The what's going on in Thrash thread

Somewhere in that house is Kirk's lost phone. Lars stole it because the songs Kirk was writing weren't pop enough for Metallica.

Reactions: redfly
Not sure if it was Springsteen but he was definitely channelling Springsteen.

I don't know what will be a go to track to be honest. I expected more from Batshit Crazy after reading a review the other day. Head Of A Pin is better than I remembered it being. Distortion is good but not excellent. In Ashes sounds like it wants to be harder than it is, maybe the lyrics are letting it down, I'm not sure. I don't dislike the album but I do need to listen to it a bit more to get more of a feel for it.

Oh and I wont be going to that video often, the white wash is not a bad technique but it's too pure for nearly 5 mins :)
I'm still trying to get my bearings with this album. I'm kind of trying to filter out what I think is a little repeating and what's new. And if Bittner really has had this impact they were talking about.

Reactions: Neptune and Slammed
Yeah I'm not sure either, I've only listened to it twice and I don't hate it but I definitely haven't listened to it as much as F&J in the first weekend. Each time I have listened I've heard a riff or a drum sequence that piques my interest but I'm yet to put it all together.

Reactions: Neptune and redfly
I think there is some good drumming on the album. I'm actually thinking at this stage my hurdle is with the lyrics. I still need to put all the songs together and give it another listen but there is some lyrics I'm just not feeling.

For instance that Batshit Crazy song, I read a few weeks back about how that song was going to be a good an angry song, a song that they were surprised they hadn't written before the 30 years was up. But I really didn't feel any of that when I listened to it.

Yeah I like the drumming too, and they sound good. They aren't as interesting to me as Ken's though. Maybe his feel fuller to me idk. But you're right the drums are good. Still not sure of they beat Ron Lipnicki but they sound better than the drums on the albums he did. Deeper I think?

I can't even really keep the songs straight enough yet to comment individually lol.

Reactions: Neptune and Slammed
I find it strange that I think Head of a Pin is a different song to the clip posted a few weeks back. I'm sure they didn't re-record the clip but I just remember it different.

At least it's not Metal Church :)

I’m afraid all Overkill albums from here on out will be this hard to evaluate.God bless them for their hard working values and churning out an album literally every two years and I still love them,but I think you’re right guys recycled riffs and silly lyrics from time to time don’t hook me. It’s definitely a strong album and production seems to be a bit more solid and Bittner’s playing is in top form.For me Mother’s Prayer is is good to my ears still way to early though!So on this tour with Flotsam at the very least the Blitz and co.will have all the competition they love and can handle!

Reactions: redfly and Slammed
I'm actually liking the cheesyness of Welcome to The Garden State, I don't think it's super serious, it looks and sounds like they had fun making it and good on them for being that patriotic.

I do agree that with them churning out stuff so regularly it makes the albums hard to evaluate because there is little change between them, but it's something we've all said for years, Overkill is always distinctive Overkill. If they went over the top heavy, or over the top soft judging the album would be a lot easier because it was different. But Overkill give us Overkill and while we don't hate it we do often think how same same things are.

Reactions: redfly and Neptune
I just watched some silly bitch on one of our morning chat shows (I swear it's the Mrs who watches them not me) try to explain the devil horns. From front on, no thumb out, everyone can see the palm of your hand, that means metal.
From rear on, no thumb out, everyone can see the back of your hand, that means thrash.
And if you put two clenched fists together and only use the little fingers on each hand that's too much thrash for anyone.
Now by the time she got to that point I was laughing but then she explained how she knows this to be the truth and I nearly fell off my chair, apparently she learnt these pearls of wisdom at a Nickleback concert!!

I just watched some silly bitch on one of our morning chat shows (I swear it's the Mrs who watches them not me) try to explain the devil horns. From front on, no thumb out, everyone can see the palm of your hand, that means metal.
From rear on, no thumb out, everyone can see the back of your hand, that means thrash.
And if you put two clenched fists together and only use the little fingers on each hand that's too much thrash for anyone.
Now by the time she got to that point I was laughing but then she explained how she knows this to be the truth and I nearly fell off my chair, apparently she learnt these pearls of wisdom at a Nickleback concert!!
Hahahaha! Dude! Fucking what?! :lol:

Reactions: Slammed
I’m afraid all Overkill albums from here on out will be this hard to evaluate.God bless them for their hard working values and churning out an album literally every two years and I still love them,but I think you’re right guys recycled riffs and silly lyrics from time to time don’t hook me. It’s definitely a strong album and production seems to be a bit more solid and Bittner’s playing is in top form.For me Mother’s Prayer is is good to my ears still way to early though!So on this tour with Flotsam at the very least the Blitz and co.will have all the competition they love and can handle!
Agree completely. And it kinda sucks that I've gotten used to expecting half the album to be really good and half to be kind of a repeat or not sounding so great to my ears. It's like I don't really expect an entire album of greatness anymore, and that sucks. And there's so many reasons why this could be the case that I can't really nail it down. They ignore their past so much I'm starting to think they really need to sit down and listen to all their past albums. 1. to see how good a lot of that stuff really is and 2. to help them remember they've already done some of this stuff a few times. Also when Linsk came in he was a blessing, he's technically the best lead they've ever had imo. But honestly I'm getting a little tired of his sound and solos.
But hey, Overkill still rules. I'll always buy.
And I still haven't gotten through the album yet, so I still can't say much on it.

Reactions: Slammed and Neptune
I'm actually liking the cheesyness of Welcome to The Garden State, I don't think it's super serious, it looks and sounds like they had fun making it and good on them for being that patriotic.

I do agree that with them churning out stuff so regularly it makes the albums hard to evaluate because there is little change between them, but it's something we've all said for years, Overkill is always distinctive Overkill. If they went over the top heavy, or over the top soft judging the album would be a lot easier because it was different. But Overkill give us Overkill and while we don't hate it we do often think how same same things are.
Yeah I like it because of the kind of cheesy punk vibe. That's what I expect from punk. So they did it well :)

Reactions: Slammed and Neptune
Hahahaha! Dude! Fucking what?! :lol:

Well the stupid women not only learnt all that at a Nickleback concert she'd known in this country for being on Gogglebox which I think is a copy of an American show where people sit their fat arses in front of the TV and make up rude comments about all the other shows on TV. She also got more noted recently in this country because she did "I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here" and made some speech about how being a fat chick is not easy. So there is quality and brains all right there.