The what's going on in Thrash thread

Rob has spoken and realistically it's exactly as a press release should read. He admits to reading the book, admits to using it as an influence and suggests they band knew nothing. He doesn't admit to liking the author and he doesn't actually admit to liking the text, he does admit to it influencing him though. Sure what he says can be read that he is a supporter of the author and agrees with what is said in the book but from what I've read he doesn't outright say that. For me it's similar to but not the same as what Lemmy, Hennemen and others have copped flak for over the years. Rob may have gone a little further and unless the songs are released and people actual hear the 'influence' in the songs it's going to be difficult to make any solid argument. But I still want to hear the album and think Relapse have taken the pussy approach and tried to make a name for themselves by being seen to stand up against something they think they don't agree with. If the guy really is deserving of the dislike for what he's written let the people decide, or at least give them the tools to make the decision, don't just say it's so.

Rob also wishes his band mates the best for the future. No one's suggested the band are breaking up as far as I know, not even the band's words suggested that, but maybe Rob's decided he's pulling away to stop the negative press hitting the band.

Reactions: redfly
Wiki done me wrong. Apparently it's July 19. Glad I didn't go back down the street looking for it.

It's been one of those days, topped off tonight with me trying to figure out how to fix a toilet valve and wondering why the hardware shop has 10 different varieties of them but not mine. Took me an hour to realise that what the shop has isn't a spare part, I don't have to make it fit with what's in there, it replaces everything and I toss the other shit out with the valve. My brain hurts from thinking :)
Noooo, not wiki?! I don't believe it :p

Ugh I hate dealing with that crap...lol. But it's nice they make those kits with everything now.

Reactions: Slammed
Rob has spoken and realistically it's exactly as a press release should read. He admits to reading the book, admits to using it as an influence and suggests they band knew nothing. He doesn't admit to liking the author and he doesn't actually admit to liking the text, he does admit to it influencing him though. Sure what he says can be read that he is a supporter of the author and agrees with what is said in the book but from what I've read he doesn't outright say that. For me it's similar to but not the same as what Lemmy, Hennemen and others have copped flak for over the years. Rob may have gone a little further and unless the songs are released and people actual hear the 'influence' in the songs it's going to be difficult to make any solid argument. But I still want to hear the album and think Relapse have taken the pussy approach and tried to make a name for themselves by being seen to stand up against something they think they don't agree with. If the guy really is deserving of the dislike for what he's written let the people decide, or at least give them the tools to make the decision, don't just say it's so.

Rob also wishes his band mates the best for the future. No one's suggested the band are breaking up as far as I know, not even the band's words suggested that, but maybe Rob's decided he's pulling away to stop the negative press hitting the band.
The fact that he thanks the guy knowing what the guy is all about suggests Rob supports it. But it only suggests it. I'm NOT saying he does. You're right I'm not going to be the guy who damns him without hearing anything. And I guess it's not to different from Lemmy and others but I don't think they thank anyone in the Nazi party lol.
I hope it gets released so we can actually make up our own minds. It's unfortunate for the band who worked hard on it

Noooo, not wiki?! I don't believe it :p

Ugh I hate dealing with that crap...lol. But it's nice they make those kits with everything now.

I've since found out I wasted all that brain power because it appears I've fixed the problem and don't need replacement parts.

The fact that he thanks the guy knowing what the guy is all about suggests Rob supports it. But it only suggests it. I'm NOT saying he does. You're right I'm not going to be the guy who damns him without hearing anything. And I guess it's not to different from Lemmy and others but I don't think they thank anyone in the Nazi party lol.
I hope it gets released so we can actually make up our own minds. It's unfortunate for the band who worked hard on it

The big difference between Lemmy and Henneman etc were that the media condemned them for their interests not the label. Obviously the label always has the final say in what they release but I still find it a little weird that they signed a guy who used to lead a punk band and didn't expect him to write something some would deem controversial.

Did Anselmo lose his label when he did the nazi salute and was recorded saying what he said? I know the topic of what he did still comes up from time to time and people demanded he issue an apology but I don't remember if his band lost any contracts or anything. I still think too many people in this world are too quick to try and remove the situation rather than fix it. Look at Anselmo now, people remember what he did but he's still selling music and playing live, no one even cares whether he actually meant his apology. Relapse should have held the album back and tried to resolve things rather than just killing everything.

www.blabbermouth.net/news/former-overkill-guitarist-bobby-gustafson-explains-why-he-passed-on-dave-mustaines-offer-to-join-megadeth/

I honestly couldn't picture him in Megadeth. For rhythm maybe. But not lead. He would have been the worst guy to have the job in their history lol.

