The what's going on in Thrash thread

Damn Opeth is getting $200 a ticket? Again wtf lol.

I don't know what the nose bleed tickets are worth but $200 seems stupid. I did see one guy claim he was stoked to pay $250 for Metallica/Slipknot tickets. $250 for what might be 3 hours entertainment? That's a massive whack in the wallet even if you're in the front row and can give James a squirrel grip as he walks past.

Reactions: Neptune and redfly
Bwahaha...what in the mother fuck is a squirrel grip?!! Wait I'm not sure I want you to tell me! :p
I'm not paying that much to see anyone. Not anyone. To me that's milking it. Whole festivals with almost every band you've ever wanted to see aren't that much.

Reactions: Neptune and Slammed
Grabbing someone on the nuts :p

I think in this country festivals might go for $150ish maybe a bit more, I've never paid for any I went to. But yeah I agree it's massive outlay for a bit of entertainment. It's no wonder people come home from these gigs and the first thing they want to do is bitch about it on social media. They are pissed off with themselves that they fell into the trap of paying such a fee.

I didn't realise it was an Aussie term. I figured all sports had players with nuts and that any sport where they are in close contact or tackling would have someone going for the sly grip when they were not getting their own way. It's definitely not an approved tacit and there has been some outright cunt moves by football players even lifting other players up with such a grip, but I figured other football like sports around the world would have the same issue.

FARK! It's too early. I read that headline and thought Bobby had finally lost his marbles. I had to click on it just to find out what he was talking about before ringing the men with the white coats for him. Then I realised it says he's not surprised by thrash metals relevance and not thrash meals relevance.

I know everything in thrash meal, and metal, gets compared to Metallica (their meals would probably be better than Overkill's) and its a bit unfair because like them or not they are a one off breakaway of the scene, kind of like when you work out an average score you often remove the highest and the lowest number to remove any obvious bias. But there is a massive difference between a band like Metallica and Overkill that does set them apart and it sets their music a part. Overkill posted some pics of their gig in Memphis on FB and you can clearly see the crowd is low, the comments confirm it and you could nearly do a head count via the shot (not quite), but they embraced it. The venue is smaller, the crowd more intimate and the sound would really thump a place like that. I've sure given the circumstances Overkill could play an arena, but there is no way Metallica could play to a crowd as small as Overkill did.

Bobby talks about thrash meals relevance, it's because of how accessible bands like Overkill make it. Maybe it's not relevant to everyone, but no fan wants it to be like pop music where gigs are only played in arenas and world tours take 5 years.
Part of the attraction for me with thrash is that it isn't super accessible..it's accessible to us because we found that certain something that appeals. But it doesn't appeal to everyone. And I think that's why it has such a die hard fanbase because the people who like it for whatever reason have acquired a taste for that thing that others find off putting. Metallica is huge because they made themselves more accessible to the masses. Am I making sense? I feel like I'm not explaining myself well. I'm tired lol.
Maybe another time :D Oh and I'm going to start using "Fark".

I didn't realise it was an Aussie term. I figured all sports had players with nuts and that any sport where they are in close contact or tackling would have someone going for the sly grip when they were not getting their own way. It's definitely not an approved tacit and there has been some outright cunt moves by football players even lifting other players up with such a grip, but I figured other football like sports around the world would have the same issue.
Lol, they may very well. I'm not very much of a sports guy though lol.

Reactions: Slammed
Part of the attraction for me with thrash is that it isn't super accessible..it's accessible to us because we found that certain something that appeals. But it doesn't appeal to everyone. And I think that's why it has such a die hard fanbase because the people who like it for whatever reason have acquired a taste for that thing that others find off putting. Metallica is huge because they made themselves more accessible to the masses. Am I making sense? I feel like I'm not explaining myself well. I'm tired lol.
Maybe another time :D Oh and I'm going to start using "Fark".

It does make sense and I also think its the reason a lot of fans got into it, less accessible at the time and less people into it. Death metal and other extreme metal genres are the same. However I do think it's more accessible now than it used to be, at least in this country. If I lived in the city I could find a metal gig somewhere at least 4 nights a week, it's not always going to be the biggest of the genres but there is always something. Even back when we were playing in the 90's it wasn't that hard to find something metal related 2 nights a week. It means punters have the chance to see something live and get into in, maybe even find some new local band they hadn't heard before. Then when bands like Overkill, even Metal Church, come to town it's like a bonus gig throwing up something that doesn't get seen that often. If I lived in the city and was single I probably wouldn't spend too many nights home, and I certainly wouldn't be seeing these bands that want more than $150 for a show.

Lol, they may very well. I'm not very much of a sports guy though lol.

I'm not either, but if some dirty prick does that in one game of football here it's hard not to find out about it because all the news services discuss it and it becomes the controversial topic of the week, in a slow news week it can last even longer.

