The what's going on in Thrash thread

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/sa...g-drummer-dave-mcclain-it-just-felt-so-right/

I'm still looking forward to this album, I'm also looking forward to how many more ways that fuckwit John Ellsworth can bring up some kind of racial conspiracy towards the band without actually explaining what the fuck he's on about.
Yeah me too. I think it's gonna be good.
That Ellsworth is such a freakin troll. I wish someone would tell him off. That Tom Carol loser changed his name two more times lol. Take the hint guy. You're bullshit isn't wanted even on Blabbermouth.

Reactions: Slammed
I totally get what you're saying. But I refuse to accept that lol. It's not like this is some classic rock band. As a fan who has followed them for years I want new stuff. I want it mixed up. The classics are for the fair weather fans who haven't kept up with the band and just want to show their kid what they used to be into. Thrash bands should keep it fresh, there's always room for Over The Wall and songs like that. They used to play a good mix. But not since the reunion. I also find it weird that they don't do Return To Serenity. It's probably their biggest hit and could be a good crowd moment with the lighters up...or cell phones nowadays lol. Chuck looked so happy doing it a few years ago overseas with that band put together for..I think it was some special Christmas show?
I blame laziness.
I don't even think they got 40-45 minutes with Slayer unfortunately. :yell:

I think the audiences of festivals are more often than not a classic hits audience. Sure there will be some fans who go to any festival to see Testament but there are also people there to see every other band and not Testament. It goes for all bands and I can see why playing a more classic hits package would work for such gigs. It's also one of the reasons I dislike festivals.
I see no excuse for them not playing a range of songs when they headline a gig and I agree that updating the set list keeps it fresh. I also think that given sales of music are supposedly down doing different sets would allow them a range of DVD's to sell, or even stream even though that doesn't make them money.

I do find it interesting that when Anthrax finally changed their tired set list they copped just as much crap about having the same set list, it's like people didn't even realise they'd changed. But then look at the promotional bonus JP got this past tour by playing songs that they haven't played for 20+ years. It can obviously be a good thing when bands do change it up, but I'm still going to blame festivals and such for the repetitive set lists and given that I'm sure I've seen more festival gigs from Anthrax and Testament I'm not going to be swayed :p

Reactions: redfly
Yeah me too. I think it's gonna be good.
That Ellsworth is such a freakin troll. I wish someone would tell him off. That Tom Carol loser changed his name two more times lol. Take the hint guy. You're bullshit isn't wanted even on Blabbermouth.

I look forward to seeing another full set from the guys too, they look like they can still cut it live.

I could understand Ellsworth being stuck on some racial dislike for the band if there was merit, but I don't even know what the fuck he's on about. Look at any other topic/band/muso and you can generally tell where the hatred stems from even if you don't agree with it. But this hatred for SR never seems to get explained. He seems to think SR are some how racist because they don't have a black drummer, maybe they are, maybe they aren't but plenty of bands don't have black drummers. I did at one point wonder if he knew someone who tried out for the slot and they didn't get selectedso they played the race card, (there are plenty of people open to such bullshit in the real world) but I can't even find justification for that. The one thing that does go against him is that no one else seems to agree. Even on other articles where the commentors are complete whack jobs someone can usually be found agreeing with them, but not this idiot on his racial crap against SR.

I think the audiences of festivals are more often than not a classic hits audience. Sure there will be some fans who go to any festival to see Testament but there are also people there to see every other band and not Testament. It goes for all bands and I can see why playing a more classic hits package would work for such gigs. It's also one of the reasons I dislike festivals.
I see no excuse for them not playing a range of songs when they headline a gig and I agree that updating the set list keeps it fresh. I also think that given sales of music are supposedly down doing different sets would allow them a range of DVD's to sell, or even stream even though that doesn't make them money.

I do find it interesting that when Anthrax finally changed their tired set list they copped just as much crap about having the same set list, it's like people didn't even realise they'd changed. But then look at the promotional bonus JP got this past tour by playing songs that they haven't played for 20+ years. It can obviously be a good thing when bands do change it up, but I'm still going to blame festivals and such for the repetitive set lists and given that I'm sure I've seen more festival gigs from Anthrax and Testament I'm not going to be swayed :p
I feel kind of like the only difference between what's a classic song and what isn't is just the difference between a song they've played live a shitload of times and ones they haven't. It not like Testament had any real radio hits. I feel like those songs are classics because when they came out the band didn't have much material and so they played them all the time. Anything can be a crowd favorite if you play it enough for people to recognize it.

I know I'm done buying concert dvd's ,bluerays. cd's until the set gets changed some. How many times can you buy the same thing?

It is weird about Anthrax, you're right Priest, Maiden and Metallica all get big props for changing songs. Anthrax for some reason not so much.

