This is what you get for sharing stems

I have no grudge against you, don't worry. The point of this thread is to prevent other people to doing something similar. Using practice remixes on your official resume is just a bad idea, especially with a misguiding title like "my mixes". People are bound to believe that these are all paid jobs done 100 % by you.

I have my lesson, man learns from his mistakes, hope it helps me. :)
Can't wait for the new full Nerve End album.

Cheers!

I know that most professionals expect 100 % raw files of every single track in the session when they hear the word stems. It's just not possible for me to do that. Firstly, everyone could steal all the commercial samples used on the drumtracks. Also, it would be a huge amount of work without any profit. Most of the users who want to learn, want to just listen to how mixed tracks sound on their own anyway.

I think the "pre-mixed stems", (which is what I used in this thread and in the description inside the rar-file) is a proper term for the files. If there's a better term, please give one. I'll happily stand corrected.

On the first bolded point, no not at all.

On the second point, still definitely not.

After checking out what you posted, it seems you posted stems of your mixes but also raw files, fair enough on that one.

Nah, Jeff just means stems are actually submix groups. When someone provides stems for mixing or mastering, it means there are usually drums on one stereo track, guitars on another and so on. It's a common misconception that people call raw tracks stems. I haven't checked the Nerve End tracks, but sounds like it's a combination of raw tracks (DI's?) and stems :)

This exactly. It's been happening a lot lately...

Yeah, lately I keep seeing people using the word "stems" to mean "bounced files" of any kind, or to refer to a bounced project. It was happening so much I was starting to think I had the definition wrong :lol:

...as Matt so kindly points out.

I'm dreading the day when I receive a project for stem mastering and it turns out to be all raw tracks :lol:

And this is why I get my knickers in such a bunch over people misusing the word - it's become 'acceptable' on this forum to label raw tracks as 'stems,' which is simply NOT the case, and is just going to lead to more confusion down the line.

I'm dreading the day when I receive a project for stem mastering and it turns out to be all raw tracks :lol:

I have allready been asked if I would master some material only to later find out that the person ment "mix" and didn't really know the difference between mix and master^^

But this thread reminds me that I'm not sure if I ever sent away the msg of using one of these kind of practice mixes as sample for my stuff myself...must check that back asap.

And this is why I get my knickers in such a bunch over people misusing the word - it's become 'acceptable' on this forum to label raw tracks as 'stems,' which is simply NOT the case, and is just going to lead to more confusion down the line.

Well, you labeling my files (which were the exact definiton of stems) as not stems is what got me confused in the first place. That term has seem to gone through so much evolution that it's hard to tell which definition is the standard now.