The what's going on in Thrash thread

That must have been when Frankie joined Helmet? I guess Danny would have been gone already. But I thought they still had Bush and the other guitar player. I didn't know it was down to those two either.

He must have been making some good money. I think AMC was carrying the gambling show for a while and I think he was on it. TV usually pays good and that would have been on top of his winnings. He got lucky pulling that money out!

Was 2010ish so Danny was well gone. None of the usual sites, wiki, RYM, MA, actually list Frank leaving around that time so I wonder if it wasn't just something internal where they didn't officially split but angry words had been exchanged.

He didn't elaborate on the contracts so I don't know if he got paid extra to play, or got free air travel etc, but by the sounds of it there was about 10 people in the same position as him. There are tournaments he spoke about where there was $100k on the table and the winner takes all, so getting that warning to pull his money out and actually listening was definitely a lucky move. I can see why some people on the internet claim he was ripping the system off but by his words I don't think he was.

Reactions: redfly
Haha! Oops.
I don't doubt at all that Zakk's is better. I can't take away that he does know how to build a song. Oh wait. Are you talking about that sappy song? Man I hated that song lol. And the video. I thought it was off writing a tribute to a guy that was always so on the go and full of life with a such a downer off a song. And then the video off the two off them being played by kids. I thought the other kid should have been Vinny. Not Zakk. But other than that he knows how to write a song, they just aren't all my cup of tea.

Zakk wrote more than one song for Dime because they were all long time mates, back to childhood I believe. But he did write a sappy song playing piano in a river which was pretty boring but heart felt. Zakk was pretty ruined when Dime got shot he nearly gave up the music because of it, it's also changed a lot of things he does in life. Scott's words, which he states are about Dime but not solely about Dime aren't too bad but I don't like that song much either :p

Reactions: redfly
Yeah that river song, that was it. I didn't know he wrote more than one song about him though.. Oh yeah the song In The End right? Yeah he said it was Dime and Ronnie. I dispute them being childhood friends though as Zakk is from Jersey and the Abott's are from Texas. BUT. I don't harshly dispute it because I have no frickin clue about it :p Not that it matters. I know they were very close for a long time before he was killed.

Reactions: Slammed
Maybe they were internet lovers at a young age :p
Pen pals
Phone buddies
Homing pigeon friends
Message in a bottle swappers
Telepathic mind benders

Stop using your guitar jargon to bring the guy down! :p

I would suggest that even a decade ago the crowd would have varied dependant on location.
He is a tough guy flexing. He films himself being beaten up by his band mates. He openly admits he wants to be a viking. His wife claims he wakes up each morning telling her he's a viking. He named his kid Sabbath and calls Sharon Osbourne, Mom. If he's not pumping iron he's drinking the world's strongest coffee, which he also makes, and bouncing around the room. He plays with an Evel Kinevel and a Betty White doll. The guy's a complete idiot. His 'band chapters' are set up like motorcycle gangs to give fans something to 'belong' to just like the KISS Army. He doesn't even have a set band, just players in different areas who play when they are available. He's basically spent two decades making an image so many metal fans want to dislike and it's worked a treat.

I would suggest that even a decade ago the crowd would have varied dependant on location.
He is a tough guy flexing. He films himself being beaten up by his band mates. He openly admits he wants to be a viking. His wife claims he wakes up each morning telling her he's a viking. He named his kid Sabbath and calls Sharon Osbourne, Mom. If he's not pumping iron he's drinking the world's strongest coffee, which he also makes, and bouncing around the room. He plays with an Evel Kinevel and a Betty White doll. The guy's a complete idiot. His 'band chapters' are set up like motorcycle gangs to give fans something to 'belong' to just like the KISS Army. He doesn't even have a set band, just players in different areas who play when they are available. He's basically spent two decades making an image so many metal fans want to dislike and it's worked a treat.
You know way too much about this :p. Jk. ;)

You know way too much about this :p. Jk. ;)

I'm unashamedly a fan. I own everything he's recorded. I own his books. I own several DVD's. I'd own one of his viking beanies and drink his coffee if they weren't so expensive to import into this country. I laugh at people that rip on the guy, especially those who only know his image and nothing about him.

I don't have an issue with Zakk, but he is a bit of weird guy. For years it seemed like he was trying to convince everyone he was a southern redneck/hippy. Wearing bell bottoms, Pride And Glory was a lot of southern rock, the rebel flag on his guitar, and then all of a sudden he's a viking biker. Just kinda weird is all.

Like Randy Rhodes his original intention wasn't metal, he spent years on the piano, so even the redneck thing was just another stage of life. But he did go back to Book Of Shadows a year or two back so he proved he can slip back into redneck on cue.

If I could pump iron and grow a decent beard I'd be a viking too, but instead I'll always be a redneck. Must be time to listen to Pride And Glory!!

So Randy has covid and Blythecore needs to get some fill ins to play some gigs. I wonder if MegaDave and co have been practising safe-gigging.

Reactions: Neptune and redfly
In case anyone is still interested in picking up a bargain I can point you in the direction of some Zakk Wylde....only kidding.

The Menza Auction is still live. As of about 24 hours ago the jacket was up to $550 and the books were mostly still under $115, with only one r two getting higher than $150.

Like Randy Rhodes his original intention wasn't metal, he spent years on the piano, so even the redneck thing was just another stage of life. But he did go back to Book Of Shadows a year or two back so he proved he can slip back into redneck on cue.

If I could pump iron and grow a decent beard I'd be a viking too, but instead I'll always be a redneck. Must be time to listen to Pride And Glory!!
It was jsut weird. For years growing up I actually thought he was from the south. Then I found out he was Jersey and it was a wtf? moment. But hey, it's weirdness that makes life interesting.

In case anyone is still interested in picking up a bargain I can point you in the direction of some Zakk Wylde....only kidding.

The Menza Auction is still live. As of about 24 hours ago the jacket was up to $550 and the books were mostly still under $115, with only one r two getting higher than $150.
Oh shit I forgot all about it! But all that is way more than I'd pay anyway. That's guitar money!

Reactions: Neptune and Slammed
It was jsut weird. For years growing up I actually thought he was from the south. Then I found out he was Jersey and it was a wtf? moment. But hey, it's weirdness that makes life interesting.

Be geographically challenged, like I am when it comes to American geography, and it doesn't matter where he actually comes from he's just a redneck....a redneck with viking hertiage which seems even more legit!

Oh shit I forgot all about it! But all that is way more than I'd pay anyway. That's guitar money!

But wouldn't such memorabilia validate your guitar jargon better so you can pick on Wah Wah Zakk? :p

I wouldn't pay $100+ for a book he's singed unless it was something that meant something to him, a tour itinerary really doesn't seem that important to the guy. Maybe I don't judge signatures as valuable enough, but to me it's just not worth it. Now if I had a book and he signed it in front of me it would be worth more than $100 to me, but I'm not buying something he signed for someone else.