The what's going on in Thrash thread

Yeah same here. There's a few people that didn't really get a memorial that I thought would have. Sean Reinert and Reed for C.O.C.

I know! By the pic I really thought it was going to be a digi. Happily surprised!

COC haven't really done much at all for themselves, let alone for the fans, it's a bit of a bummer really.

Are you ready to apologise to the label for doubting them or is the jewel case not enough? :)

Reactions: Neptune and redfly
Yeah it really is a letdown.

Oh hell no! They don't get off the hook that easy!

COC have so many fans, they may not talk about the band too much but they come out when the band offers up something. It seems strange that those fans don't get recognised by the band.

You could email them and tell them they aren't off the hook, but they probably wont reply :)

Reactions: redfly and Neptune
COC have so many fans, they may not talk about the band too much but they come out when the band offers up something. It seems strange that those fans don't get recognised by the band.

You could email them and tell them they aren't off the hook, but they probably wont reply :)
Pretty much summed it perfectly.

Well I think that's all the money they're getting out of me for a while. So jokes on them!

Reactions: Neptune and Slammed
I listened to Manifest Decimation and you're right about the vocals. Because I'm an expert on the situation :p my expert opinion is that it's all about the 'raw' feel they were going for. He does sound a little strange in his phone booth but when the first broke there was some talk about them pushing for the raw feel that other thrash bands weren't offering at the time. The guitars and drums seem a bit toned down and raw but as you say his vocals appear to have been done in a phone booth, so maybe the raw feeling was trying to make it sound like those old school recordings where they full isolated the vocalist and let his own echo take over rather than reverb off the desk. Of course I could be wrong too!
The second album doesn't sound the same.

Aha! :headbang: I think you are correct. I’m leaning toward they didn’t exactly come out the way they wanted if the next album isn’t like that. I have to pick it up.

Speaking of raw. That Misfire is pretty raw sounding. Pretty good. I guess if I had one suggestion for the singer it would be to completely drop the little bit of having a monster voice at times. Because his straight thrash voice is really good. Slightly reminiscent of Wrathchild America but not as high pitched. Lots of attitude. But
I wouldn’t even say that it’s a gripe for me.

Reactions: Slammed and Neptune
Well they did make a huge deal about being old school and raw and their live shows at the time were the same. People who witnessed some of those early live shows reckon the band was straight out of the underground thrash scene of the 80's.

Yeah I had a listen on bandcamp. Not sure if the new label has remastered it on not but the bandcamp version does sound raw, as you'd expect a lot of unsigned bands to be who can't afford big studios to record in. I agree with you about his voice, as good as both are I think they need to write dedicated songs for either, not just write songs and have him sing as it comes out.

Reactions: redfly
They do sound old school. But that vocal effect or recording technique wasn't something people wanted back in the day I don't think. I think it was due to budget and lack of knowledge on the part of certain producers. So if it was on purpose I can see why they didn't continue with it.

If the new label remastered it it must have been really raw really raw!

Reactions: Slammed
Yeah I agree, budget, technology and producers produced it, why they wanted it in 2013 I don't know, but like you say if it was on purpose it was good that they didn't continue. Apart from anything they couldn't continue it in the live show anyway I wouldn't reckon. They certainly didn't do it for older songs in the live shows.

You should email them and ask :p

Reactions: redfly
Good ban though. I look forward to getting their other albums. I still need to dig in more on the one have too. Fucking fentanyl.

LOL! :lol::lol:;)

The only have one other album, Nightmare Logic.
They released a live album just before Riley died in 2020 and they have one compilation which from memory is the compilation of their 3 EPs. The others are either singles or demos and the two other live albums I'm not sure if they are official recordings (i.e. done properly) or just sound board releases the band released themselves.

Yeah. At least LOG is good live... they have energy at least. I don't think there's anything positive about Trivium.
Shit you might have to raise that to 60% Who knows how Megadeth with sound!

I imagine LOG and Trivium will pull different groups of fans than just Megadeth and a few other thrash bands. Pre-pandemic, hell, even pre-married life when I frequented more live metal shows I noticed their was a distinct death metal crowd in Vegas that did not usually go to thrash metal shows.

About a decade ago I went to the Summer Slaughter tour and it was two distinct crowds. The younger guys were there for bands like the Faceless, Job for a Cowboy, and Between the Buried and Me. The older crowd took over the pit during performances by Goatwhore, Exhumed, and Cannibal Corpse.

Depending on the day Dave talks about it it's that diversity in crowds that he wants.
He mentioned only a few weeks back how having different bands on the bill meant that crowds could have a wider range of fans. But then a few days before he also mentioned something about how like bands on a bill was the best sort of thing fans and bands could hope for. Of course he took credit for both sides of the argument by reminding people he organised Clash Of The Titans and he organised The Metal Tour Of The Year.