The what's going on in Thrash thread

Well the stupid women not only learnt all that at a Nickleback concert she'd known in this country for being on Gogglebox which I think is a copy of an American show where people sit their fat arses in front of the TV and make up rude comments about all the other shows on TV. She also got more noted recently in this country because she did "I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here" and made some speech about how being a fat chick is not easy. So there is quality and brains all right there.
Lol. Top Drawer!

Reactions: Slammed
Lol. Top Drawer!

Oh yeah, we've been doing shows like that Celebrity thing for so long we've run out of real celebs, we even import half noted America actors for the show these days. It rally is piss weak tv but it gives these nobody's a chance to get another 5 minutes of fame.

Reactions: redfly
Oh yeah, we've been doing shows like that Celebrity thing for so long we've run out of real celebs, we even import half noted America actors for the show these days. It rally is piss weak tv but it gives these nobody's a chance to get another 5 minutes of fame.
Hahaha, on behalf of America I apologize!

Okay so I thought I'd break down the new Overkill and see if I could pin point anything good or bad about it, or at very least why it hasn't kicked my arse from the first play.

Last Man Standing
I like the music, it's pure Overkill but the lyrics seem to be trying to say too much and in some parts sound rushed and don't fit wih the rest of the song Lyrics like "Get in the mix and fight" sounds a bit cheesy.

Believe In The Fight
Cool instrumental breaks, cool solos and some cool drumming although could the drums be louder?
For me the lyrics let it down and the chorus is uninspiring

Head Of A Pin
I still think it’s changed from the first time I saw the video but there is still something there I don't feel fits Overkill. Still not entirely sure what the song is about either

Batshit Crazy
I kind of expected the song to have more hook, something for a live crowd to get into in because of what I read before the album was out, but I'm not hearing it and really can't see it being a kick arse live song. Blitz’s voice is no doubt as good as it ever gets here but the lyrics just don’t seem to deserve it. Also the slow bit before "I remember it like yesterday," before the big solo, is just too slow for what sounds like it should be an angry song.

Distortion
I like the slow intro, to me it gives hope of building to kick arse song. Again music seems to be there but the lyric content isn’t. However I am surprised it goes for 6 mins, so it's obviously not boring.

A Mother’s Prayer
I like the riff throughout but the drums seem to be missing/too low through different parts. The "C’mons" sound a bit out of place, maybe because of the panting? The drums do seem to pick up toward end and there does seem to be a bit of good thrash drumming there.

Welcome To The Garden State
Dick head me just realised that the voice at the start is Sopranos, no idea why it took me so long. I like the intro riff, the speed and the punk drumming. Concentrating on the lyrics I do like the story. I like this more as I listen to it, it's not perfect but it is good. I think it does have a good guitar hook and although at times the drums almost disappear into the background it’s pretty damn cool

Where Few Dare To Walk
The slow intro has me hoping for something good. The move into the heavier drum beat with guitars has more hopeful. When the singing starts I’m still hopeful. Not sure the song fully delivers on that hope though. If this is as close to a ballad as Overkill get I am happy but it’s like the song wants to be some heavy ballad and the lyrics wont let it.

Out On The Road-kill
Intro sounds like something I’ve heard before but not sure what, however that does quickly change into something fast and heavy. The "supreme power and an upper hand” to me sounds like another Overkill song, possibly off Horrorscope, but I can't pick it. By that time it gets to the last time that line is spoken it's different though.

Hole In My Soul
I like the drums in the intro and as they carry through the song but I think they could still be louder. Not sure what to make of the lyrics though

In Ashes
Do the drums get louder towards the end of the album? I kind of like the story in the lyrics, maybe they could be sung a little more forceful. I feel this song and lyrics could have gone more aggressive not, growly but more in your face. The ooh ooo ohh bit seems out of place but the solo is a nice break in the song and I'm not liking the ending.

Overall I'm far from hating the album, I'm not even pissed off that they have created yet another Overkill album. I think the lyrics are a bit of a let down in parts, and maybe the drums could have been more in your face, but I do like the album.

