The what's going on in Thrash thread

That was one of the first albums I had borrowed from an old neighborhood friend to record on to cassette, and that’s when my love Of Metal Just took off!

I was never big on collecting demos of overseas acts. I have a few local releases but it was hard for us to get overseas demos back in the 80's and 90's, shit it was hard enough for us to get full albums here in the early days. Now days with YT and people releasing a lot of the older stuff it's easier to hear them but I generally forget about demos as old as Overkill's when I'm looking for something to listen too.

Reactions: Neptune
I like what they've been doing. They aren't going to break any new ground, they aren't going to take over the world but it its good down the line thrash which has been a bit lacking. There is obviously a reason Megadave was talking them up not long back.
Yeah it's nice to hear that old school Thrash sound.

They weren't on the Megacruise were they?

Reactions: Neptune and Slammed
I've been hunting out a bit of old school thrash/crossover this year, there is obviously no one like DRI, SOD, MOD etc but it's good to hear bands at least trying to get close.

I don't know if they were on Megacruise. There was a number of bands on it who got next to no coverage so it's possible.

Reactions: redfly
The 'experts' were waffling on before in another thread about what is and what isn't power metal....in the end it was a nil all draw with time out taken for brain enemas to be injected to calm down the masses.
But a comment was made that Overkill's Power In Black demo was considered power metal by some. Now I honestly don't give a fuck about genres if I like something I listen to it without having to argue where it sits in some imaginary group. So I went and visited Mr Youtube and asked him to show me this Overkill demo and of course he could.

Long story short, all BS aside, no idea if you've heard this but it's not bad for a recording that's nearly 40 years old.

Eh, I don't know. I can see how someone might try and be different and like to say it's power metal because of Blitz's voice at times and a bit of the riffage. But it still has too much punk attitude and speed overall to really be that. Power metal may have gotten more like this over the years. But back when this came out power metal was more like Dio territory. Maybe Maiden.
This is definitely more Evil and attitude all around.

That's my thoughts on it anyway.

I've been hunting out a bit of old school thrash/crossover this year, there is obviously no one like DRI, SOD, MOD etc but it's good to hear bands at least trying to get close.

I don't know if they were on Megacruise. There was a number of bands on it who got next to no coverage so it's possible.
I need to look for footage of that again. It's been long enough.

Eh, I don't know. I can see how someone might try and be different and like to say it's power metal because of Blitz's voice at times and a bit of the riffage. But it still has too much punk attitude and speed overall to really be that. Power metal may have gotten more like this over the years. But back when this came out power metal was more like Dio territory. Maybe Maiden.
This is definitely more Evil and attitude all around.

That's my thoughts on it anyway.

I wouldn't dare argue with the experts who have spoken...on and on and on and on and on about the topic :)

Reactions: redfly and Neptune
Reactions: Neptune
Hatriot are streaming live to FB in about an hour apparently.

Edit: Not sure how this link will go one the gig is over, but here it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: redfly and Neptune
Not my favourite Overkill tune, but they don't do too bad with it.

I like the ad gig ad that appears further down the page
71153933_10162392019065261_3833905335618240512_o.jpg

Reactions: Neptune and redfly
Not too bad. I'm not really digging the clean vocals a lot of the time though. Sounds like he should be singing Fates Warning or something. Don't get me wrong, I like Fates. But not as Overkill.

Yeah I think it's an odd choice to cover, I would have expected something more "Overkill" like something off Horrorscope, or maybe Feel The Fire, but then maybe they chose that song because it wasn't what people would expect.

Reactions: redfly