It does make sense and I also think its the reason a lot of fans got into it, less accessible at the time and less people into it. Death metal and other extreme metal genres are the same. However I do think it's more accessible now than it used to be, at least in this country. If I lived in the city I could find a metal gig somewhere at least 4 nights a week, it's not always going to be the biggest of the genres but there is always something. Even back when we were playing in the 90's it wasn't that hard to find something metal related 2 nights a week. It means punters have the chance to see something live and get into in, maybe even find some new local band they hadn't heard before. Then when bands like Overkill, even Metal Church, come to town it's like a bonus gig throwing up something that doesn't get seen that often. If I lived in the city and was single I probably wouldn't spend too many nights home, and I certainly wouldn't be seeing these bands that want more than $150 for a show.
Yeah that's very true, it does seem like there are more shows and more places to play than there were in the past. More local bands. And the scene is bigger now, although I'm not sure that's completely related because there are so many pop metal bands now. God I hate even saying pop metal. They should be ashamed of themselves. Using the power of the riff to try and make their lame ass music seem edgy. And still going around calling themselves metal. Where's Baloff when we need him!

Yeah that's very true, it does seem like there are more shows and more places to play than there were in the past. More local bands. And the scene is bigger now, although I'm not sure that's completely related because there are so many pop metal bands now. God I hate even saying pop metal. They should be ashamed of themselves. Using the power of the riff to try and make their lame ass music seem edgy. And still going around calling themselves metal. Where's Baloff when we need him!

I haven't looked at a gig guide for a few months but in Melbourne there does seem to be a pattern to the gigs, certain areas, like right in the city, will predominantly do covers and rock but moving out into the burbs and there is more metal. Not many bands have a residency (there is a few) but there are at least half a dozen venues I can think of that are metal and metal only and they will go from heavy all the way to extreme pulling both local and international bands. I'm pretty sure there is still some venues that do the "chick with dicks" type metal but it's not like you have to see them just to see a metal gig because there is real metal somewhere else.

Reactions: redfly and Neptune
Man isn't grabbing some dudes nuts to win really just another form of losing? :p

Funnily enough the one sport were the squirrel grip was getting news a few years ago (Aussie rules football) is the only male sport in the country that doesn't have an openly gay person playing it. They have a gay pride round, but in 16 teams of 50-ish players each (total roster of players) not one guy has come out as gay. I'm betting that has nothing to do with the tough guy attitude that footballers portray!

Reactions: redfly and Neptune
I haven't looked at a gig guide for a few months but in Melbourne there does seem to be a pattern to the gigs, certain areas, like right in the city, will predominantly do covers and rock but moving out into the burbs and there is more metal. Not many bands have a residency (there is a few) but there are at least half a dozen venues I can think of that are metal and metal only and they will go from heavy all the way to extreme pulling both local and international bands. I'm pretty sure there is still some venues that do the "chick with dicks" type metal but it's not like you have to see them just to see a metal gig because there is real metal somewhere else.
But do those places have good pizza?! :p
That's cool that so many bands can get around there :headbang:

Funnily enough the one sport were the squirrel grip was getting news a few years ago (Aussie rules football) is the only male sport in the country that doesn't have an openly gay person playing it. They have a gay pride round, but in 16 teams of 50-ish players each (total roster of players) not one guy has come out as gay. I'm betting that has nothing to do with the tough guy attitude that footballers portray!
Lol a gay pride round? No shit. Nahhh I'm sure the tough guy attitude has nothing to do with it!

But do those places have good pizza?! :p
That's cool that so many bands can get around there :headbang:

No we save the pizza for bands who play to the CWA! I don't think Snake would be game to go into some of the metal clubs we have :)

Melbourne's always been a very music (and I suppose arts in general) orientated city there is a shitload of music on every night, but that shitload also comes a large amount of crap that is cringe worthy.

Reactions: redfly
Lol a gay pride round? No shit. Nahhh I'm sure the tough guy attitude has nothing to do with it!

Oh yeah instead of their own team colours they wear jumpers with multiple colours and they have the LGBQTRFSJDTEKBFGSGFYDKD flag flying high. It's the weekend they all pretend to be tolerant and accepting of others while really not giving a fuck. But it's good for the CEO's and makes the SJW's happy.

No we save the pizza for bands who play to the CWA! I don't think Snake would be game to go into some of the metal clubs we have :)

Melbourne's always been a very music (and I suppose arts in general) orientated city there is a shitload of music on every night, but that shitload also comes a large amount of crap that is cringe worthy.
:lol: That would be great to switch the name of the club and send Rachel and Snake to one of those places!

Funny how the cringe grows with the good.

Oh yeah instead of their own team colours they wear jumpers with multiple colours and they have the LGBQTRFSJDTEKBFGSGFYDKD flag flying high. It's the weekend they all pretend to be tolerant and accepting of others while really not giving a fuck. But it's good for the CEO's and makes the SJW's happy.
Lol the whole damn alphabet huh?! That's pretty gay! I've honestly never heard of that. Like I said I don't follow sports but it still seems like something I'd have seen at some point lol.

:lol: That would be great to switch the name of the club and send Rachel and Snake to one of those places!

Funny how the cringe grows with the good.

I don't think that fancy fucking nose ring would survive :)

The good thing about the cringe is that it keeps wannabes away.