The what's going on in Thrash thread

Well he did have a point, when you watch Dazed And Confused go for 25 odd minutes it does get a bit boring. I used to always skip D&C when I watched The Song Remains The Same. But in many ways it was a bit rich of him saying it given that a few years later his band was relying on his solo work to get the rest of the band a break on stage, then by the early 90's he was doing solos from all over the arena in three or four different songs.

I used to like Tommy Lee's drum solos and before him Gene Simmons bass solos because of the theatrics but they only needed to be seen once. I'm pretty much the same with Joey's Indian's dance, or the way Maiden drag out Run to the Hills, they are getting hard to watch and listen too after so long.

Kirk and Rob have been told to jam so that Old Man Larz has time to suck down a few cans of oxygen while no one is watching.

Reactions: redfly
Sounds like it's good. I didn't know they were from Boston.
http://bravewords.com/reviews/meliah-rage-idol-hands

On first listen I do like it, not sure if it's quite the return to 'old school' some have claimed but I am getting sick of the press continually saying bands are returning to old school. I'm going to give it another listen tomorrow and see how much more or less I like it.

Reactions: redfly and Neptune
It’s weird right so as time goes by bands tunes tend to reshape a little bit live. I too have a tendency not to care too much about drum solos,guitar solos still interest me though.Long jams if done correctly with the right amount of improvisation can be very cool.Overall live albums in general never really hit the mark for me,with the exception of a few like live at the Fillmore,Another lesson in violence and some others.It’s the production aspect for me the flatness overdub stuff!

Reactions: redfly and Slammed
I still reckon one of the best ever live CD's is Neil Diamond's Hot August Night so I do tend to agree that often live albums don't hit the mark for me. I have liked watching most of the Metallica videos that have been getting released every few days, their show and production is top notch even if the band annoy me a bit, but I wont be buying any live recordings of the current tour.

I don't know what it's like over there but here we get quite a few side shows for some muso/guitarists when they tour. Devy's done them multiple times, Malmsteen did them about 20 years ago, Zakk's done them over the years, even members of Maiden and Megadeth etc have done them. Some are marketed as meet and greets and some as clinics but for me that's where long jams and solos belong. Give me a few solos in a live show but I don't want to see someone standing on stage for ten minutes just playing chords, I want another song.

Reactions: Neptune
I still reckon one of the best ever live CD's is Neil Diamond's Hot August Night so I do tend to agree that often live albums don't hit the mark for me. I have liked watching most of the Metallica videos that have been getting released every few days, their show and production is top notch even if the band annoy me a bit, but I wont be buying any live recordings of the current tour.

I don't know what it's like over there but here we get quite a few side shows for some muso/guitarists when they tour. Devy's done them multiple times, Malmsteen did them about 20 years ago, Zakk's done them over the years, even members of Maiden and Megadeth etc have done them. Some are marketed as meet and greets and some as clinics but for me that's where long jams and solos belong. Give me a few solos in a live show but I don't want to see someone standing on stage for ten minutes just playing chords, I want another song.
I could name one Neil Diamond song lol

I'm not sure about the side shows.

Reactions: Neptune and Slammed
I could name one Neil Diamond song lol

I'm not sure about the side shows.

I could name lots :p

Our side shows seemed to occur a lot around festivals time. A means for bands to do more gigs on the days off and do more cities, but some of the more talented (or maybe money hungry) started to do clinics and personal meet and greet type things at smaller venues with instruments.

Reactions: Neptune and redfly
I was just reading that. I swear we are the only ones left on the planet to be asked what we think about Slayer retiring.

Reactions: Neptune
I've always figured that Chuck just gets too busy to record. When he's on the road he's got one job, but at home he seems to have about 400 jobs.

Reactions: redfly and Neptune