The what's going on in Thrash thread

Those are all fair points, but it is tough to want to give them any financial support after all that.

I tossed all my iced earth CDs and gear after Jon Scaffer participated in trying to overturn a democratic election. Fuck that traitor.

MI don't can the Destruction album, but I think, without hearing it, they make some valid points.

Bah, each to their own but the fact that as a group a band who writes songs about pirates, drinking and being fucked by an anchor is not a bunch of childish twats when they are in a private group is not something I'd consider a game changer. Damn if one didn't think they were capable of such childish prattle that's some mighty fine rose coloured glasses they were looking through. Think about all the silly conversations you've had in pubs or just at home with mates while drunk or stoned. I'm sure at one point we've all had at least one conversation we can look back on today and think it was wrong, immoral, or just plain stupid. The difference is we aren't famous enough that one of our 'friends' can get pissed off and leak it to the internet.
I've never had a stupid conversation in my life! :erk::rolleyes:

Those are all fair points, but it is tough to want to give them any financial support after all that.

I tossed all my iced earth CDs and gear after Jon Scaffer participated in trying to overturn a democratic election. Fuck that traitor.

What John did and what Chris did are vastly different in my book. I wont go as far as throwing out my IE CDs, but I wont support the guy because what he did was supremely stupid. Have you even read what Chris and co were talking about?

What John did and what Chris did are vastly different in my book. I wont go as far as throwing out my IE CDs, but I wont support the guy because what he did was supremely stupid. Have you even read what Chris and co were talking about?
I think you get a pass anyway. I'd not go so far as to think people in other countries can't like him. He didn't try and overthrow your government after all. Mind you,that's not to say it's going to stop me from calling him a shitbag traitor :cool:. And giving Zerostatic a round of applause :lol:.

I think you get a pass anyway. I'd not go so far as to think people in other countries can't like him. He didn't try and overthrow your government after all. Mind you,that's not to say it's going to stop me from calling him a shitbag traitor :cool:. And giving Zerostatic a round of applause :lol:.

I don't want a pass :p
But I don't see any reason to throw out CD's I've paid for and still enjoy. I knew John was an outspoken dick when I bought the albums, shit one read of the lyrics sheet and I know I don't agree with everything the guy was trying to say, but I like the music. The other thing to is that I've already supported him and the rest of the band by buying those albums, throwing them in the bin isn't going to change that even if it gives me warm and fuzzy feeling inside. Not supporting him into the future if he does do something will have more effect than anything else people have done.

But when it comes to Chris and co in Gloryhammer, they spoke some shit in a private chatroom. They got a little silly, they went a little too far and all would have remained fine and private had they not sacked the singer. The same guy who got sacked was involved in the chat, the same guy was talking the same shit they were, but after being sacked he decided to pay them back by releasing the private chat to the world and saying "look at them being dicks". At least Chris apologised, albeit a written statement on a website, the pissweak lead singer who hadn't been carrying his weight, hadn't been putting in effort live and had been ignoring the band and their requests that he improve, walked away from the shit storm and stopped talking to the media so he couldn't share any of the blame.

I'm fine with people choosing their own hill to die on, we all do it from time to time, but to even mention what Chris and Co did in the same breath as what John did is a bit far fetched. Words that 10 years ago wouldn't even have been offensive to most people versus actions to try and topple a government. Major difference! To prescribe the same punishment for both crimes, while no one will ever really know, is what cancel culture is all about.

Reactions: redfly and Neptune
That would be so funny. Hey he said he wanted different right? :p

Well unfortunately so many people/bands have jumped on the pirate band wagon I think Chuck's going to get a free pass here because if he did do it it wouldn't be that different. Actually there is a guy who I can't think of right now that plays in a pirate metal band with a triple barrelled name and he does growl a lot like Chuck.

Reactions: redfly and Neptune
But I don't see any reason to throw out CD's I've paid for and still enjoy. I knew John was an outspoken dick when I bought the albums, shit one read of the lyrics sheet and I know I don't agree with everything the guy was trying to say, but I like the music. The other thing to is that I've already supported him and the rest of the band by buying those albums, throwing them in the bin isn't going to change that even if it gives me warm and fuzzy feeling inside. Not supporting him into the future if he does do something will have more effect than anything else people have done.

But when it comes to Chris and co in Gloryhammer, they spoke some shit in a private chatroom. They got a little silly, they went a little too far and all would have remained fine and private had they not sacked the singer. The same guy who got sacked was involved in the chat, the same guy was talking the same shit they were, but after being sacked he decided to pay them back by releasing the private chat to the world and saying "look at them being dicks". At least Chris apologised, albeit a written statement on a website, the pissweak lead singer who hadn't been carrying his weight, hadn't been putting in effort live and had been ignoring the band and their requests that he improve, walked away from the shit storm and stopped talking to the media so he couldn't share any of the blame.

I'm fine with people choosing their own hill to die on, we all do it from time to time, but to even mention what Chris and Co did in the same breath as what John did is a bit far fetched. Words that 10 years ago wouldn't even have been offensive to most people versus actions to try and topple a government. Major difference! To prescribe the same punishment for both crimes, while no one will ever really know, is what cancel culture is all about.

A lot of fair points. What Jon Schaffer did is far worse than the locker room talk from the private message thread of the boys from Gloryhammer. I shouldn't have mentioned it here or compared the two. I guess my point is that I find it difficult to support behavior I find reprehensible.

Then again, we are talking about the behavior of a bunch of guys in a metal band so what did I expect?:lol: In time, I am sure I will get over it.

About a decade ago I saw Asesino live and there were fans getting pissed when the band started talking shit about Gringos between songs. I remember thinking...so all of the other shit about death and religion doesn't bother you? It is the comments about Gringos? :lol:

A bunch of childish guys in a metal band that sing about unicorns and dragons.

I'm not offended by words, whether they are aimed at me, or someone else. I understand some people will be, and that is their right but it doesn't make it wrong just because they are offended. We all talk shit from time to time, we all say something that annoys, disappoints, or even upsets someone from time to time because we are all humans. Actions are different, I see a persons actions as deliberate, something they choose to do where as plenty of humans talk shit without thinking.

I am constantly amazed by what people are offended by, I watch a lot of local stand up comedy and if a white person makes a joke about Aboriginal people it's often condemned quickly. Whereas there is a whole bunch of Aboriginal comedians hitting the stages now and attacking the white person is fair game in just about every aspect. There is even jokes that were once against Aboriginal people that have since been deemed too risky now being used against white people to up roars of laughter and cheers. People are so fucking strange when it comes to being upset and offended I can't keep up with them!

So if this guy was Australian and he tried to overthrow your government and people died and he believed in a bunch of bullshit and supported one of the biggest pieces of shit in history. You'd still enjoy and keep his albums?
I don't think it's about a fuzzy feeling. It's about being disgusted.

Edit: I forgot. You are a hell of a lot more forgiving than I am!

P.S. I'm having wicked connectivity problems and I'm probably going to have to reset my laptop to factory settings. It might not come back. I'm going to loose all my bookmarks and everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neptune and Slammed