The what's going on in Thrash thread

Lars actually had a drum kit. The guy whose name I can't remember right now created an entire band, persona, discography, everything from his bedroom. Hit the media with the story of a new band taking America by storm, set up fake reviews and websites to back up his story then booked an entire UK tour. It wasn't until the first gig where 5 people showed up and none of them were the band that his story was found to be wrong.

Lars actually had a drum kit. The guy whose name I can't remember right now created an entire band, persona, discography, everything from his bedroom. Hit the media with the story of a new band taking America by storm, set up fake reviews and websites to back up his story then booked an entire UK tour. It wasn't until the first gig where 5 people showed up and none of them were the band that his story was found to be wrong.

Haha, all fair points. It does sounds like something that kid from Lords of Metal would do!

It was actually a very clever exercise in marketing. The guy proved that with the money and little more than words people can be sucked in to almost anything. It cost some of the venues money for cancelled bookings etc but I think it's a bloody good lesson in not just believing the hype someone tells you exists. The venues that got caught took the words of a guy on the other side of the world as gospel and hired what they were told was a successful band, some of them even paid him in advance, but they didn't check properly and back up his story and they got burned. Even the media got burned because sites like Metal Injection also believed everything they were fed. MI got really shitty when it was proven a hoax and they started to hunt the guy down, then started printing stories about him being an unliked nerd at school etc. They really came off as butt hurt during the whole thing because of the way the tried to stitch him up after the fact.

I don't agree with what the guy did, it was dishonest and cheated people out of money, but he did prove that there are many people in jobs they shouldn't be in.

It is fascinating. I remember when it happened but never really dug deep into the details. Was his band on a major label? Was there evidence of playing local and regional shows? Online social media presence?

Completely different scenario, but About a decade ago, when the band Huntress launched their debut album it seemed like they were a band manufactured by the record label. I dont think they built their reputation playing the local places and getting hyped or cultivating a following. No one from the local scene I talked to had ever heard of them and then all of a sudden they had a YouTube official video, a polished album, and were booked as openers on major tours.

It's not a case of wanting glitz, it's a case of needing it to sell. That Heavy Metal Hitchhiker series was done by some comedy network in Canada (from memory), it's appeal was definitely subjective, it was totally metal, but it lacked the glitz and couldn't even keep a trash site like Blabber interested in it for 6 or 8 episodes. Yet that fucking tool who created a fake metal band, a fake website, fake music and was able to book and entire UK tour before anyone realised he was just a rich kid with Daddy's credit card was being spoken about for 12 months by sites like Metal Injection. Because he had the glitz, he had show, he also had the bullshit, and that was what sold the story.

What I want and what I get are obviously two different things. And given your lack of effort I've decided that I might still option your idea, but I'm only willing to pay $50.
And that's why I added it! People want car chases and plane crashes and shootouts!
everyone's a critic :p

It is fascinating. I remember when it happened but never really dug deep into the details. Was his band on a major label? Was there evidence of playing local and regional shows? Online social media presence?

Completely different scenario, but About a decade ago, when the band Huntress launched their debut album it seemed like they were a band manufactured by the record label. I dont think they built their reputation playing the local places and getting hyped or cultivating a following. No one from the local scene I talked to had ever heard of them and then all of a sudden they had a YouTube official video, a polished album, and were booked as openers on major tours.

There was no band. He got three mates together for an all expenses paid trip to the UK but everything else was made up. I'm pretty sure he convinced the UK he was unsigned and looking for a deal which is part of the reason so many promoters fell for it. They saw his faked social media, his websites everything that was set up and believed there was a real band behind it.

Realistically that sort of thing could happen for any band with the right money behind them. We laugh at the joke all those "Idol" shows are, and all the "X country" Has Talent shows. We see the odd metal act appear in different countries and still laugh. But if a metal act, no matter what the genre, was given the publicity, the money and the outright support those shows offer they too would be as popular as any reality TV group, at least for a few years. The music industry has been doing it for years, look at the Monkees, they get genuine recognition for many of their songs even 50 years later but they were a manufactured pop band. To suggest it couldn't happen with metal would be naive.

And that's why I added it! People want car chases and plane crashes and shootouts!
everyone's a critic :p

So basically the only thing different between your movie and every other movie is the soundtrack?
Hence why I suggested it's not that easy to make a "metal" movie. It's easy to make a movie with a metal soundtrack, it's easy to have a background story of metal, but a real metal movie that isn't simply a re-working of the last country music movie is a lot more difficult.

If I was a real critic I'd have said the only difference between your idea and <insert last movie with a country music soundtrack> was that the kid's dog didn't die after being run over by a pick up truck with a gun rack hanging in the back window! But I was nice and even praise the idea :p

Reactions: Neptune and redfly
So my Destruction CD finally arrived. I ordered the package with the collectible bust of the mascot. Bigger than I expected, but what is that facial expression? :lol: Constipation? Mental Retardation?
destructiondiabolical2.jpg

Attachments

• destruction4.jpg
    destruction4.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 3
  • destruction3.jpg
    destruction3.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 3
No one ever said being a mad butcher is an easy job :)
What's with the bloody time delay. The album's been out for ages!
I personally don't like too many of the statues, dolls, call them whatever, because of the facial expressions. If I want something as a tribute to someone I want it to look like them not have some weird facial deformity.

