The what's going on in Thrash thread

I can of three songs that got pretty good airplay. The last two mentioned and Jet City woman. But I really only like Empire out of those.
Yeah if it's metal it's very very light metal! :)

I don't remember other songs getting airplay here, they might have but I know SL got hammered. It was like the Final Countdown, it got hammered and the radio stations ignored that there was three other singles on the album because no one cared, they just wanted that one song.

Reactions: Neptune and redfly
I think they have the ability. But I also think Charlie wants awards and other things they won't get by being a full on ballsy thrash band. He wants to be artsy. Big mistake. If they gave the fans what they wanted...and more often. They'd be in a much better position.

I really think Anthrax lost a lot of momentum when they fired Joey after POT. Nothing to do with John. But they changed singers and style at the height of their popularity.

Anthrax for the RNR HOF? :)
So you think it's Charlie's push that is turning them inside out and upside down, not a mix of Scott and Charlie? I always figured Scott was the one who wanted easy stardom and Charlie wanted notoriety.

Do you think Charlie's ailments (carpal tunnel or whatever it is) is a big factor in them not being as hard and heavy as they used to? I know there has been times Charlie has stepped back and let others hit the kit and he has had operations, but he doesn't seem to use it as an excuse as much as others do. I'm sure it effects him to some degree but I wonder if their lack of balls has something to do with that and they don't want to admit it totally.

Yeah there is a lot of truth in that. As good as Jon was (for one album :) ) the style completely changed. POT was a bit of a change to begin with and I've heard Scott and Charlie say SOWN was a progression from POT like POT was a progression from SOE, but it wasn't. But whatever happened between SOWN and WCFYA is not anything close to what Anthrax was. People who think that era is Anthrax probably think their debut was excellent :)

The best of the century? That's a big call, but you've tainted it now because just like an Anthrax fan you're expecting to much and if they don't deliver you wont be able to see it :p

Even with their interchanging catalogue I just can't see them actually recreating what they once had as they claim. How many bands have actually done that in the past? Some of the bands have made a bigger balls up of their recreations than they would have if they just shut their mouth and did nothing.

I don't think Gene left them hanging, but there is plenty of people who do. There is also plenty who claimed he can't be as busy as he claims therefore he must have had other reasons to quit. We wont really know the truth, just like we don't really know the truth about why Dave did what he did with Slayer, twice!

What about the comment on Blabber about Testament no longer playing songs off Brotherhood because Dave can't play blast beats like Gene?
Yes. Absolutely. I like these last four albums. But not as much as everything that came before. They aren't my go to albums. I cherry pick now. I kinda take that back. I do think that Titans is the best of the four. Actually I don't really cherry pick that one.

But those other bands aren't Testament! I think they are one of the few bands that can do it. Them and Flotsam And Jetsam.

I'm not even gonna give credence to whoever made such a stupid comment!

Reactions: Neptune and Slammed
I don't remember other songs getting airplay here, they might have but I know SL got hammered. It was like the Final Countdown, it got hammered and the radio stations ignored that there was three other singles on the album because no one cared, they just wanted that one song.
Well that album is a few years before Empire and Mindcrime. But yes, we got slammed with the final countdown as well. I think Eyes Of A Stranger got decent airplay here.

Anthrax for the RNR HOF? :)
So you think it's Charlie's push that is turning them inside out and upside down, not a mix of Scott and Charlie? I always figured Scott was the one who wanted easy stardom and Charlie wanted notoriety.

Do you think Charlie's ailments (carpal tunnel or whatever it is) is a big factor in them not being as hard and heavy as they used to? I know there has been times Charlie has stepped back and let others hit the kit and he has had operations, but he doesn't seem to use it as an excuse as much as others do. I'm sure it effects him to some degree but I wonder if their lack of balls has something to do with that and they don't want to admit it totally.

Yeah there is a lot of truth in that. As good as Jon was (for one album :) ) the style completely changed. POT was a bit of a change to begin with and I've heard Scott and Charlie say SOWN was a progression from POT like POT was a progression from SOE, but it wasn't. But whatever happened between SOWN and WCFYA is not anything close to what Anthrax was. People who think that era is Anthrax probably think their debut was excellent :)
I'm sure they're hoping for it!
I believe Scott does love the fame and would love more of it. But the lyrics haven't changed a whole lot and Charlie is the one who writes the music. He's the one that puts in all these cello and orchestrated interludes. So that's where my money is.

