The what's going on in Thrash thread

I might give Risk a shot in another 10 years or so.

I listened to it not too long back. Dave's voice is too distinctive to not know it's him but if you can separate the man from his thrash I think there is better song writing there but not so much better music.

Reactions: redfly
I don't know it well enough, it's not one of the DT albums I am very familiar with. But reading wiki I'm now thinking they asked everyone to be on it.

Portnoy described the ninth part of the Suite, “Restitution,” as being “all about making amends to people you’ve harmed.” When writing it, he did not want to write about his own personal life as it would have made the song “too specific” to himself, wanting to make the lyrics more general. He instead asked friends of the band to contribute spoken word apologies. Steve Hogarth, Steven Wilson, Jon Anderson, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Mikael Åkerfeldt, Corey Taylor, Daniel Gildenlöw, Neal Morse, David Ellefson, and Chris Jericho all contributed apologies which featured in the final track. Portnoy was disappointed that Dave Mustaine, Geoff Tate, Bruce Dickinson and James Hetfield declined his invitation, but was pleased with the final list of contributors.
Interesting..and strange lol

Reactions: Slammed
Interesting..and strange lol

Yeah, I might have to go and hunt YT to see if the song is there and see what it's like. It looks like the entire album is one of those epic Portnoy efforts with only a few tracks but each track having multiple parts that makes the album run for thee weeks.

Yeah, I might have to go and hunt YT to see if the song is there and see what it's like. It looks like the entire album is one of those epic Portnoy efforts with only a few tracks but each track having multiple parts that makes the album run for thee weeks.
Portnoy is a funny case. He's equal parts what I liked about DT and what I didn't.

Yeah I tend to agree. I guess I've been less of a DT fan since his departure but at the same time I find DT one of those bands that I really have to be in a particular mood for. In some ways it's like Pink Floyd, there are some PF albums I wont put on unless I know I have time to listen to the whole thing, I get the same way with DT.

Dave Lomardo was 54 yesterday.
Here's an old video to celebrate.

I actually wish Dave released more with Philm but it appears that band had it's day.

Spiritual Healing also celebrated a birthday yesterday.

I don't know if it's true but I read at the time that the Philm spilt was not very friendly, no idea what actually happened though.

From what I remember reading he claimed they disbanded because of 'internal struggles". He also claimed that he dissolved the band and name when he departed. But not long after he left the guitarist and singer declared they had gigs and a new album and that Dave had no right to dissolve the band that was not his to begin with. I don't think that album ever got released but they did release music without Dave so it seems that Dave's claims he dissolved the band were not entirely correct.

I still think Gene did what he did for publicity and he was always going to pull the paperwork one he got that publicity, but I do find it funny that Wendy Dio has changed her tune a bit. However I find it even funnier that they then jump to Blackie, only to have some dude claim definitively that it was he and his band and their album cover proves it, only to have it proven to him that John Lennon beat him. I can't wait until someone finds a long lost pic of Mozart doing it!

Well it's funny, because I thought Gene realized and admitted he wasn't actually doing the horns but the Spiderman because his thumb is out. Which makes this guys whole argument null and void.
LOL Fucking Mozart with the win!

Yeah it was something like that and that's why I think Gene did it purely for publicity. I also think he knew his patent/trademark would not be accepted but people talking about him was worth more than what it cost to lodge the papers. Everyone else in the argument just seems to be picking a new side.

The problem with finding out Mozart did such a thing is that you just know someone else will come out three months later saying there is cave painting somewhere dating back to 500BC which shows Mozart copied it.

Oh that would be so cool
Maybe bands like Stryper already know this and metal really isn't the devil's music.

There is a review of Overkill on MI today. It's not worth much, they barely review any of the album which I think is there way to get people to come back for a full review on Friday when they do their major reviews. However in the opening part of the review they say Overkill have released 2 EP and a spilt single with Kreator in the 2 years since the last album. Not sure if 1 of the EP's is that one we saw recently or not but I don't remember what the spilt with Kreator was.