This Album is BAD

I've been listening to Evergrey and Metal in general for a long time, since I was 10 years old ( I'm 22 now), listened to many different bands, and sometimes its very easy to tell when their sound has taken a huge change, for good or for worse.

In my OPINION MMA is probably their worst album, HOWEVER!....
Evergreys worst is better than alot of other bands best, and MMA is a good album, it doesn't suck at all, it just isn't as good as their other stuff.

As far as EG selling out..........I get sick of seeing that crap, this band sold out, that band sold out, etc etc, shut the hell up already. Wanna know who sold out? Metallica, thats the only band I can think of that REALLY did sell out. Look at Opeth, they are on fucking ROADRUNNER now, and people shat themselves over it "zomg opeth is gunna b teh sux now!1" give me a goddamn break, Ghost reveries is probably their second best album, second only to Still life and tied with if not a bit better than Blackwater park.

Wanna know how a band sold out? Their music changes a fair bit, and their image changes, and they are suddenly getting more and more popular, this is about the time I'll start thinking, "fuck they sold out...". But most extreme metal bands and such will never sell out, because of various reasons. There is a difference between selling out and changing style a bit, I mean, even if Mr. Englund cut his hair, I wouldn't say " ohhhhh shiiiittt......", so what, he cut his fucking hair, maybe HE DIDN'T WANT LONG HAIR? I mean seriously.

About the whole "elitist" thing, anytime someone has morals or beliefs or standards that they take very seriously, and they express their dismay at other peoples lack of understanding of their feelings, it doesn't make them elitist. Calling others elitist is just a childish cop out most of the time, someone has a higher standard for reasons of their own, and bam they are an "elitist asshole", the people who fire off the word elitist are just as bad, if not worse than the people who fire off "sell out", get the hell over yourselves.

I understand the whole debate about bands becoming popular and being on the radio, and frankly I agree with In a state of paralysis, Kenneth just doesn't seem to understand what he means. Anyone who understands pop culture, herd mentality, the concept of memes, etc etc, will be able to understand and accept In a states viewpoint, but instand Kenneth just calls his ideas absurd and calls him an elitist.

Wanna know what an elitist comment is, and I've seen it a hundred times.

Emperorfan235: Hey guys whats going on.
Darkthronefan765: Get the fuck out pussy, Emperor haven't been tr00 blackmetal since In the nightside eclipse!1

Yes I've had that said to me. I wish Evergrey could make good money off of their music, and It would be cool if they were on the radio instead of the crap they play now, but you see the thing is, inorder for them to be on the radio, either they will have to adapt to the general standard of the culture in regards to music (in otherwords sell out or suck ass), or the general standard and taste of the public will have to change (not gonna happen realisticly, but who knows!).

Anyone who cannot see what is wrong with the general populace in regards to how they think/act, and why it would be a bad thing for Evergrey to be on the radio...well, I wish that rose coloured, fair world could exist like that but it doesn't and probably won't. And if you don't understand why, then I'm sorry I can't help you.

Anyhow MMA is a good album, EG hasn't fricken sold out, jesus, people need to chill out. The bands music, and the message they put out through their lyrics and image are whats important ( I don't mean image as in, u r only black metal if u wear corpse paint!11 tr00 evil!1).

Since I've been over this 1000000 times and I'm not ready to type a bible and watch as people debate me with logical fallacies and immaurity, I'll stop here. :cool:

lunatic fan said:
I just rec'd my copy on April 5th..

I had a pre-released copy about a month ago......

Its plain and simple...Its a pure sell out... I can actually picture Brittany Spears dancing in the background to any of the first 5 songs...

LOL. Dude that's funny. While I would agree this has some of the most "acccessible" music Evergrey has put out to date I would call it anything but a sell out. To say that you can picture Mrs. Federline with this music is just hilarious.

ITs terrible..

I think its very good. <shrug>

I am beyond dissappointed in this..I have seen Evergrey 3 times Live now in Atlanta and have been a fan for many years...IMO, its just not for me...It might be for some fans, its just not for me.......

