The what's going on in Thrash thread

Oh damn! I guess they'll get to eventually at that rate and you can metal the place up.

The running joke in this country lately is that we'll all get a go as PM, so I'm waiting for my turn and I'll make listening to anything but metal illegal :)

Reactions: redfly
It would be funny to see how long I last with such a law. Those poppy dance crowds are pretty dangerous when they get in their groups and rave. They might drug me to submission!

I haven't listened to it. I wasn't planning on getting it anyway but I saw it on he release list for today

Voivod was out yesterday and Aussie power metal band Black Majesty had a new one out yesterday. Both bands have an impressive history and both albums are being well received I don't think I have time for Dargonlord based on what I have heard.

Reactions: Neptune and redfly
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ex...ds-who-have-potential-to-become-future-icons/

While I think he's right on some level I think the industry is so different these days his suggestion isn't accurate anyway. The band/musos he talks about being icons broke the scene open. Ozzy and Sabbath, Lemmy and Motorhead, Maiden, The Big 4, they made the scenes whether they be metal, thrash, whatever, what they are. Of course bands that are playing the same music today can't be iconic in that sense. But that doesn't mean any number of them wont be remembered as fondly in 20 years as the bands he calls icons are right now.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ex...ds-who-have-potential-to-become-future-icons/

While I think he's right on some level I think the industry is so different these days his suggestion isn't accurate anyway. The band/musos he talks about being icons broke the scene open. Ozzy and Sabbath, Lemmy and Motorhead, Maiden, The Big 4, they made the scenes whether they be metal, thrash, whatever, what they are. Of course bands that are playing the same music today can't be iconic in that sense. But that doesn't mean any number of them wont be remembered as fondly in 20 years as the bands he calls icons are right now.
Yes.

Reactions: Neptune and Slammed
Whatever that last song Voivod released was not good to my ears.

I haven't listened to it yet but from all reports it fits well with the rest of their catalogue which jumps between genres and styles so much that it becomes hard to define. Voivod's strangeness and the weird shit they do is the allure to me.

I haven't listened to it yet but from all reports it fits well with the rest of their catalogue which jumps between genres and styles so much that it becomes hard to define. Voivod's strangeness and the weird shit they do is the allure to me.
That definition makes me want to like them. But I've not really heard anything that gets me going.

Reactions: Neptune and Slammed
I'm not surprised. Lots of people don't like Viovod for that reason. I remember back in the 90's it was almost the done thing to hate Voivod, the sheer mention of them seem to make people I knew instantly go into hate mode. That made me listen to them more and all that listening probably helped me like them more too. I do remember most albums have taken me more than one listen to get into.