The work thread

That blows Grant.

The hardest I am going to work at my job today is probably my morning poop. Ain't that the truth. Can't believe they pay me more than my coworkers who are busy from 8 am til 8 pm Monday-Saturday.

Do people really want to discuss their work on a metal forum? I personally come here to escape the mundane reality of working at a godawful warehouse

I don't really want to talk about my job either, but the fact that you work in a warehouse has piqued my interest, as I also do the same. Of course, those of us in the industry call them "distribution centers".:loco:
Do you mind disclosing what company you work for?

EDIT @ Tom Brady: I wonder what happened to Ender sometimes as well, simply because he was a shit poster, but somehow came up with threads that will not die.

I find it interesting to hear what other people do, though my job isn't all that exciting.

And yeah that sounds damn annoying vihris, hopefully it won't happen every time though.

Yeah, can't say how it'll go in the future -- this whole beginning period is just stressful since I have yet to prove myself to anyone. Plus I'm still wondering if I can really handle being a 'real' programmer :lol:

I suppose the firm that you're working at is more of a consultancy firm that tries to get on as many projects, other companies start, as they can? I can understand their need to interview you "again" if that was the case and also if you're relatively new to the work force. Do you have a probational period Grant?

I work in a bar in a hotel. I make drinks, pour beer and wine and make cocktails. This is just casual work while I'm at uni.

I actually really hate reading about peoples lives who, in my opinion, are doing much better than me. Job, school, going places, traveling, etc. It sucks. My job sucks, my school grades suffer due to my living conditions, other bad crap.

I really hate thinking like that to be honest.

I make just over 10k a year, am being gutted at my normal full time job for hours for the last three months, and I still make only $8 an hour even though I currently have three degree's. I've already went into debt by 1.2k for those three months, on top of the 2k I owe for surgery - not including the student loans which are exorbitant. I drive a little over 100 miles a day, as I work, live, and go to school in three different cities. Even when I do not have to drive to work, I still have to drive the 100 miles because my car, which is slowly dying on me, cannot make it up the steep incline of the freeway as it heads north, and the only alternate route (streets) don't go through until I get into the city I work. What's also awesome is it is now costing me half a tank of gas just to get through one trip a day now, so I am spending $60 every two days on gas (I go to school 5 days a week, and work weekends - you can do the math)... I make about $350/$400 a month now.

I lost my apartment and moved into a room in my parents house that is baby purple and 1/10 the size of my apartment for the same amount of rent. With the money I do make, I pay for gas - currently I bum food off of people or ::shhhhhhh:: steal it. My schoolwork is starting to really get bad because of this situation, and it doesn't help that I average about 16 units per quarter. Speaking of school, half of my electives plus my languages did not transfer over, so now I have to redo them - thus effectively adding 1.5 years onto my education once again... after I was denied FAFSA for two years straight. I should already be focusing on my fucking doctorate.

I also tore the MCL ligament in my knee 5 weeks ago; it has yet to heal. Can't go to the doctor since I have no insurance and medicaid is being gay.

There are more personal things that I won't share, but the above is just some of the shit I've been going through.

Meh.

Like I said, I hate thinking the way I do, but man am I fucking bitter. I know I usually can't just tune other stuff out though so I try to avoid hearing about it and just get by.

Maybe you'll get your comeuppance, maybe not.

Life is a shit lottery crapchute more often than not.

Comeuppance:
–nounInformal. deserved reward or just deserts, usually unpleasant: He finally got his comeuppance for his misbehavior.

So... things will get worse? Great.

I make just over 10k a year, am being gutted at my normal full time job for hours for the last three months, and I still make only $8 an hour even though I currently have three degree's. I've already went into debt by 1.2k for those three months, on top of the 2k I owe for surgery - not including the student loans which are exorbitant. I drive a little over 100 miles a day, as I work, live, and go to school in three different cities. Even when I do not have to drive to work, I still have to drive the 100 miles because my car, which is slowly dying on me, cannot make it up the steep incline of the freeway as it heads north, and the only alternate route (streets) don't go through until I get into the city I work. What's also awesome is it is now costing me half a tank of gas just to get through one trip a day now, so I am spending $60 every two days on gas (I go to school 5 days a week, and work weekends - you can do the math)... I make about $350/$400 a month now.