I don't know about the writing and Charlie's wrists. I know he' over it now. And the drums are still pretty badass. And he would still have had to do all those old songs live since they barely play any newer stuff. But I'm honestly not sure if the old drums are any crazier than the new ones.
I don't really have any critiques about his drumming on newer stuff.
But I'm open to being completely wrong on this.

Lol yeah it's like DW thinking Metallica's Load era is the best. Because everyone knows they wrote their best stuff without Cliff Burton :).

Yes. Absolutely. I like these last four albums. But not as much as everything that came before. They aren't my go to albums. I cherry pick now. I kinda take that back. I do think that Titans is the best of the four. Actually I don't really cherry pick that one.

But those other bands aren't Testament! I think they are one of the few bands that can do it. Them and Flotsam And Jetsam.

I'm not even gonna give credence to whoever made such a stupid comment!

If you want to go bloody cherry picking just wait for the season and do it...oh and take Dave Lombardo with you :p

I still can't think of a band that has done it successfully. Bands have reinvented themselves, bands have brought in old blood and remained good, but going back in time and creating something that doesn't sound dated and carbon copied I'm just not sure about.

I haven't really followed Dave much since he quit Slayer, oh yeah that other band he was in was Mr Bungle, no idea if they are touring or recording, does he even do blast beats with his other bands? Or are we just to assume that the apprentice has learnt new stuff? :)

Well that album is a few years before Empire and Mindcrime. But yes, we got slammed with the final countdown as well. I think Eyes Of A Stranger got decent airplay here.

We are still getting hit hard with the final countdown on TV ads!!
Shit, I didn't realise SL was 1990, I thought it was earlier than that. The weird thing is I remember SL being played a lot but I don't remember the band name being mentioned that often.

I'm sure they're hoping for it!
I believe Scott does love the fame and would love more of it. But the lyrics haven't changed a whole lot and Charlie is the one who writes the music. He's the one that puts in all these cello and orchestrated interludes. So that's where my money is.

I don't know about the writing and Charlie's wrists. I know he' over it now. And the drums are still pretty badass. And he would still have had to do all those old songs live since they barely play any newer stuff. But I'm honestly not sure if the old drums are any crazier than the new ones.
I don't really have any critiques about his drumming on newer stuff.
But I'm open to being completely wrong on this.

Lol yeah it's like DW thinking Metallica's Load era is the best. Because everyone knows they wrote their best stuff without Cliff Burton :).

Oh yeah that's a point, I forgot the music is mostly Charlie because Scott's just a rhythm guitarist :)

I know Gene filled in for Charlie for about three nights during the Slayer tour and there has been other fill ins. I think it's carpal tunnel he has, and I know that's not a fun thing to have so I imagine for a drummer it really does suck because when it flairs he wouldn't have a hope in hell of hitting those skins with any power. I haven't really compared new versions of old songs to their originals to see if there is much difference, I'm sure it plays some role, but Anthrax's live set is only short and it's hard to compare live songs today with when all the band were young and energetic :)

Reload is my favourite, just like Stomp 442 is my favourite Anthrax album!!

If you want to go bloody cherry picking just wait for the season and do it...oh and take Dave Lombardo with you :p

I still can't think of a band that has done it successfully. Bands have reinvented themselves, bands have brought in old blood and remained good, but going back in time and creating something that doesn't sound dated and carbon copied I'm just not sure about.

I haven't really followed Dave much since he quit Slayer, oh yeah that other band he was in was Mr Bungle, no idea if they are touring or recording, does he even do blast beats with his other bands? Or are we just to assume that the apprentice has learnt new stuff? :)
I know anything to do with Patton is on hold as he is having problems with depression or something to that effect

Damn. Ok. It's summer there right? Got any cherries?
I guess I have to ask what your definition of success is in this instance? Nobody except the biggest is really getting bigger. I think if they can maintain that that is success in today's atmosphere.
I'm not saying repeat the Gathering. I'm just saying make a balls out thrash album. Ditch some of the slow stuff they've been doing. And make the lyrics a bit more brutal and from the heart. But honestly I'm not against a carbon copy if it's good. Like I'd put Ride the Lighting and Puppets together. And the first two Flotsam albums. the first two Megadeth. I think the first two Testament go together well and Practice and Souls are very much in the same kind of thing. I'm sure there's others.
But you're right. it's been a long time since the Gathering. But that may be a good thing.

