The Wolfe Amplification Hellfire is DONEEEEEE

Wolfeman

I Prefer EL-34s. So What?
Feb 21, 2006
Cleveland
Started to post on it over in my drunk thread from last night, figured it deserved it's own thread.

GOPR0046.jpg

So it is complete. Works 100%. Totally burned in(or should I say broken in). Doesn't catch on fire, blow tubes or fuses, all controls work, etc.

A tad noisy, but no worse than a 5150 or equivalent on full gain. in fact, with very light gain settings, it's pretty quiet other than some slight 60hz I get in my room(it's my local power, can't get rid of it unless I move).

I love how the 2 gain paths interact. They don't act like you would assume. For instance, turning one up and one down yields a high gain tone. turning the other one up doesn't particularly 'add' gain, but it adds the elements of the boosted/cut frequencies from the other path. And it completely changes how the tone stack reacts too by blending both together. Pretty cool, but I can see some 'standard' users getting confused on how it all works and reacts.

Gain path 1 pretty much boosts the gain on the lows and has a slight mid dip. Gain path 2 is very hot rodded marshall type tone(it's pretty much a boosted XTC channel). So It's not as beefy in the lows as the first gain path, but it is my favorite of the 2!

The mid sweep/contour whatever you wanna call it will also give people a hard time. I think I'll end up trying to draw out what it does when you turn it, because it effects the low/high controls also. It's a great control, and IMO works better and gives you more flexibility than the other manufactures mid controls.

The power section is where this amp shines. The way I rigged the master, you get a much more usable range out of it. I always hate how on most amps, if you go from full off to just a tiny turn, it skyrockets in volume. This master lets you turn a wider range to get that bedroom level volume if you want it. and when you max it out, it will max out the power amp. Like on my other amps, the master always stops giving a volume increase way before you hit the max range. This one just is totally usable. The Depth control works great, adds some nice beef to the preamp. The presence control is very reactive to the master volume. Works like it does on a SLO or 5150. When you crank teh presence, it really gives a LoG mark IV sound.

Anyways, someone toss me some good DI tracks to run through it! If anyone wants to hear any specific types of settings, let me know!

Clip- http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2033066/Hellfire_Final_Rose.mp3
Clip- http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2033066/HellfireGain1.mp3

Also, I can start taking orders. PM if interested. More pics, clips, website manual, etc to come.

Gimme A Price Fucker!!!!

Oh and this should be in "EQUIPMENT" MOTHER FUCKER! :p

Price shall be $2400 plus tax if you live in the great state of Ohio.

Might be keen on doing discounts for people getting my name out there, but I have yet to look into writing up a contract for that.

Oh and $2400 is an 'introductory price'. It will go up after the first 5 units are built/sold.

Here is Jeff's Rose of Sharyn tracks, all done run through the Hellfire. Mind you, the amp currently has EL34's in it, and they are my junk test tubes. Also, the preamp tubes are my test tubes, very microphonic and old. Tomorrow I'll through in what will be coming with the amp, SED =C= 6L6 in the power section and Tung Sol 12ax7's for the pre, with a Jan Phillips 12at7 in the PI.

This is gain path 2 only. Full gain, no boost, pretty standard settings otherwise. Master at halfway. BTW the amp was on 100w mode, not 50w mode.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2033066/Hellfire_Final_Rose.mp3

Oh, and no post processing on the guitars.

Just a limiter on the master for some volume overall.

Dude that amp sounds fucking amazing! Even with the funny bass tone! MOAR clips please! I'm gonna show this to the guitarist in my band and see if he shits bricks like I did. Oh yes, and a price tag would be cool when you get that end of things figured out.