The what's going on in Thrash thread

Been a down summer for me as far as new releases, nothing that I would consider great has been released. I like the new Kreator and Municipal Waste but they are not groundbreaking albums for either band or the thrash genre.

Maybe the new Megadeth will just kick us all in the face with amazing riffs and catchy songs! :kickass::lol: I also saw Exmortus post on FB about a new album sometime this fall so that is another one to look forward to as well.

Reactions: Slammed
The last really good album that came out was Obituary, but since that was a live version of Slowly We Rot I'm not sure that counts :)

I had higher than expected hopes for the new Megadeth until I heard the 3rd song. Sure we can all hear the recycled riffs in the previous two songs but something about the lyrics and the delivery of those lyrics in the 3rd song just didn't work for me. I'll still be a first day buyer (stock permitting) but I'm less excited.

Exmortus have had some good stuff in the past, I'd need to go back over their catalogue to think about what is a stand out though. I'll no doubt give it a listen.

Glad to hear it is not just me thinking that some releases have been subpar lately.

Exmortus played Las Vegas frequently and I lost count of the number of times I have seen them live. They kind of straddle that line between death and thrash. My biggest criticism of their last few albums has been the production. I rank their albums as follows:

1) Slave to the Sword - so many great songs with virtuoso guitar leads, killer riffs and memorable songs like the title track, Battle Born, Foe-Hammer, and Metal is King!:kickass:
2) In Hatred's Flame - took me a while to track down a copy of this on CD. :headbang:
3) Ride Forth
4) The Sound of Steel
5) Beyond the Fall of Time

I remember hearing Slave to the Sword and being blown away by it but I'd have to listen to them all again to do any more of a ranking.
I should give them a listen, especially since they have something new soon.

Reactions: zerostatic
Hey zero, was it you who said a while ago they watched Studio 666? I finally got around to watching it last night.
As far as horror movies go it's fairly unsurprising and quite predictable, and as a comedy it's definitely not a winner. Seems like it's a lot of one line jokes, many old ones, sewn together to make a script. It's not a terrible movie but it's far from a great movie. The gore level is pretty high in some scenes but it's very 80's like with little realism, maybe that's what they were going for but to me it was a wasted opportunity.

I expect the new Megadeth album to be good but not great, and better than the last few albums. Of course, no surprise, it will blow Metallica out of the water.

Sounds like Kiko has really stepped up and fits in better now and Dirk and Mustaine's voice sounded a lot better than I expected.

New album is not that far away, only a week or two and soon we'll get to make our own choice about how good or bad it is.
Their live shows are still going down relatively well so if nothing else Dave can turn Megadeth into a nostalgia act like Anthrax and play sets of 10 songs or less.

Hey zero, was it you who said a while ago they watched Studio 666? I finally got around to watching it last night.
As far as horror movies go it's fairly unsurprising and quite predictable, and as a comedy it's definitely not a winner. Seems like it's a lot of one line jokes, many old ones, sewn together to make a script. It's not a terrible movie but it's far from a great movie. The gore level is pretty high in some scenes but it's very 80's like with little realism, maybe that's what they were going for but to me it was a wasted opportunity.
Yeah, I saw it back in February I think. I agree with your assessment of the movie, although I think I enjoyed it more since I am a fan of Foo Fighters and Dave Grohl.

Yeah, I saw it back in February I think. I agree with your assessment of the movie, although I think I enjoyed it more since I am a fan of Foo Fighters and Dave Grohl.

I didn't dislike it but I do think they could have done a lot more. Some of the gags were lame as hell but they fitted the movie. Frying Kerry was a nice touch, killing Taylor with a cymbal and then seeing his body slide down the wall was pretty good, but there wasn't really anything that blew me away. I don't mind Dave and the FF's, I listen to whatever they release and I like Dave's humour in some of those film clips, but I'm not really a big enough fan to buy anything, my wife has a few of their albums. Had it been by a band I was more into I might well have appreciated it more, I just think they could have done better.

How rude!
I will sit in the corner and listen to my Scott Ian audio books telling me how great Metallica are and how Anthrax are indebted to them and you will not laugh at me!!

lol...please tell me you don't have a Scott Ian Doll that you hang out with!:lol:

So were Neptune and Redfly the same guy? Weird how they both just dropped off the forum.

Life size....it's 2 foot tall :)

Nah I don't think so. It would have been a pretty good ruse because when I came here redfly and Neptune were the only active members so that would mean the real one was talking to himself to keep the forum alive. That's some good dedication, not the kind of dedication you walk away from over a silly conversation that meant nothing. Redfly still comments on the odd Testament or Flotz video I've seen on YT, so he's still on line. There has been a few new names pop up in the comments section of Blabbermouth, so maybe we've been replaced by Blabber. :)

Anthrax announced on FB:

"Sadly due to ongoing logistical issues and 2022 costs that are out of our control, we have no other option but to cancel the European leg of our upcoming 2022 tour. We will however be coming to the UK as scheduled.
Tickets can be refunded at point of purchase"

With gas prices and inflation costs for everything I am surprised more bands are not cancelling tours. This is rough news coming out of the pandemic. If Anthrax can't make it work it makes me wonder how others make it work. Is this a sign of decline for Anthrax?

I think the decline of Anthrax has been happening for a while. When you take into account they are headlining a tour with a 6 or 7 year old album playing a set that has up to 4 covers in it and a set that really hasn't changed since they last toured there, what incentive is there for fans to buy tickets, especially if there is other shows to see?

I'm sure costs are higher than they used to be but lets face it 'higher costs' is just another way of saying 'we didn't sell enough tickets'. I'm sure other bands will be effected by the higher costs of living, especially in Europe where some stuff has rising astronomically, and some will cancel. But Anthrax have pretty much brought this on themselves, even their diehard fans are getting sick of waiting for this album that is still another 12 months away at best.

Megadeth day today

As my daughter would say "new Megadeth is very Megadethy"
There's no mistaking the music, the voice, the whole album screams Megadeth, just it scream current Megadeth not old Megadeth. That's not to say it's terrible, there is some good riffing, some good tunes and Dave's vocals are obviously a love or hate type thing. There is some recycling of riffs from previous albums going on which I suppose he's allowed to do. Dave's even made some weird statement about this being a shout out to old NWOBHM and I guess I can hear it a little bit. But is it worth the wait, or the pre-release praise it was getting? I'd say as a Megadeth fan yes, but it surely wont win over any new fans.

Sadly as Dave is so prone to doing he's been shooting his mouth off a little too much lately and that does fall badly on the new record. It's funny how he claims he sacked Jnr because he just didn't want the bad press and the 'look' it created. Yet 12 months on he's now taken to lying about what actually happened with the recording, in relation to Jnr's parts, and blaming Jnr for trying to 'poach' songs from him. It's made even funnier when the song he's talking about Jnr poaching from more than 10 years ago and is a song which many have suggested 'poaches' so much from other bands. But then I suppose if would be Dave Mustaine if he wasn't throwing someone else under a bus with stories that aren't entirely true.