The what's going on in Thrash thread

That's true enough. I think producers are as much to blame as musos now. Each producer wants to make something bigger and better. They've got all these new toys to play with and making something huge could set them up for life so they convince bands to go with more than just a live type of sound. That's not to say all producers are the problems, I'm sure some bands want to push it too, but I definitely think that there is less and less songs being written with a live audience in mind.
Yeah I'm sure there is some of that with the producers. How much pull do you think a producer has compared to the old days with bands making most of their money off of merch and touring and not albums?

Reactions: Slammed
I don't know but it's an interesting question. You really only hear about the producer having too much pull when the album is a flop or it's some how controversial. Many bands do praise their producers (and rightly so) but I don't think it would be that hard to be the highly paid producer and telling a band they should change something if that was what you did every day. Be different changing thrash to pop, but if it was extra tracks or a bit more bang I reckon many bands could be easily convinced.

Reactions: redfly
Was listening to this the other day

Am listening to this now.

German's may not be able to spell disaster but they can still make old school thrash.

For me it's not perfect but it's why the bands we've listened to for years like Exodus, Testament Metal Church, etc need to keep coming up with something special. If they don't their is bands waiting in the wings that may just fill the void between food albums.

Wow really big Zetro era Exodus influence huh? :headbang:

Hugely! The guy hasn't quite got the Zetro peaks but he's definitely got the sound. The music is a bit rawer that Exodus do now but it's definitely got an 80's vibe. I'm interested to see where a band like this goes, they are far from perfect but they might have the makings of something.

Hopefully they are one of those bands that just gets better and better. You're right "blood" lost a tiny bit of that raw sound. It must be hard to get that while having better production.

With a name like Fabulous Desaster and a singer like that I guess they couldn't follow too many other paths :)

Exodus haven't yet said who the producer of the new album will be have they?

That Gary Holt article above appears on MI today but the headline is "Gary has about a years worth of material."
How much material is a years worth? Enough songs to play one after the other and go all year? That would be a long album.

That Gary Holt article above appears on MI today but the headline is "Gary has about a years worth of material."
How much material is a years worth? Enough songs to play one after the other and go all year? That would be a long album.
Yeah what does that mean? Better at least be a double album!

http://bravewords.com/news/metal-ch...ney-unless-you-break-big-like-metallica-audio

So maybe that is Metal Church's problem. They don't make any money so they can't write better songs that sell big numbers. They can't write good songs because they have no money. They have no money because they can't right good songs. They can't wri.....oh fuck it guys just make a good album!!
Yeah well certainly not when you ignore your real fan base and go after the hard rock crowd. Gotta give the people what they want!
Oh wait...that worked for Metallica...but really they got huge with the black album, somehow they managed to hold onto it after that.

Yeah what does that mean? Better at least be a double album!

Yeah I can't figure it out either. It's such a stupid statement. Even saying that he had a shit ton of songs would have made more sense than a year's worth.

Yeah well certainly not when you ignore your real fan base and go after the hard rock crowd. Gotta give the people what they want!
Oh wait...that worked for Metallica...but really they got huge with the black album, somehow they managed to hold onto it after that.

I can relate to the idea that money has to be made and only the biggest of them make mega bucks off a release but I don't quite understand why he has to compare MC to Metallica. Bands like Megadeth and Anthrax, even bands like Testament and Exodus all still make money as sell reasonable figures. Metallica figures are not attainable by too many and to me comparing anything to them is almost setting yourself up for defeat before you start.