The work thread

This is why I'm trying to become a professor. All of my professors have awesome lives. They get summer off and they're always traveling all around the world going to different conferences and whatnot. All the while, they're actually doing what they love. Now that is the life. You see, that's the advantage of being smarter than the average schlub; you have way more opportunities. Most people are just going to have to spend their lives doing some dull, crap job for 40 hours per week or more.

I know the head Latin professor at Harvard. He's loaded. It's my ultimate goal in life to replace him.

I guess depending on if you're full professor or not, getting summer 'off' varies because you have to do research and publish shit to get tenure and sometimes you'll want to teach summer classes. It does beat most other professions though.

I hope to teach one day.

and then there're the hot college chicks failing all their classes :Smug:

I guess depending on if you're full professor or not, getting summer 'off' varies because you have to do research and publish shit to get tenure and sometimes you'll want to teach summer classes. It does beat most other professions though.

I hope to teach one day.

At the university where I did my undergraduate degree they usually have the grad students teach the summer classes. Of course, during summer they don't offer 400 level courses, just lower level courses that the grad students are allowed to teach on their own. Anyway, doing research and publishing and all that during summer doesn't seem so bad to me. I mean, you don't have to deal with a bunch of dumbass kids, or grading which must be a pain in the ass.

At the university where I did my undergraduate degree they usually have the grad students teach the summer classes. Of course, during summer they don't offer 400 level courses, just lower level courses that the grad students are allowed to teach on their own. Anyway, doing research and publishing and all that during summer doesn't seem so bad to me. I mean, you don't have to deal with a bunch of dumbass kids, or grading which must be a pain in the ass.

True. Where I went to undergrad, no graduate assistants are allowed to teach courses, so it was a bit different for me.

Just finished my first full week at my new job. It's going to be an easy way to make a living and some pretty cool people to work with, which helps immensely.

I'm working on a research project for work AND I'm on here.
Other than that, I just help students with computer issues, check in/out books, and check in/out laptops.
It still amazes me that people don't know how to print

So apparently getting on a project at my job is like being interviewed for the job all over again? I had to make two phone calls this afternoon and get grilled on my qualifications. :erk:

I mean, if I've already been vetted by my boss and it's pretty clear that this project is the best fit for my current skills, then why not just let me start on the project now and learn as I go rather than making it out as if I need to pass some kind of standard first, or 'prepare' myself on my own beforehand? Whatever.

Do people really want to discuss their work on a metal forum? I personally come here to escape the mundane reality of working at a godawful warehouse

So apparently getting on a project at my job is like being interviewed for the job all over again? I had to make two phone calls this afternoon and get grilled on my qualifications. :erk:

I mean, if I've already been vetted by my boss and it's pretty clear that this project is the best fit for my current skills, then why not just let me start on the project now and learn as I go rather than making it out as if I need to pass some kind of standard first, or 'prepare' myself on my own beforehand? Whatever.

Holy necro batman
vzbipe.jpg