This forum is getting watered down

Frank'nfurter said:
Why should I?

Andy told in the past he used this technique on the snare and kick and all I do is try out this on the toms to get out the overhead spill. It works very well and I can really recommend this.

Haha, I was being sarcastic, man. Next time I'll use some smiley to supplement the message.. :)

I'm sure it's a great technique. If I get a hold of some drum triggers, I'll give it a shot.

Started a shitstorm didnt I? Haha. But yeah everyones posts are valid. And I didnt mean to offend Genius, his questions have always been good ones from what I can remember. Its just like James said, "Put he horse before the cart." or something. There are so many staps that come before learning to Multiband, or before triggering or before Drum Doctor and all that. So many basic steps to learn first. The technology is so cool and I never want to mix analog again, but it also seems to give people the idea that they dont need to start at square one.

Hey Brett you look exactly like the singer for Epica! Now that I know she's a man, Ill stop collectoing her photos. Yuk! hehe.

Well i can say this. I KNOW i ask Very NOOBISH questions caus i am in fact a NOOB. Ive been messing with Nuendo, Sonar, and all these other program for a little over 2 years, and i know im still not HEARING what everyone is talking about. I can tell teh difference between a MUDDY mix and a clean one, but other than that Im lost.

This may be a BAD suggestion but its a suggestion none the less. Mabe we could put together a Thread built of questions that seem to be asked ALOT. Not things about guitar tone or finding samples, but actually how to properly EQ a kick or EQ a guitar, What exactly a Multiband compressor does and so forth.

Granted there are a million places on the net to find these answers, but some of us. Like me dont really understand the "LINGO", some people dont understand what exactly a Bell Curve is, or exactly what "Q" is.

I dont take offence to any of these statement, but i do understand where the veterans are coming from. Even I have noticed it recently. I have been a lurker myself for some time and just recently started posting. And i have asked questions about settings on amps from andy's body of work. Mabe its inappropriate, mabe its not. But if we could put such a thread together with links to relevant information for "NOOBS" i know it would cut down on ALOT of my posts.

Just my 2 cents. hopefully it was worth something ....lol

Da Fukn Guru

some people dont understand what exactly a Bell Curve is, or exactly what "Q" is.

there are places to learn that too, not only on the net, but also in your manual/help file. :erk:

btw, marty's site is really helpful, he's collected a lot of the essential stuff from this forum and other places :headbang:

I've pretty much ditched the forum, I just come here to hopefully pick up on something that hasn't been asked 300 times already. I've been browsing this forum for a pretty long time, but it just got worn out I guess...as shallow as that sounds.

Obviously I'm not the only one who feels this way about.. hence the thread..

Hehe. I find it quite amusing that, with pretty much any community based discussion groups I've ever been on (10-odd years of news, e-mail and web based groups) there are always regular "It's not as good as it used to be..." posts. ;)

A forum is only ever as good as it's contributors (and, although I'm a newbie here, I can see there are some very knowledgeable people here), and the best thing somone who's not happy about the change in signal/noise ratio on posts can do is post interesting useful things themselves. :)

A working search engine also helps, so people can try and find an answer for themselves before asking the same question 100 other people have. ;)

But hey, what do I know. I'm just a crusty old Sabbat fan who accidently found himself here after idly wondering what Andy was up to now. :headbang:

Muttley

James Murphy said:
but another big part of the problem is this false perception that you can just buy some software, an interface, ask a few questions on a forum and blag some cool samples , then buy a POD XT and magically you will be a recording engineer. i have definitely noticed the phenomenon you mentioned of "newbies" (don't really like that term as it seems unnecessarily derogatory) seem to have little concept of WHEN they need to learn things.... putting the cart before the horse, to cop a an old metaphor, and asking questions about advanced techniques well before getting any solid grounding in basic recording. it's not "criminal" though... curiosity is human nature... so i suspect this trend will continue no matter what you are i or even Andy says about it.

it does however warrant mentioning and airing out, because i think many here need a little perspective.... in reading this forum and more often in private IM conversations with many of the members here, i sense a kind of desperation... maybe impatience is a better word... to become a great engineer and rise to the level of Andy, Fredrik, insert your personal fave here.

That's an interesting point. In regards to what I'm doing I think I'd much rather just be capable of making music that I like and enjoy, and those 'basics' pretty much serve what I'm trying to achieve. It's certainly difficult to become an engineer or mastering pro, but what I care most about right now is simply being a good musician and making good music. I guess there is a small level of laziness there in regards to learning all the production shit like Andy Sneap would have done...I just want to be good at guitar, write good lyrics and have decent production, then I'll be chuffed.

People do get a bit bogged down in the technical side. Some have to remember that all the technology in the world is no substitute for solid performing, writing and playing. Those are the things I focus on primarily (though still not up to scratch there either), and the production knowledge is there to serve those needs.

Depends if you class yourself as a wannabe musician or a wannabe audio engineer, I spose.

didn't really understand all that Static. my comments were clearly geared towards those who are striving to be pro engineers.

Nitronium Blood said:
Awesome.... right? Or would eveything be so bland because everything was so awesome that something would have to be shitty for it to be considered really awesome?
i don't think that's what he meant... he meant, i believe, that there would be no work... because anyone could make their album sound great... no need to hire anyone else. get it?

Moonlapse said:
It may as well be the case. Tons of artists these days seem to think that buying a 002 will make them a recording engineer and negate the use of a studio.

Funny, that's how I got started on this...I thought it would be so easy, but after a huge slap in the face :err: I got drawn in by the challenge and I love it now.

Yeah, I think the ability to record at home is drawing a lot more hobbyists into the scene.. some of which push it further and start making money off it. It's how I started too, except it wasn't a 002 that I got... it was more curiosity of how it would sound if I plugged my guitar straight into the PC :p. Then curiosity of why it sounded so bad etc. Chain reaction.

vile_ator said:
Hey I guess its good that most people are lazy, not resourceful, unwilling to do the real research, practice, etc. Leaves more room for guys like us that want to be the best. What would the world be like if everybody was a recording genius?

Colin

If that's referring to what I said that's truly a gross mis-interpretation.

Just so you know.