The what's going on in Thrash thread

We used to get quite a few tour editions where band put a live EP as a bonus on the touring album. It still sucked if you wanted both but at least you got a few songs you might hear yourself screaming on :)
Those tour editions were bullshit and I think hurt initial sales because after a while you knew a year after release they were coming out with a better version.

Reactions: Neptune and Slammed
Those tour editions were bullshit and I think hurt initial sales because after a while you knew a year after release they were coming out with a better version.

The problem was guessing what was going to get a tour edition. In our group we'd often get one or two buying the first release then someone buying the tour edition. But it was only ever Aussie ones, there was certain venues in this country in the 80's and 90's that really went off and if you got a tour edition with anything from 5 - 10 tracks on it you knew you were getting a good show. In general our tour editions for thrash bands were really only recorded 3 or 4 different venues in Melbourne or Sydney, if you were at the gig that got recorded buying the extra disc was like a prize.

Reactions: redfly
The problem was guessing what was going to get a tour edition. In our group we'd often get one or two buying the first release then someone buying the tour edition. But it was only ever Aussie ones, there was certain venues in this country in the 80's and 90's that really went off and if you got a tour edition with anything from 5 - 10 tracks on it you knew you were getting a good show. In general our tour editions for thrash bands were really only recorded 3 or 4 different venues in Melbourne or Sydney, if you were at the gig that got recorded buying the extra disc was like a prize.
It seemed like every band from medium to large got one here.

Reactions: Neptune and Slammed
It seemed like every band from medium to large got one here.

I remember at the time here there was plenty who didn't. Bigger bands like Metallca and Megadeth etc didn't but bands like Sepultura, SYL and many others did. And if you saw a gig that was recorded at either the Horden in Sydney, or Festival Hall in Melbourne you knew the crowd was going to be really into it and make it a good gig.

Reactions: Neptune and redfly
I think I remember an Anthrax tour special here maybe around 2011, but I wouldn't have bought it. Testament I wouldn't have hunted out either because I only have their main releases, the only live one I have is the Dark Roots of Trash which was a CD/DVD combo.

But I have and Aust tour special for Seps (pre roots). SYL No Sleep 'Till Bedtime, which is an extended version of the worldwide release of the same name. I've got a Suicidal one from about '94. Morbid Angel from '92, Deep Purple from '99 which is an extended version of the Total Abandon CD on worldwide release. I think most of what I have were Australian only releases and although not limited in their numbers they weren't big sellers either because most of the tours we saw down here were well into an album's release, so most fan already had the album before the album with extras was released.

It could well have been an enticement for us to get out and support more bands. Back in the 90's it was still difficult getting promoters to see the benefits of touring a band here and some bands were still reluctant as well. So if they could get a tour plus extra sales it might well have been more incentive, and for many fans a release that was sold as 'for the locals' was enticing.