Those missionary girls were released. Thoughts?

Not that I wanted them to be killed exactly, but I wouldn't have cared if they had been.

Everyone its so affraid. Yes i wanted them to be killed and would have kill them myself. The only thing worst than a religious fanatic its a religious fanatic who tries to force his will onto someone. Those bitches where no better than the spanish assholes who camed to my country to destroy everything and impose they will and religion to the people that lived here. Those whores are no better than the W.A.S.P. idiots who invaded your beloved U.S.A. and trown away people of their homes and killed them because they where too affraid to fight their battles in europe and found easier to kill indians and use their lands to impose their will and religion. Its discusting i would have killed the whores in no time if i was given the choise there examples of what religions do since the dawn of time. At least some people keeps their fanatiscm for their own but the people who does not and goes to every possible risk even risking their lifes or taking the lifes of others should be killed. Gods are the flaw of the selfishness of mankind

Guess just being a member of the same species isn't enough. -Satori
O’Yeah? Well...this is where I disagree. Just because we’re the same species you’d think I’d love each and everyone? That may sound perfectly reasonable to you and everyone else, but to me it’s like saying something as absurd as, “Why don’t you have caring feelings for the sex offender? He’s human too.” That’s worse than the chocking dog comparison. Yes, we are definitely on a different page here. Maybe someday when I get This is IT I’ll somehow see or understand more of your view on this issue that I couldn’t possibly accept today...who knows.

I don't think that they can think or make good judgments, they are religious missionaries, they are complete idiots. I think their actions were like that of a child who sticks his hand in the toaster even though he's been told a million times not to.

The difference here, in my eyes, is that a child grows up and learns from his mistake. I think they’re doing what makes them happy and isn’t that what we all want in life? I assume too often that just because someone looks like an adult on the outside that the inside should be capable of logical thought.

I just can't get past the fact that they are well-intentioned...

Dammit. Ya had to say that. Didn’t ya. Well, that kills my “sex offender” example. Well, not really, because that was an issue of the species alone. Not good intensions. But, where’s their common sense?

I guess I'm a bit of a freak.

No. You just don’t contribute to the hate factor in the world. Christ, man, your compassion levels are through the roof, huh? I’ve got a tremendously high level of compassion for animals. Maybe that’s because animals haven’t proven themselves to be rude or careless or lazy time and time again.

“The gilded faces grim aware of my final demise.”

Damn, people. They are not brainwashing anyone, they are just making their point for Christianity. There is nothing wrong with that. Missionaries do not force anyone to take their beliefs, unlike, say, the Taliban.... You should all be glad for your freedom of religion.... do you know what most of these backward countries would do to you if you spouted the kind of anti-God / anti-religion nonsense I read in the forum on a continual basis? Be glad that you can practice however you want to practice. Those missionaries did not deserve to be held captive, and personally, I did not feel that the media was making them out to be such great heroes.

Originally posted by DrX
do you know what most of these backward countries would do to you if you spouted the kind of anti-God / anti-religion nonsense I read in the forum on a continual basis?

I beg your pardon. I hardly consider anti-god/anti-religion rhetoric nonsense :D .

Before defending a faith you might wanna try looking into the 2000 years of utter misery they have caused, wars invasion and outright murder its what the whores you want to save promove. People hates you if you praise Hitler even if you have not ever killed a jew in your life, why does he gets to be so hated and the crimes in the name of the god of jews are to be overlooked? i recent that more than the dead of an "inocent"

Originally posted by Opet
Guess just being a member of the same species isn't enough. -Satori
O’Yeah? Well...this is where I disagree. Just because we’re the same species you’d think I’d love each and everyone? That may sound perfectly reasonable to you and everyone else, but to me it’s like saying something as absurd as, “Why don’t you have caring feelings for the sex offender? He’s human too.

Just for the record, I do have caring feelings for a sex offender, the same caring feelings I have for every living creature, even ones that repulse me like insects. So while I may think this sex offender is an idiot (in a sense) and should be locked up for life, I can realize that this person simply lacks either the will or abilty to control his actions, not unlike a dog who flips out one day and mauls a child - dogs just flip out every so often, and so do people.

I can think like this because I view people in the exact same context as I view animals (people are just animals after all, I don't make a distinction between the two). Some animals are completely nuts, some are amazingly kind and loyale. They are just the product of their genes and experiences and they can't really help what they are so I can't really blame them for what they are.

To me, anyone who takes part in any sort of self-serving anti-social behaviour is just an idiot. I can't hate someone because they are stupid or lacking in compassion, I just feel sorry for them.

I feel sorry for those missionary girls, they are truly idiots, and I don't blame them for their idiocy anymore than I blame a child for shitting their pants.

The difference here, in my eyes, is that a child grows up and learns from his mistake.

Possibly, but this isn't always the case. I've met some adults with the intellectual capacity of 10 year old. We can't assume everyone is intelligent enough to learn, and those who aren't need our pity, not our hatred (I think).

I think they’re doing what makes them happy and isn’t that what we all want in life? I assume too often that just because someone looks like an adult on the outside that the inside should be capable of logical thought.

How I wish they were, but they clearly are not. These missionary chicks were risking their lives to perpetuate a potentially harmful myth, how much more illogical could they get?

I just can't get past the fact that they are well-intentioned...

Dammit. Ya had to say that. Didn’t ya. Well, that kills my “sex offender” example. Well, not really, because that was an issue of the species alone. Not good intensions. But, where’s their common sense?

