The what's going on in Thrash thread

Not sure of the full details but this popped up on FB a few minutes ago from Jason Bittner

En route to Resurrection Fest in Spain.....thanks to BRITISH AIRWAYS and IBERIA AIRLINES for losing DD and Derek’s guitars, Rafał Brauer guitar gear, Dave Linsk’s and my in ear rack, Jeffrey Wells workbox, and my full cymbal case!!! Oh don’t worry they say -“we can have it for you by Saturday!”

We play today........

I’m already thanking Roy Mayorga for getting me out of a jam today and Randy Black and Martin Furia doing the same tomorrow!​
Oh shit, no good!

Reactions: Slammed
Oh shit, no good!

Calling out two companies like that is pretty drastic. I understand what a prick it is to have lost luggage but considering the shit that travels through airports these days it's amazing anything gets anywhere really. It could well be incompetent airlines but naming them both could be setting themselves up for loosing something else on the return trip.

Reactions: redfly
Absolutely

This is another death metal band that have been around for a long time but it's a band I don't listen too a lot. I like some of their music, some of the songs really do thrash it out but I've never been compelled to buy all their albums. This song is the same, after listening to it I like the music but the vocals don't do much for me.

Someone’s coming around to the SAINT lol!

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/jo...r-anthrax-and-armored-saint-to-tour-together/

Maybe more people can come around if John gets his dream. I don't know how the spilt between John and Anthrax really went down but I can't see the two bands touring with each other. Joey's quoted comment at the end of the article (which could easily be a misquote) to me suggests Joey wouldn't be on board with the tour idea. Joey almost comes across as a first class douche with that statement so maybe it is a misquote.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/jo...r-anthrax-and-armored-saint-to-tour-together/

Maybe more people can come around if John gets his dream. I don't know how the spilt between John and Anthrax really went down but I can't see the two bands touring with each other. Joey's quoted comment at the end of the article (which could easily be a misquote) to me suggests Joey wouldn't be on board with the tour idea. Joey almost comes across as a first class douche with that statement so maybe it is a misquote.
Ya know I've never heard or seen Joey be a douche. I think if anything it could be insecurity. Which I think is completely understandable with the way Anthrax drops members.

Reactions: Neptune and Slammed
This is another death metal band that have been around for a long time but it's a band I don't listen too a lot. I like some of their music, some of the songs really do thrash it out but I've never been compelled to buy all their albums. This song is the same, after listening to it I like the music but the vocals don't do much for me.

I've tried so many times to get into Deicide. But the vocals are a hard pill to swallow.

Reactions: Neptune
Ya know I've never heard or seen Joey be a douche. I think if anything it could be insecurity. Which I think is completely understandable with the way Anthrax drops members.

I remember reading something recently that said Joey refused to sing Bush's songs, which did sound like an insecurity type thing (and less douchey than the quote in that article). But I wouldn't have thought Anthrax would let him dictate to them about which songs they played. I would reckon they still have a large make up of fans that like John era Anthrax and to ignore it could alienate fans, for that reason I would have thought Scott and Charlie would be telling Joey what to sing. Maybe they are all insecure that Joey couldn't do the John era songs justice.

I might be mistaken but I thought I read either Charlie or Scott said they didn't want to do Bush songs either. Past is the past kind of thing. But also they are to completely different frontmen and really the band as well. Personally for me, I don't have much interest in Joey doing Bush songs. I heard him do Only and it just wasn't right because of those differences.

I've tried so many times to get into Deicide. But the vocals are a hard pill to swallow.

Yeah I find myself wanting an instrumental of most of the songs, because the music behind the voice is at times cool.

There was a clip I saw yesterday which was just the vocal track of Raining Blood, all the music had been removed, (because apparently Tom's words are too hard to decipher with music). I need that sort of thing with Deicide, all the vocals removed and just the instrument tracks.

Reactions: Neptune and redfly
I might be mistaken but I thought I read either Charlie or Scott said they didn't want to do Bush songs either. Past is the past kind of thing. But also they are to completely different frontmen and really the band as well. Personally for me, I don't have much interest in Joey doing Bush songs. I heard him do Only and it just wasn't right because of those differences.

I remember reading something like that, but lets face it "the past is the past" is a lame excuse given that they still do songs that are older than John era songs. If the past really was the past they wouldn't play anything but the new albums so I find that a convenient excuse and little more. I understand Joey doesn't sound like John and that could be unsettling for him to play those songs but the same challenge is felt by any new front man in an old band. John would have had the same reservations about singing old Anthrax songs. Did Joey not have any reservations about singing Antisocial or Got the Time? I don't much care about most of John era Anthrax but the fact that they wont play any of White Noise is one of the reasons I wont see them live. Not that they seem to want to give me a chance to not see them again since they don't tour here.

I remember reading something like that, but lets face it "the past is the past" is a lame excuse given that they still do songs that are older than John era songs. If the past really was the past they wouldn't play anything but the new albums so I find that a convenient excuse and little more. I understand Joey doesn't sound like John and that could be unsettling for him to play those songs but the same challenge is felt by any new front man in an old band. John would have had the same reservations about singing old Anthrax songs. Did Joey not have any reservations about singing Antisocial or Got the Time? I don't much care about most of John era Anthrax but the fact that they wont play any of White Noise is one of the reasons I wont see them live. Not that they seem to want to give me a chance to not see them again since they don't tour here.
Well I think it's not as cut and dry as that, John makes the old Anthrax songs sound heavier, which is what Anthrax wanted. Joey doesn't have the same effect on Bush songs. It sounds out of place. Referring to the past as the past doesn't include the Joey catalog, just a reference to the Bush era which is very different in every way. At least that's my take.

you know a statement like that might actually be a statement of support for Joey. To maybe stabilize things. I think they need that lol

Last edited:
. Referring to the past as the past doesn't include the Joey catalog,

That's my problem with the statement, they are selectively using the term to suit themselves. "The Past is the past, expect where we don't want it to be." I don't care that they don't do John era songs, that's their choice even if I don't agree with it. If they don't want to play the songs because Joey can't sing them be up front and say that, don't throw up excuses that only make sense if taken in a skewed context of the meaning. Age had delivered Joey limitations, it happens to us all, even some of the live performances of Joey doing Joey era songs don't cut it like they once did, but they keep doing them. It's a shame to ignore one really cool album for the sake of a bit of pride. He's going to cop shit for not doing it, he's going to cop shit for doing a bad job of it. In my books it better to cop shit for giving something a decent go than not doing it

It's only about an hour long, maybe a bit more. There's a lot more they could have done. It does have some good insight. But I think the liners on the remasters actually give more.

Yeah I've seen quite a few docos with the same problem. I guess in some ways it comes down to the access the crew are given but in my experience it seems like nearly all the docos made without the direct input of the band or muso in question cut quite a lot out.