We are still getting hit hard with the final countdown on TV ads!!
Shit, I didn't realise SL was 1990, I thought it was earlier than that. The weird thing is I remember SL being played a lot but I don't remember the band name being mentioned that often.
Lol. The unknown band with a song you can't get away from!
Yeah it took a few decades off but someone did bring that Europe song back a couple years ago and it hasn't really stopped.

Oh yeah that's a point, I forgot the music is mostly Charlie because Scott's just a rhythm guitarist :)

I know Gene filled in for Charlie for about three nights during the Slayer tour and there has been other fill ins. I think it's carpal tunnel he has, and I know that's not a fun thing to have so I imagine for a drummer it really does suck because when it flairs he wouldn't have a hope in hell of hitting those skins with any power. I haven't really compared new versions of old songs to their originals to see if there is much difference, I'm sure it plays some role, but Anthrax's live set is only short and it's hard to compare live songs today with when all the band were young and energetic :)

Reload is my favourite, just like Stomp 442 is my favourite Anthrax album!!
Lol you know? I wouldn't be surprised if Charlie isn't a better guitarist than Scott.

Yeah I remember that. but I think since then he has had operations and has said he's over the carpal tunnel. I hope that's the case. I've had little twinges of it. and it's no fun. I used to love to play tennis when I was a teenager. And then one day I went to play and I couldn't even hold a racket for more than a few seconds. I couldn't play at all since.

You're right they do play a shorter set. I wonder if that's Charlie or just being the low man on the totem. I'm kinda thinking the latter? at least now.

I think the drums he's been doing are really good. That the drums to Earth On Hell are pretty badass.And as good or better than what he did in the past.

I know anything to do with Patton is on hold as he is having problems with depression or something to that effect

Damn. Ok. It's summer there right? Got any cherries?
I guess I have to ask what your definition of success is in this instance? Nobody except the biggest is really getting bigger. I think if they can maintain that that is success in today's atmosphere.
I'm not saying repeat the Gathering. I'm just saying make a balls out thrash album. Ditch some of the slow stuff they've been doing. And make the lyrics a bit more brutal and from the heart. But honestly I'm not against a carbon copy if it's good. Like I'd put Ride the Lighting and Puppets together. And the first two Flotsam albums. the first two Megadeth. I think the first two Testament go together well and Practice and Souls are very much in the same kind of thing. I'm sure there's others.
But you're right. it's been a long time since the Gathering. But that may be a good thing.

So Dave gave Patton depression? What a bastard, how can this guy be trusted? :p

Yeah but you have to pick them yourself because farmers only wanted to employ overseas migrant workers who didn't mind working for $3 a day and the government closed our borders!

Success being a good album, or one that lives up to the hype of the band making the statement. Ok, I don't blame Testament for talking up this reunion, it makes sense to talk it up, but to reignite what was there 20 years ago does seem a stretch. I'm not suggesting a new album wont be good, but how many times has a band told us the new album is excellent, brilliant, the best ever only for it to be shit. Testament are almost putting the curse on the album before they've even got there with that sort of comment.

But The Gathering is listed on wiki as death/trash with moments of Eric's blackmetal, not balls out thrash :p

Reactions: redfly and Neptune
Lol. The unknown band with a song you can't get away from!
Yeah it took a few decades off but someone did bring that Europe song back a couple years ago and it hasn't really stopped.

That Europe song was written because the singer was a fan of Space Oddity by Bowe and he wanted to write something that reflected it. He wrote it about leaving the fucking earth and not coming back, yet football teams, drink companies, bloody everyone has used the song for their ad campaigns which have nothing to do with the topic.

Lol you know? I wouldn't be surprised if Charlie isn't a better guitarist than Scott.

Yeah I remember that. but I think since then he has had operations and has said he's over the carpal tunnel. I hope that's the case. I've had little twinges of it. and it's no fun. I used to love to play tennis when I was a teenager. And then one day I went to play and I couldn't even hold a racket for more than a few seconds. I couldn't play at all since.

You're right they do play a shorter set. I wonder if that's Charlie or just being the low man on the totem. I'm kinda thinking the latter? at least now.

