason :p
No I thought maybe he was saying no, or he was holding out or something. I think that while Zet might not have always doing the right thing the songs really did benefit from two singers. I don't know if Zet should have upped his game or they should have found someone else but the two signer thing worked for me.
Hahaha.
Yeah I liked the whole idea of it. And I do like those albums.

The weird thing is Queensryche is one of those bands every one seems to remember but so few remember little more than Silent Lucidity.

I think the majority of the people who make those comments actually make them because it's easier to look at others shortcomings than their own. Obviously the world is not focusing on them, the world doesn't know who the fuck they are, but in their minds they distance themselves from others by being shitty to famous people.
Yeah that was a big hit for them. But I am surprised people don't bring up the title track Empire more. I still like that song. Silent Lucidity on the other hand I could never hear again and be fine. I think between Operation Mindcrime and the Empire album they have a lot of good songs. But id someone said to me it's either thrash or Queensryche it'd be bye bye Ryche.

Yeah I think that's probably true.

The weird thing about that line up is that the first three bands I see listed (other than the band "To Be Announced") are Lamb Of God, Anthrax and Killswitch Engage. Anthrax should have seniority over both those bands. I understand that a newer band could have a bigger following than an older band, it happens. But Anthrax still claim to be at the top of their game. Unlike some bands that went soft, changed style and played to the crowd to make money, Anthrax didn't change, haven't got the fans and still claim to be Kings, but only them and a handful of dedicated fans still see them at the top.
Yeah it's like LOG splitting the closing of shows with Megadeth. I would go with seniority too. This has been going on with Anthrax for a long time. I think they were billed under Killswitch quite a few times as well. And THAT should have been the kick they needed to step up their game and make more music.

Well. I do agree with you on certain points. But to me (and I know I've said it before) I really feel like a legendary old school band needs to have legendary members. And since Gene is out and Tempesta has a good paying gig, there's really not a lot of people to choose from. Especially with the drive that Dave still has. You know it's like everyone in the band is a legend unto themselves and together it's overdrive.
Yes it would have been cool to have an up and coming drummer. But personally I agree with them that it seemed like unfinished business.

I wouldn't worry about anything Waters is doing messing anything up! Small potatoes. :)
If he does leave Testament hanging you'll probably get your wish of an unknown or barely know drummer.

Alex is a jazz legend :p

I hope Dave lives up to the hype. I'm sure he's capable of playing all the songs, less sure they can recreate whatever it was they had 20 years ago. The entire band has changed, personally and professionally, Dave's changed, it's good to be nostalgic but we all know it's hard to rekindle things from 20 years ago. Look at the differences in the last three albums which span nearly 10 years. The are all good records but you can hear the band change between albums. The band themselves is basically the same (no one counts a bass player change as major) but there is a progression. There has also been a progression since Dave was part of the band, to say there is unfinished business either suggests they are going to backwards or there has to be change. I don't mind either way but I very much doubt it just happens because they did it once 20 years ago.

I don't really care what Waters is doing, although I'd love to see him go backwards towards Alice In Hell, but if there was a contract signed I think it should be honoured. If he does leave Testament hanging I predict that they will issue a statement very similar to the one they released a few weeks back when Gene left them hanging. Peaceful, hopeful and diplomatic, yet plenty of fans still claimed it must have been a fight that initiated that statement.

Yeah that was a big hit for them. But I am surprised people don't bring up the title track Empire more. I still like that song. Silent Lucidity on the other hand I could never hear again and be fine. I think between Operation Mindcrime and the Empire album they have a lot of good songs. But id someone said to me it's either thrash or Queensryche it'd be bye bye Ryche.

Yeah I think that's probably true.

Silent Lucidity got rock station air play, therefore it was popular, therefore it wasn't metal :)

Yeah it's like LOG splitting the closing of shows with Megadeth. I would go with seniority too. This has been going on with Anthrax for a long time. I think they were billed under Killswitch quite a few times as well. And THAT should have been the kick they needed to step up their game and make more music.

I wonder if new music would have been enough to keep Anthrax at the top. Obviously it wouldn't have hurt, but do they have the ability to write the music older fans wanted? Do they have the ability to write music new fans want? Every band has to go through that stage and it's not shitting just on Anthrax but while new music would have kept many more fans interested, i.e not forgotten they existed, to be at the top really requires good music too.

I think a lot of their die hard fans forgive them for a lot of things and those people will be pleased with any shit they write, (I'm the Man anyone?) But whether they have writers block, fear they can't write as good as they used to, or something else they have to know they aren't close to what they used to be, even if they wont admit it allowed. They also have to know they wont ever get back there and risk becoming the nostalgia act people mention starting with the words, "remember that band from the 80's".

