Things you hate that local metal bands do..

i think we can agree that 97.3% of all bands suck the ass anyway.

so im saying that, in my experience, there's a very rare select few bands that can use standard chord progressions and riffs and 4/4 beats and still make music that i give half a fuck about, whereas a band that has no particular mind for writing cohesive, catchy songs but uses chords and beats which i dont hear every damn day is automatically more impressive and musically worthwile.

imhfo.

no shit good song writing its more important than technical ability, what I am saying is that punk/hardcore usually attracts more musicians that are good at NEITHER, because it is easier to throw around a few power chords and make it a song than try and integrate theory and other stuff with other genres, meaning any idiot can potentially do it. plus I have found the best song writers usually are good musicians technically, but they dont rely on technical music as their only device for strong music. dont turn this into a technique vs writing debate, we are talking about LOCAL bands anyway, and I am saying on average there are more shitty punk/hardcore local bands than power or black metal bands, just because most people into more musicianship oriented music have musician

Teh Grimarse said:
i think we can agree that 97.3% of all bands suck the ass anyway.

so im saying that, in my experience, there's a very rare select few bands that can use standard chord progressions and riffs and 4/4 beats and still make music that i give half a fuck about, whereas a band that has no particular mind for writing cohesive, catchy songs but uses chords and beats which i dont hear every damn day is automatically more impressive and musically worthwile.

imhfo.

Listen to better bands, maybe? :Smug:

Dodens Grav said:
If you're playing the same shit everyone else is, then you don't have any songwriting ability, dum dum. I don't think you know what songwriting ability is.

Not necessarily. Playing the same shit as everyone else just means you are derivative and unoriginal, but not inherently bad at songwriting. Of course, since what counts as good and bad writing is subjective, and if you personally consider originality is an essential element of good writing (which I don't), then that's different.

Carcassian said:
Listen to better bands, maybe? :Smug:

im just gonna go ahead and make a blanket statement here:

all technical/progressive/"avant" bands are automatically better than all simple/derivative/"normal" bands.

i demand that every band i give my precious listening time to must be unique and original in some way or else they dont fucking matter and i dont care.

period.

there, that's my fucking opinion.

im not going to post about any metal bands, but this punk band from my high school walk around like their the shit, when all their stuff sounds like my ass, and they already know this, they think their famous when they play at some little venue downtown, and they dont get the message when the conviener of the show tells them that their set time is up 10 minutes before it actually is... I feel as thats a major diss.