Reactions: redfly and Neptune
www.blabbermouth.net/news/tim-ripper-owens-says-heavy-metal-was-almost-nonexistent-during-his-time-with-judas-priest/

Is this his excuse for Priest not being as big as they were with Rob? Funny because every single one of my bands was still playing and putting out great albums. To say well, bands weren't playing arenas at this time. Non of my bands were anyway. But there they were slugging away like they always did. The times were good enough to give him a career. And I'm pretty sure AC/DC was doing just fine.

Some good thoughts there. I'll keep this is mind when I give this a full listen all the way through.

I think there is some interesting things happening there but it's not (and was probably never going to be) anything more than an Overkill record.

www.blabbermouth.net/news/tim-ripper-owens-says-heavy-metal-was-almost-nonexistent-during-his-time-with-judas-priest/

Is this his excuse for Priest not being as big as they were with Rob? Funny because every single one of my bands was still playing and putting out great albums. To say well, bands weren't playing arenas at this time. Non of my bands were anyway. But there they were slugging away like they always did. The times were good enough to give him a career. And I'm pretty sure AC/DC was doing just fine.

I really don't know what his deal is lately. He claimed JP deleted him and his albums from history but they didn't and the JP website shows his albums exactly where they should be. Maybe the production wasn't great on those albums but there is a lot of JP fans who loved those albums regardless of the production. Many people do talk about a downturn in metal during the late 90's and mid 00's and they all have different reasons for it so I'm sure different musos felt the sting as well. But I really think Tim's just trying his best to hype whatever it is he is doing. He may not be quite at KK level yet and he's not offending everyone he's ever met but I think he's trying to make headlines in the hope people will see he's got new music out.

Funny I checked JP's website with his last whine off too. I know there was a downturn. But I've never heard Testament or Overkill or Slayer make excuses (for a lack of a better word) they just laugh and shrug it off. Metal is underground.
I don't know about this guy. He has a lot of excuses for someone who joined a very prominent band from obscurity and had a movie made about it. The monster energy hat and wrist bands fucking kill me. No slag against his music but I don't dig his persona.

The downturn maybe wasn't spoken about but all those bands felt it I'm sure. record sales were down across the board and with the in surge of free music there had to be a downturn. Maybe he was on a percentage pay deal with JP and he feels hard done by because sales were down but I still think his words are just a push to keep himself in the news. I also have no doubt that the hat and wrist bands are paid promo gear. He looks exactly the same as Todd La Duc did when he was driving Monster Energy Monster Truck

Oh for sure they all felt it. But I like Eric Peterson's take on it " it just weeded out the posers" lol
You're probably right that it's promotion. Although I'm not sure that makes it better. Just let your music do the talking.
I'm also not sure being paid to wear Monster energy stuff makes it better or worse lol. Might as well wear a Zima shirt and have truck nuts on your 4x4. But I guess I'm the wrong person to talk to. I just don't care for him so I might be biased. I'm not sure who Todd La Duc is?

I suppose it was a much bigger hit to take for bands like JP that always had air play than for bands like Testament that only had a brief stint on radio and Mtv. But whether Jp's decline was because of the times or because Rob was gone I'm not sure.

Oh for sure they all felt it. But I like Eric Peterson's take on it " it just weeded out the posers" lol
You're probably right that it's promotion. Although I'm not sure that makes it better. Just let your music do the talking.
I'm also not sure being paid to wear Monster energy stuff makes it better or worse lol. Might as well wear a Zima shirt and have truck nuts on your 4x4. But I guess I'm the wrong person to talk to. I just don't care for him so I might be biased. I'm not sure who Todd La Duc is?

Unfortunately I think too many people are into publicity for publicity's sake. Look at Dee Snider and his horse shit, since his Aussie Tour has been over we've heard nothing about Dee arguing with the politician. Ace and his pissing into the wind about KISS. Even Vivian Campbell going on about Dio choosing him because he though he was Randy Rhodes (or how ever he worded it). The media eat the shit up and the musos seem to think it's worth while publicity.

Todd Lu Duc is the guy who drove the Monster Energy Monster Truck to the World finals. He's sponsored by the drink company and wears all the clothes. I would reckon Tim is the same, he has done a deal that make him money every time he's photographed wearing the gear. Most bands have some sort of clothing deal these days it's all about making money.