I think the drums he's been doing are really good. That the drums to Earth On Hell are pretty badass.And as good or better than what he did in the past.

Maybe they should get Scott's son on the kit? I haven't watched those video that keep popping up, but if they let Rebel play the kit Chauckles could come and write some kiss us guitar stuff that Scott can't play! :)

I've never suffered from it, my wife has it and her sister hasn't long ago had an op for it, but I can't imagine what it would be like to play drums if it flairs up. When I went for the physical for my shoulder to see if I could go back to work the doctor did all the test, showed I'd lost about 27% movement and it would deteriorate over time. But one of the questions he asked was how my personal life was effected and I told him I couldn't play golf. When my regular doctor read the report he said, "you never played golf!" He was right, I didn't, but I also couldn't do it any more, so technically I wasn't lying!!

Low man or old man? They are all old and get tuckered out easily...and they have to be in bed by 8pm :)

So Dave gave Patton depression? What a bastard, how can this guy be trusted? :p

Yeah but you have to pick them yourself because farmers only wanted to employ overseas migrant workers who didn't mind working for $3 a day and the government closed our borders!

Success being a good album, or one that lives up to the hype of the band making the statement. Ok, I don't blame Testament for talking up this reunion, it makes sense to talk it up, but to reignite what was there 20 years ago does seem a stretch. I'm not suggesting a new album wont be good, but how many times has a band told us the new album is excellent, brilliant, the best ever only for it to be shit. Testament are almost putting the curse on the album before they've even got there with that sort of comment.

But The Gathering is listed on wiki as death/trash with moments of Eric's blackmetal, not balls out thrash :p
Hahaha! Poor Dave.

Oh what the hell?! No Aussie cherries?! Not cool. :cry:

Well how long was Gene out before he came back? A pretty long time right? And it's not like Dave has been sitting around. He's been going at it this whole time. One may not like the band but his drumming has been pretty great.
Yes! A lot of bands have made that statement and it very rarely comes true. Like you say. I'll wait and see if they actually make that statement!
They are just excited and that is a very good thing in my eyes.
But it won't be better or as good if people don't want it to be. I love The Gathering. It's one of my absolute overall favorite albums. And line ups. But I'm going to judge this purely on it's own. I still think they can make a brutal album if they want to. but if not I still think it will be pretty good.

Well those same fuckwads on wiki think Eric's riffs sound like black metal. They aren't they are totally in keeping with Mustaine style riffing. Or if anything Black metal players are influenced by Eric. And they also say that Eric is the sole member of the original line up. Which was never ever true which I proved by Zetro answering my question and completely agreeing with me....you just bring up wiki to piss me off!! :lol::kickass:
I'll give them death/thrash. But I think Testament has run that gambit a few times even going back to the first album. It was definitely upped on Demonic and The Gathering though.
But if wiki wants to take a couple blast beats to try and legitimize black metal so be it! :)

Edit: By the way I'm not suggesting you're judging it before it's even been worked on lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slammed
That Europe song was written because the singer was a fan of Space Oddity by Bowe and he wanted to write something that reflected it. He wrote it about leaving the fucking earth and not coming back, yet football teams, drink companies, bloody everyone has used the song for their ad campaigns which have nothing to do with the topic.
Lol Pretty funny.

Maybe they should get Scott's son on the kit? I haven't watched those video that keep popping up, but if they let Rebel play the kit Chauckles could come and write some kiss us guitar stuff that Scott can't play! :)

I've never suffered from it, my wife has it and her sister hasn't long ago had an op for it, but I can't imagine what it would be like to play drums if it flairs up. When I went for the physical for my shoulder to see if I could go back to work the doctor did all the test, showed I'd lost about 27% movement and it would deteriorate over time. But one of the questions he asked was how my personal life was effected and I told him I couldn't play golf. When my regular doctor read the report he said, "you never played golf!" He was right, I didn't, but I also couldn't do it any more, so technically I wasn't lying!!

Low man or old man? They are all old and get tuckered out easily...and they have to be in bed by 8pm :)
I haven't watched them either. I don't wanna see anyone from that band unless it's about a new album.

Yeah it sucks. Lol. No it's not lying. And very funny.