We can't assume that others have common sense either.

I guess I'm a bit of a freak.

No. You just don’t contribute to the hate factor in the world. Christ, man, your compassion levels are through the roof, huh?

Thank you very much. It's not something I think about or strive towards, I just fell into that mode as a result of my intended "self"-negation. To put it as simply as possible: when I finally broke out of the frame of mind where I felt like an ego forever divided against the universe, my sense of personal division was replaced with a feeling of oneness and connectiveness with everything and everyone. Since then, I see myself in everyone and everything and I can't help but cherish it ALL just as I cherish my "self" and my own life.

To put it another way, I can compare myself to a piece of fruit which fell to the ground and grow into a tree. I can feel like I have just spawned into existence out of nowhere, or I can realize that I am just an apple which grew on a branch with grew from the earth, etc. I'm a part of everything that's going on and HAS gone on since the beginning of time, and I'm a direct result of it all. I am a part of what the universe is doing in it's state of perpetual flux. I am an expression of reality, and although I have this human mind which seems bent on regarding itself as this distinct ego, holding itself apart against reality, I know this is not the case. I am part of everything and everything is a part of what I regard as "me", this is nothing at all surreal or deep or mystical, it's just common sense. I am all and I always have been, it just took me a while to realize it and once I finally did I never forgot it.

The reason I have such a huge problem with relgions is cuz they encouage people to cling to their egos, their tiny notions of "self" or "me". The idea of "self" is so important to religions that they even fabricate this "soul" thing which will be set apart from the universe for all of eternity. To me, this is just ridiculous. We are no more "separate" from the universe than is an apple seed, a hydrogen atom, or a particle of light. It's all the same energy, all the same stuff, and it all came from one place.

Put in another way, consciousness is the means by which the universe has become self-aware. Through you, the universe is looking at itself. If you hate something/someone, then that is in fact the universe hating itself. Likewise, if you love something/someone, then that is the universe loving itself. Neither is better than the other, they are both just human "feelings" and are of absolutely no consequence or importance in the grander scheme of the cosmos. So whether we love or hate, live or die, from the universe's perspective, it doesn't matter, events are just events, the universe just keeps on fluxuating, stars go nova, stars are born, it's all just shit that happens completely independent of what we may think about it. Does this sound cold and unfeeling? Yes and no. The universe isn't cold, this is only a perception, the universe just IS and there really isn't anything more we can say about it. So where does compassion come in? Well, we are humans, and as such we have all these feelings, desires, ideals, etc. Just because the things exist only with our skulls, does this mean we should disregard them? I don't think so. I am a human and my evolution has instilled in me the will to live, the abilty to laugh, the desire for love and sex, etc. So, as a human, I *choose* to value human life (and the entire universe for that matter) as precious to me and as a part of me. I know this is just a perception, just a choice I have made, but that doesn't matter. I am just a person and in my short life I figure I may as well make the best of it according to my human mind (even though I know it's all subjective bullshit and inconsequential relative to reality as a whole). In the vastness of time and space, billions of galaxies each containing billions of stars, I know I am unimportant, but I may as well amuse myself while I'm here and make the best of it, for myself, and everyone/everything around me, and that starts with me, with the choices I make right now, how I choose to percieve the world, so I choose to perceive it in a way that I regard as beneficial and part of that is choosing to feel completely as one with everyone and everything. Ego leads to desire, and desire leads to suffering. Just a way of looking at things, just an interpretation, I know it's not for everyone but it fits me like a glove and I am greatful for that. Ok, I've rambled enough about this..

I’ve got a tremendously high level of compassion for animals. Maybe that’s because animals haven’t proven themselves to be rude or careless or lazy time and time again.

Peoples are animals too and our greater intelligence is what gives us our greater variety (and also I greater propensity for good/evil).

cheers,

Satori

Okay..

Two girls go to Afghanistan, a place ruled by a misogynistic, christian-hating people..

Knowing the danger they would be placed in (even mortal danger), would that not make them willing to "die for their religion?"

And by that, does that not mean that they would find salvation in their martyrdom?

Doesn't that make them just like the Islamic fundamentalists? Violence aside, missionaries are just as bad.

The Mormons stand at the bus stop outside my work all day long. They TRICK people into coming close, thinking that they're just waiting for the bus. Then they start their spiel. How sick is that? They lack the charisma to even start a conversation without some kind of similar social context (waiting for the bus). Anyone converted by these idiots (taking the word from Satori here) is a sad person indeed. I think they avoid me.. I look them in the eye as I approach, and they know they won't be able to get me..

I'm kinda ranting, and I'm actually getting a little angry. Missionaries suck, plain and simple. If god's so damn great, he'd tell us himself.

The Mormons stand at the bus stop outside my work all day long. They TRICK people into coming close, thinking that they're just waiting for the bus. Then they start their spiel. How sick is that? They lack the charisma to even start a conversation without some kind of similar social context (waiting for the bus). Anyone converted by these idiots (taking the word from Satori here) is a sad person indeed. I think they avoid me.. I look them in the eye as I approach, and they know they won't be able to get me..

Ha ha. I got thrown in a watchhouse for two nights after i punched a "Jehova's Witness" Preacher in the face.

ha ha. serves the bastard right. He came to my front door and started to preach to me, and when i politely said "no thankyou, i'm not buying any religion today" and tried to shut the door, he put his foot in the way so the door wouldn't close.

So I broke his face.

:lol:

...Mind you, i did spend two nights in the lockup. :err: