Things you hate that local metal bands do..

The Greys said:
We do not have local metal bands here(i don't think we have live music either). This question to me would apply more to opening shitty bands or local bands in other area's that no one gives a shit about. I'm not really into to live metal for the most part. Maybe i'm not seeing the right bands or the sound just usually sucks.

Opening bands that take their time setting up like it really matters just to play 25 minutes get on my nerves. No one cares so just play & get off the stage so people can see what they came for. People need to stop taking the easy way out forming punk/hardcore bands. I have sat through 3,4 bands that have sounded exactly the same as the band before. Some bands just suck so bad not even knowing.

some hardcore punk bands are actually good.

ohiogrinder said:
some hardcore punk bands are actually good.

true there are good bands in every genre, but punk/hardcore opens itself up for a lot more shitty bands than other genres because it is the genre that is easiest for non-musicians/posers/douchebags to attempt to play, because on a technical level, its easy as hell to play. If there is a local prog-metal band, they probably have a better chance of not sucking as much because if they were that bad they probably wouldnt even attempt that style

Entropiastrife said:
true there are good bands in every genre, but punk/hardcore opens itself up for a lot more shitty bands than other genres because it is the genre that is easiest for non-musicians/posers/douchebags to attempt to play, because on a technical level, its easy as hell to play. If there is a local prog-metal band, they probably have a better chance of not sucking as much because if they were that bad they probably wouldnt even attempt that style

true, but that doesn't intefere with the cheese factor.

Entropiastrife said:

cept technical ability has nothing to do with songwriting ability

It doesn't matter what criticism each one of you may project at the topic of local bands' poserdom, because pretentious "musicians" are every fucking where, any fucking city, any storage shed facility (or the "rehearsal studio") that will rent to bands, any shithole dive on a weeknight, and every one of them is a fucking "rock star" in their own mind. Shit, some of them spend their entire lives thinking that, with no talent or decent product to show for any of it, working at Kinko's or Home Depot, and are always "about to get signed". I guess a lot of these guys really feel like they are embodying something instead of pretending to be "it" when they get up on that shitty little stage, crank their amps, and put their feet on the front monitors while playing their meaningless music in front of a "crowd" that probably consists of their few buddies, girlfriends, and other "rockstars" on the "bill" that night.
My question to the guy who started this thread is - what is the fucking point in getting so pissed off at these wannabee bigtime "musicians" instead of just finding them comical? I believe that a person who would take issue with some local "rockstars" instead of just chuckling about it just might be one as well. Feeling jealous and out-"rockstarred" there, pal?:Smug:

This is one of those eternal truths that should have been forced into The Greys from an early age. Alas...

I like plenty of non technical music. Just because I don't like some music that is mindless does not mean that song writing means nothing to me. All the simple bands I find shitty have no song writing. The thing is nothing about it grabs me. Not a lot of bands in metal have song writing regardless if they strum one chord or wank.

asshole!!

Wait? Doesn't every band have song writing? I mean if you are a band and you put out music, you technically have had to have used some song writing.

nobody seems to want to recognize that, from the standpoint of a musician, technicality does = good songwriting, because if a band just comes out and plays the same fucking chords and has the same beats and same shit as every other fagmo band, then i don't fucking care.

but if they bust out a jazz break or start playing in 17/2 time, i'll care enough to give it an honest listen, even sans-hooks.

If you're playing the same shit everyone else is, then you don't have any songwriting ability, dum dum. I don't think you know what songwriting ability is.