I lost my apartment and moved into a room in my parents house that is baby purple and 1/10 the size of my apartment for the same amount of rent. With the money I do make, I pay for gas - currently I bum food off of people or ::shhhhhhh:: steal it. My schoolwork is starting to really get bad because of this situation, and it doesn't help that I average about 16 units per quarter. Speaking of school, half of my electives plus my languages did not transfer over, so now I have to redo them - thus effectively adding 1.5 years onto my education once again... after I was denied FAFSA for two years straight. I should already be focusing on my fucking doctorate.

I also tore the MCL ligament in my knee 5 weeks ago; it has yet to heal. Can't go to the doctor since I have no insurance and medicaid is being gay.

There are more personal things that I won't share, but the above is just some of the shit I've been going through.

Why are your parents charging you rent? That's ridiculous.

That's a pretty horrendous situation Pessimism, but it sounds like you could save a shitton of money if you were able to move to the city you work in and maybe buy another (used, cheap) car. I'm not sure where your original apartment was or why you lost it, though, and I don't know how much you'd be able to borrow for a car. The car could pay for itself pretty fast if you're already taking longer routes because of it.

Also read up on ways to improve gas mileage (keep extra junk out of your car, keep tires inflated, change oil regularly, etc).

I used to be a cheapo mechanic, so for at least the next month, I get the basic shit for free (synthetic oil mainly). Trust me, I try with the car... oh god I try.

The one thing that I really hate is that I can not establish credit for the fucking life of me. Before this year, I've never needed to have credit (I should clarify - before SCHOOL, I never needed credit). Because of that I always found a way to live within my own means. But, when I figured "hey, why not try to get this shit started, you'll need it"... the economy nosedived. Even capital one turned down my app. That, with the multiple turn away and credit checks prob looked really bad - I'm still not able to get one. I need to see if my credit union has those debit cards that build credit - it would be perfect. I really don't want a credit card now though because even every business up and added a shit-ton of fee's and extra charges to all my friends and family's shit. Looking at those charges, I flat out know I can't afford one.

So, no credit makes it really hard to get an auto loan. I lost the apartment (which was like 3 miles/15 minutes from my work) because my best friend who I was living with lost his job and was unable to get a new one in time (unemployment didn't even get around to paying him till month 7). He went into some serious debt just trying to maintain his portion. Bless him for trying though, I'm just glad we didn't get charged an extra $2000 when leaving because we didn't sign the new lease - so after our year ended we were paying month to month - that worked out in our favor very well. I lost my job too that year, but managed to grab a job at Wallyworld... it sucks but it's a job.

If I didn't have an old American car I would prob be fine. Shit, 150k on a Honda is like the early twenties for a person if it's taken care of. I would love to live back in the city I used too, but... it's becoming more and more expensive. I would like to move to the area of my school, but as it is I live with my girlfriend, and she isn't keen on moving even farther away from her work. If I move down there though I need to be able to pay rent - I can't even guarantee such a thing. All the work on campus is temporary, and if I were to drive from Riverside to Rancho to work, well, it would suck (the rent there is still higher than what I pay where I currently am, so there is no way to come out ahead).

edit: I understand why I am being charged rent. My parents have two mortgages out on this house and my dad lost his job a while ago. He's been working these shitty jobs and is taking up another at night just for bills. They automatically let me and my girl move back in.. so that was damned nice. I have no problems paying them for that alone.

Wow, reading all this makes me feel even more lucky. I've always had everything so easy. I've never had to apply for a job. I went to university...had an internship soemwhere. After school was done they called me to offer me a job. After 2 years I got a promotion. Then after another 3 years some guy in the organization came to me offering me another promotion.

It's awful that someone who's trying and making efforts can't get anything and things just seem to be offered to me. Well it's not awful for me, it's actually pretty awesome but it's sad that there are people struggling just to get by.

If you weren't living so far I would probably offer you a cheap room to help you get back on your feet.

In case you don't know already, my first language is not English so it's very possible that what I mean doesn't translate to well when I type it.

To me it was simply an offer similar to the one I'd do for a friend in need of help. Personnaly if my situation was along the lines of what was written here and somebody was offering me a place to stay for cheap, I would take it. Sometimes when times are hard you have to take what can help you.

People always interpret things differently. You can choose to see it as patronizing...but my intention were not to make anyone feel bad. I'm lucky enough to be in a situation where I can help others, should I avoid doing so because of the possiblity that those on the receiving end might feel patronized?

So apparently they're planning to put me on a different project at my job now. From the way it sounded, they need people with a greater savvy in 'office politics' for the project in New York, because the client there has been really touchy (they're also falling behind deadlines there I think). Maybe they're trying to do me a favor :lol: