The what's going on in Thrash thread

Right, and thrash has plenty of that too. I'm just saying the line is pretty blurry unless the band has no dimension to it.
Someone from one of those early Death Metal bands recently said that Death Metal was created to be more brutal than Thrash. I don't really find a cartoon voice as some of these bands have more brutal than honest aggression. And of course there is the flip of that with bands like Anthrax who do more singing.

Reactions: Slammed
Another thing is Joe Satriani said Kirk came to him to show him how to solo over this kind of music when he joined Metallica lol. So really this whole thing is a battle of months with really no clear winner...which is why again ahem Zetro. Everyone. Metallica, Overkill, Slayer, Exodus, Metal Church etc has said we were all doing it around the same time.

Yeah about the only credible thing Zetro said was that he was part of Legacy and three of them actually had a hand in doing what they were doing so it wasn't all down to him in a band he hadn't yet joined.

Reactions: redfly
Right, and thrash has plenty of that too. I'm just saying the line is pretty blurry unless the band has no dimension to it.
Someone from one of those early Death Metal bands recently said that Death Metal was created to be more brutal than Thrash. I don't really find a cartoon voice as some of these bands have more brutal than honest aggression. And of course there is the flip of that with bands like Anthrax who do more singing.

Originally I think the difference between the two was mainly the vocals but it's changed over the years. A band like Obituary the vocals aren't that hard to understand yet they are classed as one of the best death metal acts and have appeared on many a thrash bill, but bands like Napalm Death, or Carcass etc their vocals were a lot harder to understand in the early days. My kids would be happy to listen to the music and the eldest understands most of the choruses from bands like Megadeth and Slayer within a few listens is singing them, if she cant do the same with a band because of growly lyrics it doesn't matter if the music is thrash or some of that new age metal shit her cousins listen too she wont listen to it.

Originally I think the difference between the two was mainly the vocals but it's changed over the years. A band like Obituary the vocals aren't that hard to understand yet they are classed as one of the best death metal acts and have appeared on many a thrash bill, but bands like Napalm Death, or Carcass etc their vocals were a lot harder to understand in the early days. My kids would be happy to listen to the music and the eldest understands most of the choruses from bands like Megadeth and Slayer within a few listens is singing them, if she cant do the same with a band because of growly lyrics it doesn't matter if the music is thrash or some of that new age metal shit her cousins listen too she wont listen to it.
I mean like the obnoxious vocal style where it's an acquired taste. For instance I don't find Deaths vocals and Overkills too far off. When Blitz isn't singing.

Reactions: Neptune and Slammed
I mean like the obnoxious vocal style where it's an acquired taste. For instance I don't find Deaths vocals and Overkills too far off. When Blitz isn't singing.

I haven't tried Overkill yet but we had RIP on in the car on the way to school this morning and my eldest was singing to RIP/Polaris. They were singing Queen in class the other day so I'm hoping one day she works Megadeth into the class work :)

Reactions: Neptune and redfly
And I've heard the Legacy stuff. Chuck crushes Zetro's versions

It's not something I have ever bothered listening too. I think he suits Exodus better than Dukes, I think he's better in Hatriot than in DDP and I think the difference of Tenet makes it interesting but I don't think it's something I'd follow religiously if it continued, even with Gene's drumming.

Reactions: redfly and Neptune
Morbid Angel are definitely sounding better than they have for a while. Album is out tomorrow, I think I'll be going shopping.

Reactions: Slammed