Yeah I can't see him as lead either, even as rhythm I don't think his image would have been right. Overkill and Megadeth might both be thrash bands but they are different, I think Bobby would have had to change too much to fit into Megadeth, and lets face it Dave was never going to change :)

The big difference between Lemmy and Henneman etc were that the media condemned them for their interests not the label. Obviously the label always has the final say in what they release but I still find it a little weird that they signed a guy who used to lead a punk band and didn't expect him to write something some would deem controversial.

Did Anselmo lose his label when he did the nazi salute and was recorded saying what he said? I know the topic of what he did still comes up from time to time and people demanded he issue an apology but I don't remember if his band lost any contracts or anything. I still think too many people in this world are too quick to try and remove the situation rather than fix it. Look at Anselmo now, people remember what he did but he's still selling music and playing live, no one even cares whether he actually meant his apology. Relapse should have held the album back and tried to resolve things rather than just killing everything.
The only thing I know about Anselmo aside from he's still taking crap in every article in the comments section is that he is losing shows. I know a few in New Zealand were recently cancelled when that black metal person burned the churches.
I never thought he should apologize, I buy the explanation. It looked to me like he was reacting to someone in the crowd even before he explained it that way. I've seen the guy hug a kiss black people and Chuck Billy and give out love in various forms. But whatever. No skin off my nose. People are gonna bitch and complain no matter what happens.
But it is still costing him gigs.
And maybe why he's on his own label?

Last edited:
Yeah I can't see him as lead either, even as rhythm I don't think his image would have been right. Overkill and Megadeth might both be thrash bands but they are different, I think Bobby would have had to change too much to fit into Megadeth, and lets face it Dave was never going to change :)
It could be a killer side project though!

The only thing I know about Anselmo aside from he's still taking crap in every article in the comments section is that he is losing shows. I know a few in New Zealand were recently cancelled when that black metal person burned the churches.
I never thought he should apologize, I buy the explanation. It looked to me like he was reacting to someone in the crowd even before he explained it that way. I've seen the guy hug a kiss black people and Chuck Billy and give out love in various forms. But whatever. No skin off my nose. People are gonna bitch and complain no matter what happens.
But it is still costing him gigs.
And maybe why he's on his own label?

I didn't realise it was still costing him gigs. The NZ thing was really a case of bad timing, racist or not they were hurting pretty bad after the massacre and right or wrong they thought they were protecting their own. I don't think Phil posed them any threat but they would have banned just about anyone under the guise of protection. Had Phil been there before the terrorist killed so many his gigs wouldn't have been cancelled, he was a scapegoat for a political party that needed to be seen standing up to everything that wasn't peaceful.

I didn't realise it was still costing him gigs. The NZ thing was really a case of bad timing, racist or not they were hurting pretty bad after the massacre and right or wrong they thought they were protecting their own. I don't think Phil posed them any threat but they would have banned just about anyone under the guise of protection. Had Phil been there before the terrorist killed so many his gigs wouldn't have been cancelled, he was a scapegoat for a political party that needed to be seen standing up to everything that wasn't peaceful.
Yeah I agree it was bad timing. And it was a really awful thing that happened there. I think there may have been some other gigs as well.

Or Dave could have cracked the shits and it could have been a failure :)
Hahaha.
I think if they ever did do something it could be a fast down and dirty thrash album with some good darkness to it. They are actually pretty similar guitar players lead wise. And Dave's rhythm's used to be dark like how Bobby still writes. I seriously doubt it will ever happen though.

Hahaha.
I think if they ever did do something it could be a fast down and dirty thrash album with some good darkness to it. They are actually pretty similar guitar players lead wise. And Dave's rhythm's used to be dark like how Bobby still writes. I seriously doubt it will ever happen though.

Dave has done very few collaborations in the last few years. Maybe he farts too much for them or something

Dave has done very few collaborations in the last few years. Maybe he farts too much for them or something
I don't think he ever really has. I honestly can't think of anything aside from Md45 and then Red Lamb if you count that. I don't think he actually played on it. But I think he oversaw a lot of it.