The what's going on in Thrash thread

I decided to have a look at a few other things Jnr played in.
Knights of Fury have a few tracks on YT and they are very melodic but also not speed/trash.
Going to check out what I can find on Angles Of Babylon and Killing Machine next.
I don't expect anything like Temple Of Brutality though.

Reactions: redfly
Yeah there's nothing that hasn't been done with Zombies...a hundred times.

Sean Of The Dead is awesome. The first bluray I bought.

We had a couple of D grade zombie type movies made in Oz which were so cheesy they were good but there was so little else. I also gave up on the Walking Dead after 2 seasons because I figured they weren't doing anything new. I even wrote a zombie story once but gave up after about three chapters because I bored myself :)

For me this one was a little more interesting. They talk about the MTV days (for want of a better title) and it's interesting to hear just how different that world was to what we got. MTV in this country at the time went for about 2 hours late on a Friday night and only really played pop and rock, despite using Peace Sells as the promo to MTV News. The only real reason for metal heads to tune into MTV in this country at the time was because the chick that read the rock news was a babe, no one gave a shit what she was talking about, it was the only time pop news was every interesting :)
Yeah it as different then. If I would sleep over a friends house we could wake up and see metal vids. The real metal like Overkill and Megadeth and whoever else was spaced out early in the morning and day, but it was still there. As it got later the hard rock got a little less and the metal a little more. And then Saturday night Headbangers Ball :headbang:

Reactions: Slammed
We only knew what Headbangers Ball was because of the mags like Hit Parader etc. Back then unless we were willing to spend megabucks to put up huge satellite dishes we didn't even have a pay TV service. It always pissed me off that MTV used the intro to Peace Sells for their news segment but never gave us any real metal news. Occasionally they would play a set of three songs (ad break to ad break) of bands like Poison and Motley Crue, but it wasn't until they show was nearly dead and buried here they started to put bands like Motorhead, Metallica and Ozzy on. Otherwise the only shit we got from MTV was the bad news like Ozzy getting arrested, or a metal concert having a riot, nothing useful.

I decided to have a look at a few other things Jnr played in.
Knights of Fury have a few tracks on YT and they are very melodic but also not speed/trash.
Going to check out what I can find on Angles Of Babylon and Killing Machine next.
I don't expect anything like Temple Of Brutality though.
I didn't know he'd done so much lol

We had a couple of D grade zombie type movies made in Oz which were so cheesy they were good but there was so little else. I also gave up on the Walking Dead after 2 seasons because I figured they weren't doing anything new. I even wrote a zombie story once but gave up after about three chapters because I bored myself :)
I love Aussie B...D grade horror fliks. Korean too.

We only knew what Headbangers Ball was because of the mags like Hit Parader etc. Back then unless we were willing to spend megabucks to put up huge satellite dishes we didn't even have a pay TV service. It always pissed me off that MTV used the intro to Peace Sells for their news segment but never gave us any real metal news. Occasionally they would play a set of three songs (ad break to ad break) of bands like Poison and Motley Crue, but it wasn't until they show was nearly dead and buried here they started to put bands like Motorhead, Metallica and Ozzy on. Otherwise the only shit we got from MTV was the bad news like Ozzy getting arrested, or a metal concert having a riot, nothing useful.
Haha! Dave was pissed about Piece Sell also. They used just enough to not have to pay royalties.

I didn't know he'd done so much lol

I was looking on Metal Archives and he's been involved with a number of things, not always recording.

According to them he has the following active.
Altitudes & Attitude
2011 Beamz Metal Factory Guitars, Bass, Drum programming (this is only a 13 min recording so I don't know that it's much)
Hail!
Knight Fury
Megadeth
Metal Allegiance

Temple of Brutality

And the following no longer active.
Angels of Babylon: 1 album, Kingdom of Evil
F5: 2 albums A Drug for All Seasons & 2008 The Reckoning
Fallen Angels: no albums
Killing Machine: 1 album.

He's also play on,
Avian : 2005 From the Depths of Time , Bass
Dream Theater : 2007 Systematic Chaos Spoken words (track 5)
Ethan Brosh : 2014 Live the Dream Unknown (tracks 6, 7)
Flotsam and Jetsam : 2008 Cuatro Songwriting (track 13)
Green Death : 2017 Pure Torture (EP) Bass (track 2) & 2018 Hallowmass Bass ("Pure Torture")
Gus G. : 2014 I Am the Fire Bass (track 4)
Malice : 1987 License to Kill Vocals (backing) (tracks A2, B1)
Memorain : 2012 Evolution Bass (tracks 6, 9) & 2013 Seven Sacrifices Bass (Track 7) & 2016 Duality of Man Bass (track 4)
Murashita : 2015 Inescapable Damnation (EP) Bass
Operation: Mindcrime : 2015 The Key Bass & 2016 Resurrection Bass (track 9)
Shadows Fall : 2005 The Art of Touring (Drunk & Shitty in Every City) (Video) Unknown
Soulfly : 2004 Prophecy Bass (tracks 1, 4, 5, 6, 10) & 2005 Dark Ages Bass (track 10)
The Alien Blakk : 2006 Modes of Alienation Bass & 2010 Bekoming Bass (track 4)
Tim Ripper Owens : 2009 Play My Game Bass (track 8)
Warmachine : 2005 The Beginning of the End Bass (tracks 1, 2, 8)

Haha! Dave was pissed about Piece Sell also. They used just enough to not have to pay royalties.

