The what's going on in Thrash thread

Yeah I don't take a 7.8 as very promising at all. I don't accept anything under 9 as good. Guess we'll see in a little while.

The weird thing is the guy talks up about half the songs then talks down the rest. He doesn't really say any are shit but he's not overly glowing in his review. Seems 7.8 just doesn't cover what he's trying to say.

I'd like a 9 and I'm hoping that I'm still going in open minded.

Reactions: redfly
The weird thing is the guy talks up about half the songs then talks down the rest. He doesn't really say any are shit but he's not overly glowing in his review. Seems 7.8 just doesn't cover what he's trying to say.

I'd like a 9 and I'm hoping that I'm still going in open minded.
I will not judge the album at all by this guy. But half an album is the way I've found many Overkill albums.

Reactions: Slammed
I will not judge the album at all by this guy. But half an album is the way I've found many Overkill albums.

I want to see them change things up a bit occasionally. I don't want to see them go pop, or death metal or something stupid like that but I do want to hear them play around with things. I don't expect an entire album of it, but I'm not going to hate them if they throw a different song or two on an album of 10 other good songs.

I want to see them change things up a bit occasionally. I don't want to see them go pop, or death metal or something stupid like that but I do want to hear them play around with things. I don't expect an entire album of it, but I'm not going to hate them if they throw a different song or two on an album of 10 other good songs.
I think part of the problem is he's always saying he doesn't like to think about what they were..but he likes to compete with themselves. To me that says they only think as far back as the last album. Which is the reason they repeat a lot of stuff.

And the weird thing is I don't mind the repeats, it's what makes them definitively Overkill. However I also think that repetitiveness is part of the reason why when they do try something different many people talk it down. It's like they want different but don't like it when it happens.

It really erks me when he repeats the same vocal phrasing and melody from album to album. I'm not really sure what they've done that's been different you're talking about? Except if you mean some of the things they did in the late 9o's early 00's? They had some different stuff I guess. And you're right for me it didn't sound good. I'm all for experimenting. But not the cringy kind if that makes sense. I think I'm one of the few that had no real problem with the I Hear Black album.

Different as in exactly what the reviewer (and the guy in the last link posted the other day) claim is different. They are claiming Head Of A Pin is not written in the classic Overkill formula. This guy even went as far as suggesting 4 songs off the new album are 'different' to what people expect Overkill to be. I'm not going to pretend I loved Head Of A Pin, but I didn't hate it and I only gave it one go. Whether it becomes a favourite only time will tell but reviewers are almost downing the song instantly because it's not classic Overkill and I dislike that from a reviewer.

Ok gotcha, that's funny. The thing I didn't like about that song is that it reminded me too much of something for Killbox or Necroshine. I'd have to listen to them to be sure because it's been a while.. I agree the song may be a grower, and the reviewer isn't great either.

Ok gotcha, that's funny. The thing I didn't like about that song is that it reminded me too much of something for Killbox or Necroshine. I'd have to listen to them to be sure because it's been a while.. I agree the song may be a grower, and the reviewer isn't great either.

It just seems like these reviewers can in one sentence suggest Overkill should change things up a bit occasionally, then in the next sentence can them for doing so. It makes reviews hard to takes serious.