Alex is a jazz legend :p

I hope Dave lives up to the hype. I'm sure he's capable of playing all the songs, less sure they can recreate whatever it was they had 20 years ago. The entire band has changed, personally and professionally, Dave's changed, it's good to be nostalgic but we all know it's hard to rekindle things from 20 years ago. Look at the differences in the last three albums which span nearly 10 years. The are all good records but you can hear the band change between albums. The band themselves is basically the same (no one counts a bass player change as major) but there is a progression. There has also been a progression since Dave was part of the band, to say there is unfinished business either suggests they are going to backwards or there has to be change. I don't mind either way but I very much doubt it just happens because they did it once 20 years ago.

I don't really care what Waters is doing, although I'd love to see him go backwards towards Alice In Hell, but if there was a contract signed I think it should be honoured. If he does leave Testament hanging I predict that they will issue a statement very similar to the one they released a few weeks back when Gene left them hanging. Peaceful, hopeful and diplomatic, yet plenty of fans still claimed it must have been a fight that initiated that statement.
I think they can. Testament's catalog is all over the place. I think if they want to make a Gathering type album they can. They've wanted to be more melodic and do stories lately. So I think nothing is an accident. And since Eric writes the songs it's really what kind of things he wants to do. If he wants to make a balls out album they can. But on the other hand Chuck would have to want to do more brutal vocals which he hasn't seemed to want to do much off. And of course there's the Alex equation.
At any rate I think whatever they do next is going to be the best of this century. I do feel like Gene was held back a little. Or that Gene tried to hard to fit his drums to the songs.
Did Gene leave them hanging? Or was it just lack of planning and communication. I don't think there was a fight between them. WE ARE THE FANS! :)
Yeah A contact would have to be honored. It wouldn't be cool to flake out. I wonder what that contract extended to?
I hope Jeff does anything other than what he's been doing. A return to the Alice days would be good and a long time coming.

I think they can. Testament's catalog is all over the place. I think if they want to make a Gathering type album they can. They've wanted to be more melodic and do stories lately. So I think nothing is an accident. And since Eric writes the songs it's really what kind of things he wants to do. If he wants to make a balls out album they can. But on the other hand Chuck would have to want to do more brutal vocals which he hasn't seemed to want to do much off. And of course there's the Alex equation.
At any rate I think whatever they do next is going to be the best of this century. I do feel like Gene was held back a little. Or that Gene tried to hard to fit his drums to the songs.
Did Gene leave them hanging? Or was it just lack of planning and communication. I don't think there was a fight between them. WE ARE THE FANS! :)
Yeah A contact would have to be honored. It wouldn't be cool to flake out. I wonder what that contract extended to?
I hope Jeff does anything other than what he's been doing. A return to the Alice days would be good and a long time coming.

The best of the century? That's a big call, but you've tainted it now because just like an Anthrax fan you're expecting to much and if they don't deliver you wont be able to see it :p

Even with their interchanging catalogue I just can't see them actually recreating what they once had as they claim. How many bands have actually done that in the past? Some of the bands have made a bigger balls up of their recreations than they would have if they just shut their mouth and did nothing.

I don't think Gene left them hanging, but there is plenty of people who do. There is also plenty who claimed he can't be as busy as he claims therefore he must have had other reasons to quit. We wont really know the truth, just like we don't really know the truth about why Dave did what he did with Slayer, twice!

What about the comment on Blabber about Testament no longer playing songs off Brotherhood because Dave can't play blast beats like Gene?

I wonder if new music would have been enough to keep Anthrax at the top. Obviously it wouldn't have hurt, but do they have the ability to write the music older fans wanted? Do they have the ability to write music new fans want? Every band has to go through that stage and it's not shitting just on Anthrax but while new music would have kept many more fans interested, i.e not forgotten they existed, to be at the top really requires good music too.

I think a lot of their die hard fans forgive them for a lot of things and those people will be pleased with any shit they write, (I'm the Man anyone?) But whether they have writers block, fear they can't write as good as they used to, or something else they have to know they aren't close to what they used to be, even if they wont admit it allowed. They also have to know they wont ever get back there and risk becoming the nostalgia act people mention starting with the words, "remember that band from the 80's".
I think they have the ability. But I also think Charlie wants awards and other things they won't get by being a full on ballsy thrash band. He wants to be artsy. Big mistake. If they gave the fans what they wanted...and more often. They'd be in a much better position.

I really think Anthrax lost a lot of momentum when they fired Joey after POT. Nothing to do with John. But they changed singers and style at the height of their popularity.