So I'm definitely not great at geography. But doesn't it seem like some of these tour dates are now in jeopardy because of the war? At least in the first half? Hopefully this will end in a positive way by then. But that doesn't mean things will be stable.
Maybe I need a map!
Edit: Okay looking at the map it seems like Poland , Romania and Slovakia. (Or is that Slovenia? The map just says Slov.) are the close ones...I'm sure most of you knew that. :tickled:

July
9 - Ballenstedt, Germany - Rock Harz Festival
10 - Vizovice, Czech Republic - Masters of Rock
11 - Krakow, Poland - Studio (with Exodus, Heathen)
12 - Bratislava, Slovakia - Refinery Gallery (with Sepultura, Exodus, Death Angel, Heathen)
14 - Neukirchen-Vluyn, Germany - Dong Open Air
16 - Leoben, Austria - Area 53 Festival
17 - Cremona, Italy - Luppolo in Rock
19 - Rome, Italy - Rock in Roma (with Exodus, Death Angel, Heathen)
21 - Fritzlar, Germany - Rock am Stück
23 - Plovdiv, Bulgaria - Hills of Rock
24 - Sibiu, Romania - Art Mania
26 - Tolmin, Slovenia - Metaldays
29 - Vagos, Portugal - Vagos Metalfest
30 - Burgos, Spain - Anden 56 (with Exodus, Heathen)
31 - Pamplona, Spain - Totem (with Exodus, Heathen)

August
3 - Malaga, Spain - Paris 15 (with Exodus, Heathen)
4 - Villena, Spain - Leyendas del Rock
5 - Madrid, Spain - La Riviera (with Exodus, Heathen)
6 - Barcelona, Spain - Razzmatazz (with Exodus, Heathen)
9 - Bordeaux, France - Rocher de Palmer (with Exodus, Heathen)
12 - Catton Park, UK - Bloodstock Festival
13 - Kortrijk, Belgium - Alcatraz Festival
14 - Saarbrücken, Germany - Garage (with Exodus, Heathen)
16 - Innsbruck, Austria - Music Hall (with Exodus, Heathen)
17 - Dinkelsbühl, Germany - Summer Breeze
19 - Sulingen, Germany - Reload Festival
20 - Eindhoven, Netherlands - Dynamo Metalfest
21 - St. Nolff, France - Motocultor

Last edited:
Hahaha! Poor Dave.

Oh what the hell?! No Aussie cherries?! Not cool. :cry:

Well how long was Gene out before he came back? A pretty long time right? And it's not like Dave has been sitting around. He's been going at it this whole time. One may not like the band but his drumming has been pretty great.
Yes! A lot of bands have made that statement and it very rarely comes true. Like you say. I'll wait and see if they actually make that statement!
They are just excited and that is a very good thing in my eyes.
But it won't be better or as good if people don't want it to be. I love The Gathering. It's one of my absolute overall favorite albums. And line ups. But I'm going to judge this purely on it's own. I still think they can make a brutal album if they want to. but if not I still think it will be pretty good.

Well those same fuckwads on wiki think Eric's riffs sound like black metal. They aren't they are totally in keeping with Mustaine style riffing. Or if anything Black metal players are influenced by Eric. And they also say that Eric is the sole member of the original line up. Which was never ever true which I proved by Zetro answering my question and completely agreeing with me....you just bring up wiki to piss me off!! :lol::kickass:
I'll give them death/thrash. But I think Testament has run that gambit a few times even going back to the first album. It was definitely upped on Demonic and The Gathering though.
But if wiki wants to take a couple blast beats to try and legitimize black metal so be it! :)

Edit: By the way I'm not suggesting you're judging it before it's even been worked on lol.

I'm glad they are excited and it's great news, but Lombardo is no Rick Allen and you know it!!
I'm not disappointed with the news but I also don't want to get too excited in case it fails, no point setting myself up for sadness down the track.
:p
I am just shitting on the band mostly but I can't help thinking they could have done better with an up and comer, it doesn't make me right but I will get more mileage out of this poor decision :)

I'm pretty sure Eric only gets associated with black metal because of DragonLord which I don't even know whether it's still going. I don't think the Gathering actually had black metal moments, and if Eric had been in a dance band I reckon those same people would be saying the album had dance music on it. I only bring up wiki to test your memory and see if they ever get something right :p

Oh of course I'm not judging it before it's made, I judged it the moment news broke and have just been riding that ill judged idea ever since :p

Reactions: redfly