The thread of joy and enjoyment!

It's bank holiday Monday today, which explains why I'm much happier than usual.

And also summer has pretty much ended here in the UK. I'm not a fan of summer, winter is my favourite season because I get to leather jackets and boots and not die in the atrocious heat!

Extremely delighted to see my abstract was accepted for a paper I'd be presenting at the International Medieval Studies Congress in Kalamazoo, Michigan next year. The conference will take place less than two weeks before MDF, actually.

I got an abstract accepted to the annual conference of the Classical Association of the Midwest & South next March. It will be in Boulder, Colorado on the weekend of the 25th-28th.

Kevin, I'd love if you could make it up there.

This will be my fourth total, but my first professional conference in my field. The rest have only been graduate student conferences, while this one is bigger and has a good mix of professors and grad students presenting their work. The next level from here will be the APA conference (American Philological Association), which I'll try to get into once I'm in the thick of dissertation work in a couple years.

Oh, and do you know James Brophy at BU, perchance?

This will be my fourth total, but my first professional conference in my field. The rest have only been graduate student conferences, while this one is bigger and has a good mix of professors and grad students presenting their work. The next level from here will be the APA conference (American Philological Association), which I'll try to get into once I'm in the thick of dissertation work in a couple years.

Damn, that's awesome. I'm shooting for MLA 2016. The conference I'm presenting at in April is NeMLA, which is a good step.

Oh, and do you know James Brophy at BU, perchance?

Yes, I do! Not well, but I met him when he started and I've seen him a few times since then. Is he a friend of yours?

Damn, that's awesome. I'm shooting for MLA 2016. The conference I'm presenting at in April is NeMLA, which is a good step.

Yes, I do! Not well, but I met him when he started and I've seen him a few times since then. Is he a friend of yours?

Dude, he's my best friend (best non-metal friend, at least). We were both Latin majors at UMaine and have been frequently in touch ever since.

I'm really not one for inspirational FB, IG or twitter quotes but I did see one this morning that made me go aaahhh fuck

IF YOU DON’T WORK FOR YOUR DREAMS, SOMEONE WILL PAY YOU TO WORK FOR THEIR’S.

I got promoted to a salaried position this past Thursday. Only took 5 years and change for it to happen.

Perks:

-Don't have to do a time card every two weeks
-More money
-More vacation days each year. I will most likely have 6 extra days next year (one for each year of employment) for a total amount of time off equal to 20 days.
-More flexibility if I need to take time off (ie leave early for some event)

Cons:

-No overtime compensation
-Probably have to work longer hours once I transition

Niiice!

image.jpg

I may have successfully repaired my air mattress.

I may get a decent sleep tonight instead of being a cranky fucker.

I'm ecstatic because Deron merged my accounts. I had lost the ability to access my old account a long time ago and didn't have the email address anymore. He kept forgetting to do it.

Somewhat necro'd

So, I applied for a job in IT at my employer and accepted the offer Thursday afternoon. It is for a job that I am basically doing now, but I'll have a title I can actually explain to people and more pay and won't have to deal with external clients.

However, there's some back story. There was a team created for a particular administration system we use (on which I'm considered the expert at work). This is a system used to make changes to a person's account and such. The system was implemented too early and has lots of bugs and my job was to learn the system by myself inside and out 2 years ago.

Anyway, someone on this team designed to teach others how to use the system decided to apply for this position and I knew this would happen which is why I didn't apply for it initially. He was offered the job but countered the offer and asked for more money and said 'Make it worth my while'. Well, of course he offered too much and the VP rejected the offer so this motherfucker decided to blow them off. As a result, I picked up that fumble and ran it in for a touchdown because I begin working in that position in two weeks.

To be the man, you gotta beat the man

tumblr_mzqk66rzeu1s1uj0qo1_400.gif

Reactions: CiG and Dak