The what's going on in Thrash thread

I wonder when Slayer was considered next gen, before Show No Mercy, not till after Reign In Blood, when they announced their retirement.
I'm not sure they ever were? Thrash was so different from what came before I think possibly those bands weren't considered torch bearers until 15 years ago or so? There weren't really different metal genres until Thrash so maybe people (journos) didn't think of them as being with the Sabbath or Dio types. Just a thought.
Were the New wave bands like Maiden considered next gen...or should I say labeled as next gen?

Last edited:
Reactions: Slammed
I'm not sure they ever were? Thrash was so different from what came before I think possibly those bands weren't considered torch bearers until 15 years ago or so? There weren't really different metal genres until Thrash so maybe people (journos) didn't think of them as being with the Sabbath or Dio types. Just a thought.

Yeah I don't really know. I'm sure someone would love to say they foresaw the rise of trash, just like some claim they saw the rise of NWOBHM or even metal in general. But whether they actually saw it being as big as it was would be the stuff that makes folklore I would reckon.

There's probably some old guy sitting in a pub somewhere with his mates saying "You know I knew thrash would be huge, no other bastard saw it but I did and they told me I'd knew nothing" and all his mates are telling him to stop talking shit. The guy claiming Mastodon and Ghost etc is hoping to be that guy in 20 years :)

Reactions: redfly
Oh I forgot! That could fill volumes! The only band I've heard that's on his label is that band Doll Skin.

I don't remember any now but I have seen a few metal-ish bands listed on the pages of Blabber etc. I've also seen a few country bands listed as being signed but again I remember no names.

Yeah I don't really know. I'm sure someone would love to say they foresaw the rise of trash, just like some claim they saw the rise of NWOBHM or even metal in general. But whether they actually saw it being as big as it was would be the stuff that makes folklore I would reckon.

There's probably some old guy sitting in a pub somewhere with his mates saying "You know I knew thrash would be huge, no other bastard saw it but I did and they told me I'd knew nothing" and all his mates are telling him to stop talking shit. The guy claiming Mastodon and Ghost etc is hoping to be that guy in 20 years :)
Hahaha! there's always that one old guy right?!

I believe you're right. He's not just doing Rock/Metal

Curiosity got the better of me. They've been busy, here's the list from wiki.

A Killer's Confession
Ancient
Another Lost Year
Apollo Under Fire
Arise in Chaos
Autograph
Behind the Fallen
Cage9
Chuck Mosley
Dead by Wednesday
Doll Skin
Doyle
Even the Dead Love a Parade
Green Death
Hail Sagan
Heaven Below
Helstar
Kik Tracee
Killer Dwarfs
Killing the Messenger
Machinage
Mark Slaughter
Motograter
Ron Keel
Semblant
Skum Love
Solus Deus
The Letter Black
Your Chance to Die

No wonder we don't have a new 'Deth album.

I recognise a few names on the list but other than Autograph and Ron Keel's original band Keel I don't think I've heard the music of any of those bands. Maybe Mark Slaughter and Killer Dwarfs but I still couldn't name a song from any band on the list I don't think.

Haha, it does seem that way.

On their website it says that a band named Sword (Canadian band with 3 albums in 30 years) signed with Jnr's Combat records. Not sure how that works. I know EMP is distributed through Combat but the headline suggests Dave signed the band to Combat and not his own label to be distributed through Combat. I don't think Dave has control at Combat.

Actually according to what I can see EMP bought/acquired the name Combat and it's actually part of EMP now. So how the deals different between signing direct to EMP as opposed to Combat is anyone's guess. I did read somewhere that Combat actually distribute their own, where as EMP seems to work with Megaforce in the US and Cargo in the UK. It must be a nightmare keeping track of who owns what!

Sword and the The Sword are two different bands. The Sword is from Texas and pretty much a stoner band with long drug fucked songs and about 6 albums. Sword is from Canada, they formed in the 1980 but apparently only have 3 albums (and a live one), they are "heavy metal" and according to wiki dip their fingers into thrash as well, but with only three albums in 40 years it might be a quick dip.

What the hell, that is pretty damn confusing lol All I really remember is that Jr said it was cool to be back on the Combat name after so many years. I'm nit sure how it makes sense now though.

Damn, not even an album a decade!

I think the simple form is EMP is Jnr's, EMP acquired the name Combat (no catalogue), and both EMP and Combat distribute through Megaforce and Cargo. But if you want some more confusion Dystopia was released through Tradecraft/Universal.

You'd want to be a good band to go that long between albums and have people remember you, and it's not like they released the albums and disappeared, the three albums plus the live one are scattered throughout the 40 years.

Okay @Neptune I decided to take your hint (even if it wasn't a hint) from the other day and give Armored Saint another go.
I've seen a few people talk about them lately so I decided to give the studio albums spin. I was able to borrow a few but will have to acquire three of them. If I can't get into them I'm going to blame you though :p

I think the simple form is EMP is Jnr's, EMP acquired the name Combat (no catalogue), and both EMP and Combat distribute through Megaforce and Cargo. But if you want some more confusion Dystopia was released through Tradecraft/Universal.

You'd want to be a good band to go that long between albums and have people remember you, and it's not like they released the albums and disappeared, the three albums plus the live one are scattered throughout the 40 years.
That reminds me of something. Dave said something about the label still sticking their nose in...but Tradecraft is HIS label. So I'm a bit confused.

Yes those would have to be some damn good albums!

I'd imagine that even with his own label Universal would have a say in what they release and that might be 'sticking there nose in".

Jnr obviously thinks they are good albums. Although I wonder what sort of deal you'd make with a band that has such a record of making nothing. As a label you might make some money from the gigs but you obviously want the band to record and sell albums, Sword don't seen to have a record of being able to sell much even if each of their albums went gold.