Oh, so our MTV (which obviously paid a licensing fee to the American MTV for the name and usage) obviously did the same thing. Our show was based on the American version but no where near as refined and with only 2 hours a week, with ads, it was very low on content.

I was looking on Metal Archives and he's been involved with a number of things, not always recording.

According to them he has the following active.
Altitudes & Attitude
2011 Beamz Metal Factory Guitars, Bass, Drum programming (this is only a 13 min recording so I don't know that it's much)
Hail!
Knight Fury
Megadeth
Metal Allegiance
Temple of Brutality

And the following no longer active.
Angels of Babylon: 1 album, Kingdom of Evil
F5: 2 albums A Drug for All Seasons & 2008 The Reckoning
Fallen Angels: no albums
Killing Machine: 1 album.

He's also play on,
Avian : 2005 From the Depths of Time , Bass
Dream Theater : 2007 Systematic Chaos Spoken words (track 5)
Ethan Brosh : 2014 Live the Dream Unknown (tracks 6, 7)
Flotsam and Jetsam : 2008 Cuatro Songwriting (track 13)
Green Death : 2017 Pure Torture (EP) Bass (track 2) & 2018 Hallowmass Bass ("Pure Torture")
Gus G. : 2014 I Am the Fire Bass (track 4)
Malice : 1987 License to Kill Vocals (backing) (tracks A2, B1)
Memorain : 2012 Evolution Bass (tracks 6, 9) & 2013 Seven Sacrifices Bass (Track 7) & 2016 Duality of Man Bass (track 4)
Murashita : 2015 Inescapable Damnation (EP) Bass
Operation: Mindcrime : 2015 The Key Bass & 2016 Resurrection Bass (track 9)
Shadows Fall : 2005 The Art of Touring (Drunk & Shitty in Every City) (Video) Unknown
Soulfly : 2004 Prophecy Bass (tracks 1, 4, 5, 6, 10) & 2005 Dark Ages Bass (track 10)
The Alien Blakk : 2006 Modes of Alienation Bass & 2010 Bekoming Bass (track 4)
Tim Ripper Owens : 2009 Play My Game Bass (track 8)
Warmachine : 2005 The Beginning of the End Bass (tracks 1, 2, 8)
Wow holy shit. I didn't know about most of that. He may need his own box set!

Wow holy shit. I didn't know about most of that. He may need his own box set!

He's done quite a bit while being the quiet bass player, maybe that's why he won that award from his town for being himself :)

I've got A&A, Temple Of Brutality, Megadeth, Metal Allegiance, F5 and some of the tracks that he's appeared on from other albums but there is a few new ones there. Of the stuff I found on YT I'd consider Killing Machine, but Knight Fury and Angels of Babylon I don't think I'd bother with.

He might be partly right. But I don't think doing that would have made a difference really. It's just a weak album. Not that there isn't some good stuff on it. But also I remember very clearly that Jr kept saying it was going to be a very heavy back to roots album and kept referencing KIMB.

I don't hate Risk and maybe I would like it more if it was heavier. In some ways I do like it better the SC because the songs, while heavier just didn't seem to be all there on SC. I thought the album opened well with Kingmaker but it didn't rise from that point.

He's done quite a bit while being the quiet bass player, maybe that's why he won that award from his town for being himself :)

I've got A&A, Temple Of Brutality, Megadeth, Metal Allegiance, F5 and some of the tracks that he's appeared on from other albums but there is a few new ones there. Of the stuff I found on YT I'd consider Killing Machine, but Knight Fury and Angels of Babylon I don't think I'd bother with.
I think the Dream Theater thing surprised me the most.

I don't hate Risk and maybe I would like it more if it was heavier. In some ways I do like it better the SC because the songs, while heavier just didn't seem to be all there on SC. I thought the album opened well with Kingmaker but it didn't rise from that point.
I might give Risk a shot in another 10 years or so.

I think the Dream Theater thing surprised me the most.

I don't know it well enough, it's not one of the DT albums I am very familiar with. But reading wiki I'm now thinking they asked everyone to be on it.

Portnoy described the ninth part of the Suite, “Restitution,” as being “all about making amends to people you’ve harmed.” When writing it, he did not want to write about his own personal life as it would have made the song “too specific” to himself, wanting to make the lyrics more general. He instead asked friends of the band to contribute spoken word apologies. Steve Hogarth, Steven Wilson, Jon Anderson, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Mikael Åkerfeldt, Corey Taylor, Daniel Gildenlöw, Neal Morse, David Ellefson, and Chris Jericho all contributed apologies which featured in the final track. Portnoy was disappointed that Dave Mustaine, Geoff Tate, Bruce Dickinson and James Hetfield declined his invitation, but was pleased with the final list of contributors.