Now that's a reasonable statement. Very much how I feel about the new Queensryche album. I've been a Ryche fan since 1983 and I am beyond dissapoint in Mindcrime II. Others are diggin it though so....<shrug>

This album blows.. The band sold out, its that simple...

lunatic:headbang:

Say you don't like it. Say you're dissapointed. But calling it a "sellout" just doesn't make sense to me. It's still Evergrey and my wife and kids still yell at me to turn it off so I know it hasn't gotten too soft. :headbang:

Looking forward to seeing them at PP VII this year.

It's still Evergrey and my wife and kids still yell at me to turn it off so I know it hasn't gotten too soft.

Nice argument :kickass: :)
I think this album is good, but I was a bit dissapointed in the beginning, so I understand these guy who are complaining. I think I was expecting an album with more progressive elements and a more complex structure, which made evergrey songs more diversified, so that you discover every time you are listening their songs some details.
The new songs are more simple, and after a few listenings you know them. I think Still in the Water is the most complex song...

But it's still a good album and it sounds like evergrey...
In my opinion the only things I really don't like, and that are 100% NOT EVERGREY are the cover and the chorus of Lost...

I don´t like this shit about "sellouts" and all those meaningless words.

.: I don´t think the album is the best so far by these guys, in fact I think it only beats TDD.
And please don´t go, "have you listened to the album more than once", ´couse I have realy tried to get in to this one. I have listened to it MANY times and all the songs are great, but in my oppinion not as good as the others.It feels like the songs are much lower, and Tom´s voice is not as powerfull down there.

.: Of course I think it´s a good album, or else I would not be writing this. some of the songs (like "The dark I walk you through") are better than other songs from other albums.
It´s just that the vocals, melody lines, gtr solos, and the sound is not as good on this one.

.: As for me, I can´t wait till the next live-gig with E, and hearing the new songs live. I just don´t get what all the fuzz is all about..

P.S.
Someone mentioned S.T. Anger as a crappy album.
Am I the only person in the world who does NOT think that album sucks??
D.S

BlueSky said:
this cd is in no way worse than their debute

OMFG.....

Please never say that again

The Dark Discovery IS Evergrey's BEST albums so far and one of the top 50 metal albums of all time in my opinion....

Personally I think the album is fantastic. Gut wrenching and thoughtful. Provocative and inspiring, this album is one of the reason I picked my guitar up again.

It is great that they have explored a different level and I hope they continue to. There is nothing worse than release after release the albums sound the same. Take Dream Theater for example (premier prog metal in my opinion) their Train of thought and Octavarium albums were completely different.

It shows depth inside a band to be able to do these things. Shows that they are willing to take chance and I think it rules! If less people put experiments down more bands would start doing it and not produce the same "tried and trusted" lines that will sell albums.

Sitting and judging and album on its complexity of song structures is silly. It is like saying "wow that guy can play fast, he must be a good player". If you want complexity go buy yourself a heap of Steve Vai. Some of the greatest legends of music had kept it simple, but the simplicity is in the notes they play, not the phrasing they use. BB King is a perfect example, simple but amazing. AC/DC another example. Pentatonic Minors but freaking ground breaking. I could go on. I think the complexity in this album is the emotional complexity. Screw how many notes you can play in abstract timing. What is the point? Anyone can do that. Sit for 8 hours a day for the next 2years and you can do. The message the music presents is king! The under tones and layered composition of this album are what gives it it's edge. In Flames did the same thing. "Reroute to remain" was completely off the bands usual stuff then came "Sound Track To Your Escape" and "Come Clarity" which combined the old sounds with the news sounds and are brilliant albums.

Exploration leads to new discoveries and who knows what the next album holds?

The other thing you forget is that musicians mature as the produce more albums. Peoples outlooks change and events that inspire the music transpire. This is probably one of the most personal (not sure which band member) albums I have heard aside from the Megadeth release "The System Has Failed".

Anyone who cannot appreciate this I beg you, pick up your tin can and make your own music, and to Evergrey I say "Bloody Marvelous old chap, keep 'em coming".

Starchildren said:
I don´t like this shit about "sellouts" and all those meaningless words.

.....It feels like the songs are much lower, and Tom´s voice is not as powerfull down there.

....It´s just that the vocals, melody lines, gtr solos, and the sound is not as good on this one.