I look forward to seeing another full set from the guys too, they look like they can still cut it live.

I could understand Ellsworth being stuck on some racial dislike for the band if there was merit, but I don't even know what the fuck he's on about. Look at any other topic/band/muso and you can generally tell where the hatred stems from even if you don't agree with it. But this hatred for SR never seems to get explained. He seems to think SR are some how racist because they don't have a black drummer, maybe they are, maybe they aren't but plenty of bands don't have black drummers. I did at one point wonder if he knew someone who tried out for the slot and they didn't get selectedso they played the race card, (there are plenty of people open to such bullshit in the real world) but I can't even find justification for that. The one thing that does go against him is that no one else seems to agree. Even on other articles where the commentors are complete whack jobs someone can usually be found agreeing with them, but not this idiot on his racial crap against SR.
Yeah it seems to come out of nowhere. And let's face it Metal is a prominently white form of music. Not because of any sort of racism or segregation. It's just the way it is. Certain kinds of people are more attracted to things than other kinds of people.

I really do hope Megadeth blow this one out of the water. Dystopia was a good album but I would still like to hear Megadeth do better.
Yeah me too, pick up the pace even more. Put a little more fire into the vocals...if that will be possible now. I hope so. But who knows what will happen to his voice after this.

I feel kind of like the only difference between what's a classic song and what isn't is just the difference between a song they've played live a shitload of times and ones they haven't. It not like Testament had any real radio hits. I feel like those songs are classics because when they came out the band didn't have much material and so they played them all the time. Anything can be a crowd favorite if you play it enough for people to recognize it.

I know I'm done buying concert dvd's ,bluerays. cd's until the set gets changed some. How many times can you buy the same thing?

It is weird about Anthrax, you're right Priest, Maiden and Metallica all get big props for changing songs. Anthrax for some reason not so much.

In terms of classics I was thinking more of the songs that people know because they have been around for so long rather than classic hits radio type songs. I agree that if any song was played enough it could become a classic, or perhaps a must have in the set list. I've seen plenty of smaller bands change their own set list mid gig because of the crowd reaction, I kind of see these same song sets the likes of Anthrax, Testament etc as those types of gigs. They know they only have a short time to play so rather than give a crowd that may not be into it 100% a song they don't know as well they give them one they know will make a pit.

I agree with not buying the same DVD over and over again. I guess it's what makes streaming so popular, but at the same time those DVD's like Overkill did for Horoscope do make it an easier decision to buy.

I think Anthrax suffer from the KK read on headlines problem in many cases. People often react to Anthrax but not always positively. I don't wish to see Anthrax fail but I really would like to see them release something and head out on tour as a headline act to support it. I don't really think they've done a great headline tour for a long time. Makes me wonder if they've kind of gotten comfortable in what they've got.

Yeah it seems to come out of nowhere. And let's face it Metal is a prominently white form of music. Not because of any sort of racism or segregation. It's just the way it is. Certain kinds of people are more attracted to things than other kinds of people.

It's almost like that Ellsworth dick has some inside information. If he does he's like a teenager on Facebook, he posts an empty message that says nothing in the hope people ask what he means. Of course he could just be a dickhead with no brains, but it does make me wonder why he's not kicking other bands if he does have something.

Yeah me too, pick up the pace even more. Put a little more fire into the vocals...if that will be possible now. I hope so. But who knows what will happen to his voice after this.

Given the success rate of the cancer he has I think the chances of his vocals not being effected are good, but no matter what the actual outcome I think people will be overly critical. There is a lot of well wishing messages out there but when the album is released you can bet there is going to be people saying negative shit and blaming the cancer or the treatment. With luck the music will speak for itself and blow the nay sayers out of the water.

In terms of classics I was thinking more of the songs that people know because they have been around for so long rather than classic hits radio type songs. I agree that if any song was played enough it could become a classic, or perhaps a must have in the set list. I've seen plenty of smaller bands change their own set list mid gig because of the crowd reaction, I kind of see these same song sets the likes of Anthrax, Testament etc as those types of gigs. They know they only have a short time to play so rather than give a crowd that may not be into it 100% a song they don't know as well they give them one they know will make a pit.

I agree with not buying the same DVD over and over again. I guess it's what makes streaming so popular, but at the same time those DVD's like Overkill did for Horoscope do make it an easier decision to buy.