So basically the only thing different between your movie and every other movie is the soundtrack?
Hence why I suggested it's not that easy to make a "metal" movie. It's easy to make a movie with a metal soundtrack, it's easy to have a background story of metal, but a real metal movie that isn't simply a re-working of the last country music movie is a lot more difficult.

If I was a real critic I'd have said the only difference between your idea and <insert last movie with a country music soundtrack> was that the kid's dog didn't die after being run over by a pick up truck with a gun rack hanging in the back window! But I was nice and even praise the idea :p
No, it's like that BECAUSE of your suggestions. And saying no one will watch a movie about metal. And needs mass appeal :p. But holy crap, maybe you don't know what spitballing means? All I said was I wish someone would make a movie about metal and you went on a whole thing like I was serious about any of it. :tickled:

Reactions: Neptune and Slammed
I was trying to be helpful and create a movie about metal. I was trying to have a discussion about the pros and cons of making a metal movie. I was looking at both sides and pointing out the difficulties in the situation. But most of all I was having a discussion because there was nothing else being talked about. I wasn't trying to upset anyone just because my spitballing came from the other side of the fence. I've actually started with the plot and flushing out different scenarios. It probably wont ever come to fruition, but fuck I'll give just about anything go just for the sake of it.

Reactions: zerostatic
How about this for a movie about metal - do it anthology style with like 3-5 15-20 minute stories about different aspects of the metal scene.

Scene 1: From the perspective of a young, new upstart van trying to play a local gig or even their first tour. Show the absurdity of loading up a van with $10,000 in gear to end up playing a 30 minute opening spot to a dozen or so people at a shitty local club. Maybe do it from their perspective where it looks like they are actually playing to a sold out house and it is an amazing show. At one point a hot chick jumps on stage and flashes her tits because why not. The moshpit is going nuts and they play three encores! :kickass::headbang:

Scene 2: Same set up as the scene 1 but from the perspective of a fan or even security or the sound guy. Show the reality of the crappy local shows. Low attendance...the drunk metalhead screaming play that fucking metal while the other 10 or so losers shuffle around awkwardly as the drunk guy professes his love for metal and tries to get a circle pit going. At one point a guy in a gorilla suit can jump on stage and flash his tits, because why not. Eventually, after being heckled by the drunk metalhead the band plays one last cover song and packs up their gear. Drunk metal guy goes over to their merch stand at the end of the night and drops like $200 supporting them. :lol::kickass::headbang:

Scene 3: Filmed from like first person perspective like that old video Prodigy did for Smack My Bitch Up...but it is some meathead mosher as he goes to a death metal show, drinks at the bar, does the meet and greet with the band and makes everyone uncomfortable, gets fucked up in the mosh pit, 86'd by Security, pukes his guts out on the touring bands bus to end the night. :lol:

Scene 4:A bunch of metal nerds post on an online forum talking shit about Dave Mustaine, Lars, and Scott Ian from Anthrax. Cut to Dave Mustaine, Lars, and Scott Ian sitting around backstage talking shit about how terrible the fans are inn different cities, but you can tell the online criticism is really getting to them. :lol:

Scene 5: A semi-successful band as they are on the road between gigs. Talking about shows they have played so far. Flashbacks to previous nights on the tour and the highlights of different shows....gorilla man jumping on the stage, chick flashing her tits, meathead mosher puking out on their tour bus, shifty sound guys at venues, etc.

Reactions: Slammed
Three encores? That's unpossible :p
I'd love to film Scott, Lars and Dave but I'm not sure the budget, any budget, will stretch that far. Can we get people in cardboard masks that look like the three?
In the interests of not alienating either gender we probably also need big man boobs giggling next to the girl
Bringing the sound crew/roadies into it brings a whole bunch of new characters, gotta be careful they don't take over but you can almost create any strange character you like when you make Roadies. Heavy Metal Hitchhike did the roadie thing quite well.

Oh and you're cleaning up the puke :p

WTF?
I was just watching a Larry The Cable Guy clip on YT, it was titled Global Warming and underneath the video there is a light blue box titled "Context" and there is a description of what climate change is. FFS YT I don't need descriptions and lessons to accompany my videos, especially not when it comes to comedy videos!

WTF?
I was just watching a Larry The Cable Guy clip on YT, it was titled Global Warming and underneath the video there is a light blue box titled "Context" and there is a description of what climate change is. FFS YT I don't need descriptions and lessons to accompany my videos, especially not when it comes to comedy videos!
Larry the Cable Guy is still releasing new content? That blue collar comedy schtick fell out of favor about 10-12 years ago.

Reactions: Slammed
Nah it was old stuff, but I didn't get the memo that he was out of favour. I probably would have ignored it even if I did.
Alice Cooper must have missed the memo too because Larry was at Coopfest last week singing on stage with Alice and Halford.