.: As for me, I can´t wait till the next live-gig with E, and hearing the new songs live. I just don´t get what all the fuzz is all about..
Had an interview with Michael this weekend in Vermont and he talked quite a bit about the making of the new cd. I will try to get it up by next weekend. (damn the day job!). He does explain there was no "goal" in writing the music this way for this album, but it was a natural progression for them at this time. I won't say more, I'll let him do it.

Even if you don't like the rather processed sound of some of the songs on the cd, just WAIT until you hear them live. They had all the power and raw emotion of any Evergrey song. The guitars and vocals really leap forward on stage. In Vermont they played Still in the Water, Monday Morning Apocalypse and Obedience (my new favorite EG song) off the new cd. Totally fucking ROCKED!:headbang:

Music is a matter of taste. And i don't think anybody has a right to say "the album is bad", or "it sucks". Of course you can think that way, but they are only your ideas about the stuff, you can't empose these ideas like they are everybody's. Why not just say "i didn't like it".

I know one thing, MMA is liked by the people who didn't care much about the previous albums, "mostly". But there may be exceptions. I am one from the opposite kind. I like the previous work better. ISOT is still the best for me. So Evergrey is still a young band, we have a lot of music to come, just be patient :)

The keyboards are largely absent from the songs, which is disappointing. I've only heard it in the car though. Still, I shouldn't need headphones or smth for it.

I saw them live Sunday, hearing 3 new tunes, and saw the MMA video last week and wasn't real impressed on first listen. I bought the CD because it was autographed, against my better judgement that the songs were not killer, just ok.

I've heard it 4-5 times, and it's growing on me some, but the songs seem less distinct. I'm having to make myself listen over and over hoping I'll like it more in time. It is a disappointment so far.

That said, some of my favorite music I didn't really like at first, so who knows?

Evergrey still kicks ass.:headbang:

i just stumbled onto evergrey yesterday and picked up mma today. i don't know what their other offerings sound like but i like mma. i do think this has some "accessibility" to it but i don't think this is a bad thing at all. that said, if their other offerings offer a bit more intricately weaved song structures and a bit more riffage, i'll be even more stoked.

This album is definitely NOT bad at all. Yes, it is different from the earlier ones, but frankly, Inner Circle was so incredible that a different direction had to happen. I like it...and saw them live last night. They played a variety of songs and one was "Obedience" from the new album. Live, that song completely kicked ass. They have not "sold out". The concept that they even could "sell out" is ridiculous. Think about what is popular now days. Now think about Evergrey. How is it that a bunch of long haired metalheads could fit in that category? The new album is metal. If anything, it is more progressive in the sense that it is less "traditional" than previous albums. Evergrey is an incredibly talented band, no matter how you slice it. MMA is great...in a little different way. :kickass:

In a State of Paralysis said:
As for you pal, you obviously don't get it and you never will. Whatever, I could care less. You're naive in thinking that metal is for anyone and should be on pop radio, you're also naive in thinking that it will ever happen. I for one am glad that it won't and thankfully there are many more true metal warriors like me that understand the meaning and essence of metal than people who think like you.
oh god:lol::lol::lol:. Go play with your long hair you groupie.
And about the new Evergrey album, sounds ok i guess... but it doesn't appeal to me as much as older ones did.:cry:

I didn't like MMA upon first listen either but it has grown on me, the only songs I don't like are Curtain falls, I Should and In rememberence. I told Tom in Lawrence my fave was This dark I walk you through and He told me it was a true story based on a friend of his. It is very dark and tragic..

Opinions are like assholes...everybody's got one and they all stink!

The word progressive means to change...to progress. Not stay exactly the same for every album. I really like this album..it's different yes, but it is really well done. So what if they tried something a bit different? It's still quality music from quality musicians. It's not a steaming turd like say...Soundtrack to Your Escape from In Flames. Roll with it, it's a great album with solid writing and excellent musicianship.

EVERGREY ROCKS!!!:headbang:

Evergey is one of my favorite bands for many years (my first album was the In search of truth)...
I think Evergrey albums are interesting, cause you need listen it again and again and then you realise their beauty... so when I first listened it, it was strange, then better and better and then better... I think the new album is different from the earlier, yes, but Inner Circle is different too from In search of truth, or ISOT is different from the Dark Discovery...

but one thing is the same: unique in music and I like this atmosphere that Tom can conjure up on this records... (and the other guys of course, but everyone knows, Tom is the main character)...