The what's going on in Thrash thread

But I'm not an Amon Amarth fan. I just don't get them.

I think their power is great and they can rock a stage. Their lyrics are often interesting and tell a story although sometimes I do get sick of Johann's growl. I probably wouldn't consider anything they do ground breaking or life changing but I do like a band that picks a theme and sticks to it.

Reactions: redfly
I'll almost always go with the old school.

Sometimes it's the best thing. I think it does have a bit to do with the availability of things back in the day. In our group we did buy a shitload of albums but music still wasn't as available as it is now so the faves got played more because that was what was handy.

Damn, when I saw this pic I wondered who it was. My first thought was that it was a chick.

37866848_10155411701617330_3890239406572830720_n.jpg

http://www.metalinjection.net/lates...-next-generation-of-headliners-in-heavy-metal

Interesting take on the next gen bands. He might have some more insight than the average Joe, he might even have a vested interest in getting some of the bands listed to the top but I find it interesting who he chooses. Ghost are already a big band, I'm not sure why, but many are already chanting their praises. Amon Armath are huge in Europe and they've been known to headline festivals. And then he drops Mastodon and Lamb Of God? I know I'm not a fan of either and therefore my opinion is probably tainted but do they really have the following and ability to build to the heights of Slayer? I wouldn't have thought so.

http://www.metalinjection.net/lates...-next-generation-of-headliners-in-heavy-metal

Interesting take on the next gen bands. He might have some more insight than the average Joe, he might even have a vested interest in getting some of the bands listed to the top but I find it interesting who he chooses. Ghost are already a big band, I'm not sure why, but many are already chanting their praises. Amon Armath are huge in Europe and they've been known to headline festivals. And then he drops Mastodon and Lamb Of God? I know I'm not a fan of either and therefore my opinion is probably tainted but do they really have the following and ability to build to the heights of Slayer? I wouldn't have thought so.
Not sure I would call Amon Amarth, Mastodon or LOG the next Gen. They've all been around for a while. Lamb Of god is actually a pretty damn good band and don't deserve the bashing they get on blabber imo. They are great live and have some crushing music. The music is basically thrash with a little twist on the vocals. I can see why everyone doesn't like them though. Their Killidelphia dvd is awesome. It's actually what won me over. I'm not sure I'm sticking with them because they are bringing in more and more clean vocals and I haven't gelled with the last couple albums. But their first couple albums are good especially Ashes Of The Wake which has a great instrumental with Skolnick and Chris Poland on it.
Ghost just isn't heavy enough to be included in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slammed
Not sure I would call Amon Amarth, Mastodon or LOG the next Gen. They've all been around for a while. Lamb Of god is actually a pretty damn good band and don't deserve the bashing they get on blabber imo. They are great live and have some crushing music. The music is basically thrash with a little twist on the vocals. I can see why everyone doesn't like them though. Their Killidelphia dvd is awesome. It's actually what won me over. I'm not sure I'm sticking with them because they are bringing in more and more clean vocals and I haven't gelled with the last couple albums. But their first couple albums are good especially Ashes Of The Wake which has a great instrumental with Skolnick and Chris Poland on it.
Ghost just isn't heavy enough to be included in my opinion.

I'm not sure if next gen means they can't already be established, I guess with the list he provided he's assuming that they will build on what they already have and become even bigger. I don't really think any band is going to get to the heights of Slayer, Metallica and Maiden purely because the scene is so different these days, bands are often forgotten between albums because there is such variety, people don't need to buy every single release to hear what the band is doing. If the guy is suggesting that next gen is going to be more based on ticket sales and big event gigs again I think that's going to be hard for today's bands to match because there are so many festivals. From what I've read Mastodon and Ghost sell a lot of tickets but Ghost supported Maiden last year and Mastodon supported Metallica it's no wonder a lot of people saw them, it's like Ozzy taking Metallica on the road back in the 80's

What's he gonna save for the next book?

More untold stories from the 2000's!

Then by the time part 3 comes out it will be untold stories from the 2010's

It's going to be a thrill a minute ride. Although that might be a little unfair. I have the first book and it's not terrible. Snr's book was probably a bit better but that was only because he's a controversial character and no one knows the truth, not even him. Jnr's book definitely seemed more believable and human.

I'm not sure if next gen means they can't already be established, I guess with the list he provided he's assuming that they will build on what they already have and become even bigger. I don't really think any band is going to get to the heights of Slayer, Metallica and Maiden purely because the scene is so different these days, bands are often forgotten between albums because there is such variety, people don't need to buy every single release to hear what the band is doing. If the guy is suggesting that next gen is going to be more based on ticket sales and big event gigs again I think that's going to be hard for today's bands to match because there are so many festivals. From what I've read Mastodon and Ghost sell a lot of tickets but Ghost supported Maiden last year and Mastodon supported Metallica it's no wonder a lot of people saw them, it's like Ozzy taking Metallica on the road back in the 80's
I agree, I don't think these bands will get to those heights. Unless the scene rapidly changes back and bands get radio and TV support...and people start actually buying their music again lol. To me next gen would be in the last few years. But that's me lol

More untold stories from the 2000's!

Then by the time part 3 comes out it will be untold stories from the 2010's

It's going to be a thrill a minute ride. Although that might be a little unfair. I have the first book and it's not terrible. Snr's book was probably a bit better but that was only because he's a controversial character and no one knows the truth, not even him. Jnr's book definitely seemed more believable and human.
I sure hope he goes deeper into his coffee empire and becoming a Pastor!.....

I agree, I don't think these bands will get to those heights. Unless the scene rapidly changes back and bands get radio and TV support...and people start actually buying their music again lol. To me next gen would be in the last few years. But that's me lol

I wonder when Slayer was considered next gen, before Show No Mercy, not till after Reign In Blood, when they announced their retirement.

I sure hope he goes deeper into his coffee empire and becoming a Pastor!.....

He's also got the record label now too. The bands they are signing might not all be great but how they decide which bands are worth signing would be interesting to read.