I think Anthrax suffer from the KK read on headlines problem in many cases. People often react to Anthrax but not always positively. I don't wish to see Anthrax fail but I really would like to see them release something and head out on tour as a headline act to support it. I don't really think they've done a great headline tour for a long time. Makes me wonder if they've kind of gotten comfortable in what they've got.
With regards to Testament. I just don't know. They have so much ignored material. Several whole albums of really good shit. They aren't even playing Souls Of Black anymore and that's one their most known songs. And they don't change it up very much when they do do a headline tour.I just feel like they need to not wait for the right set or the right tour or the right crowd. Just do it. Give us something. The more they stick to just these songs the more they're going to feel like they need to. It's already been 11 years since the reunion. Time isn't getting longer. There's so many awesome songs I'd love to hear live :cry:.

It's almost like that Ellsworth dick has some inside information. If he does he's like a teenager on Facebook, he posts an empty message that says nothing in the hope people ask what he means. Of course he could just be a dickhead with no brains, but it does make me wonder why he's not kicking other bands if he does have something.
I think maybe he's such a numb dick that he's just reacting to the fact that they have Reich in their name. But he's also singled out Gene, Tempesta and Lombardo.

With regards to Testament. I just don't know. They have so much ignored material. Several whole albums of really good shit. They aren't even playing Souls Of Black anymore and that's one their most known songs. And they don't change it up very much when they do do a headline tour.I just feel like they need to not wait for the right set or the right tour or the right crowd. Just do it. Give us something. The more they stick to just these songs the more they're going to feel like they need to. It's already been 11 years since the reunion. Time isn't getting longer. There's so many awesome songs I'd love to hear live :cry:.

Maybe Chuck has forgotten some of the older songs? :)
Maybe it's a comfort thing too, I suppose when it comes to our jobs we all like to take the easy road rather than sweat it out every day. But alas we aren't out to please people everyday like a band is.
It's hard to know what their reason is, I understand the idea that an active pit is instant feedback to the band on stage, but I also think most songs in their catalogue will create an active pit and therefore a happy crowd.
Maybe Chuck or Alex needs to be grilled on the Zetro show about it.

I think maybe he's such a numb dick that he's just reacting to the fact that they have Reich in their name. But he's also singled out Gene, Tempesta and Lombardo.

Oh yeah I guess that could have something to do with it. I wonder how many things would be fixed in this world if a band with Reich in their name actually employed a black musician, or does it only have to be a drummer? Oh dear the questions keep mounting!!

I remember the comment about the 'boys club'. However I also don't remember Gene, Tempesta or Lombardo ever getting a go in Sacred either :) Maybe Slayer and Testament had black dummers try out for them or something else we obviously don't know about :)

Haha maybe.

If they're worried about a pit though then they should doubly be playing the mid songs. Songs like Practice and Electric Crown aren't going to get a pit going. All you need for a pit is to be fast and heavy it doesn't really matter if people know them or not. People just wanna thrash lol, and they have those in spades but they aren't really playing them unless they do songs from The Gathering and the "classics"

I know we've talked about this before. but they asked us to make a wish list but they never followed through.

I want t hear John Doe again!

Oh yeah I guess that could have something to do with it. I wonder how many things would be fixed in this world if a band with Reich in their name actually employed a black musician, or does it only have to be a drummer? Oh dear the questions keep mounting!!

I remember the comment about the 'boys club'. However I also don't remember Gene, Tempesta or Lombardo ever getting a go in Sacred either :) Maybe Slayer and Testament had black dummers try out for them or something else we obviously don't know about :)
The guy just needs to get over it and go have a life :heh:

Haha maybe.

If they're worried about a pit though then they should doubly be playing the mid songs. Songs like Practice and Electric Crown aren't going to get a pit going. All you need for a pit is to be fast and heavy it doesn't really matter if people know them or not. People just wanna thrash lol, and they have those in spades but they aren't really playing them unless they do songs from The Gathering and the "classics"

I know we've talked about this before. but they asked us to make a wish list but they never followed through.

I want t hear John Doe again!

I'd forgotten about the wish list. Okay I'm totally blaming the band now for being lazy and too stuck in their ways! Damn lazy bastards!!

Thinking about it I am a bit surprised that they haven't done an anniversary album show. There has to have been at least one album that's reached an anniversary date of some kind and Megadeth and Overkill have had good press about their efforts with such shows.

I'd forgotten about the wish list. Okay I'm totally blaming the band now for being lazy and too stuck in their ways! Damn lazy bastards!!

Thinking about it I am a bit surprised that they haven't done an anniversary album show. There has to have been at least one album that's reached an anniversary date of some kind and Megadeth and Overkill have had good press about their efforts with such shows.
Yes Lazy or I hate to say it, maybe even someone's ego. :erk:

They've done a couple different albums back to back twice like Overkill. A few years ago they did The Legacy and The New Order and just recently was it The New Order and The Gathering? Anyway both recorded but they've never put them out for sale and they weren't done for any anniversary. Weird. They could really put something together that's really great.