The what's going on in Thrash thread

Well Zetro has proved that he can master social media, he might not be the most viewed person on FB and YT but he's throwing out regular things that appeal to some people. It wouldn't be that hard to Testament to do the same.

Reactions: Neptune and redfly
Well Zetro has proved that he can master social media, he might not be the most viewed person on FB and YT but he's throwing out regular things that appeal to some people. It wouldn't be that hard to Testament to do the same.
No it wouldn't, it's so easy and cheap nowadays. I've been bitching about that for years lol. They do almost nothing for promotion. :mad:.

Reactions: Neptune and Slammed
FARK! It's too early. I read that headline and thought Bobby had finally lost his marbles. I had to click on it just to find out what he was talking about before ringing the men with the white coats for him. Then I realised it says he's not surprised by thrash metals relevance and not thrash meals relevance.

I know everything in thrash meal, and metal, gets compared to Metallica (their meals would probably be better than Overkill's) and its a bit unfair because like them or not they are a one off breakaway of the scene, kind of like when you work out an average score you often remove the highest and the lowest number to remove any obvious bias. But there is a massive difference between a band like Metallica and Overkill that does set them apart and it sets their music a part. Overkill posted some pics of their gig in Memphis on FB and you can clearly see the crowd is low, the comments confirm it and you could nearly do a head count via the shot (not quite), but they embraced it. The venue is smaller, the crowd more intimate and the sound would really thump a place like that. I've sure given the circumstances Overkill could play an arena, but there is no way Metallica could play to a crowd as small as Overkill did.

Bobby talks about thrash meals relevance, it's because of how accessible bands like Overkill make it. Maybe it's not relevant to everyone, but no fan wants it to be like pop music where gigs are only played in arenas and world tours take 5 years.

Reactions: redfly
Speaking of accessible metal (I don't think they are thrash TBH I've never heard a single song).

One of the local forums I read are talking about the coming Opeth tour. It's in a 1920's concert hall, the kind of place where they would put a play on stage and a full orchestra in front of the stage and there is shorter sections of tiered seating, I think it's four tiers high and good for about 3000 people. It's not a bad old venue and the sound is excellent, but they are selling standing room tickets in the orchestra pit for $200 each.

FARK! It's too early. I read that headline and thought Bobby had finally lost his marbles. I had to click on it just to find out what he was talking about before ringing the men with the white coats for him. Then I realised it says he's not surprised by thrash metals relevance and not thrash meals relevance.

I know everything in thrash meal, and metal, gets compared to Metallica (their meals would probably be better than Overkill's) and its a bit unfair because like them or not they are a one off breakaway of the scene, kind of like when you work out an average score you often remove the highest and the lowest number to remove any obvious bias. But there is a massive difference between a band like Metallica and Overkill that does set them apart and it sets their music a part. Overkill posted some pics of their gig in Memphis on FB and you can clearly see the crowd is low, the comments confirm it and you could nearly do a head count via the shot (not quite), but they embraced it. The venue is smaller, the crowd more intimate and the sound would really thump a place like that. I've sure given the circumstances Overkill could play an arena, but there is no way Metallica could play to a crowd as small as Overkill did.

Bobby talks about thrash meals relevance, it's because of how accessible bands like Overkill make it. Maybe it's not relevant to everyone, but no fan wants it to be like pop music where gigs are only played in arenas and world tours take 5 years.
What I'm taking away from this the most is the term "thrash meal" lol wtf :tickled::p:headbang:
Frankly Metallica should probably be left out of any thrash metal equation for the last 20 plus years. I think Slayer would be the best gage of anything. They are as big a band as thrash has without going mom and pop accessible.

Reactions: Slammed and Neptune
Speaking of accessible metal (I don't think they are thrash TBH I've never heard a single song).

One of the local forums I read are talking about the coming Opeth tour. It's in a 1920's concert hall, the kind of place where they would put a play on stage and a full orchestra in front of the stage and there is shorter sections of tiered seating, I think it's four tiers high and good for about 3000 people. It's not a bad old venue and the sound is excellent, but they are selling standing room tickets in the orchestra pit for $200 each.
Damn Opeth is getting $200 a ticket? Again wtf lol.

Reactions: Slammed
What I'm taking away from this the most is the term "thrash meal" lol wtf :tickled::p:headbang:
Frankly Metallica should probably be left out of any thrash metal equation for the last 20 plus years. I think Slayer would be the best gage of anything. They are as big a band as thrash has without going mom and pop accessible.

I still tend to think of meal :p as an entire genre in this sort of situation. The Metallica's and Slayer's of this world as far and above the rest of them, like Taylor Swift is above many of her popular music counterparts. Metal and all sorts of it is accessible and people can get to it, be it in small clubs/pubs or bigger venues. Any band/muso at the top of the tier is not accessible and can quickly become less relevant to a lot of people.

When Bobby talks about thrash or even metal in general being relevant to me it's relevant because of that not because it might be better or worse than another genre. If you make music accessible it's not as difficult to make it relevant. There is thousands of original smaller bands playing the venues the average Joe visits, in the pop music genre the people doing those same venues seem to be doing covers or classic hits.