So I Played "When" for my Class...

crimsonfloyd said:
Afterwords a lot of people were interested to find out more about the story of "My Arms Your Hearse".

At the Sydney gig, Mikhael explained he took a line from a song from a seventies band.

"As I carried you to your grave, My Arms, Your Hearse."

He said that we should all check out the band though he mentioned their name once and I didn't hear it properly.

I know that another seventies band he gets into is 'Masters Apprentices' from Australia and when in Australia he went looking for some of their CD's. He even named a song after them.

I was reading along with the lyrics in MAYH and a lot of them aren't in the music. This is correct right?

Spike said:
Wait, this was played in your music class, right?

Was this subject an elective, or was it copmulsory?

If it was an elective, you'd still expect that students would be at least a little more open to new types of music then your average teenie-bopper.

I did the same thing with my english class back in my final year, though it certainly didn't go down quite as well as how you've described.... :bah:

No this is actualy a Composition class, and the topic for this essay just happened to be music. Im doing my essay on concept albums so I was allowed to bring in a song from a concept album.

I picked "When" for several reasons 1) That intro metal riff is great to scare the shit out of people who had previously never heard anything heavier than Kid Rock 2) It contains all of Opeths elements, hevy parts, death vox, acoustic parts, clean vox: the whole package 3) its about as long of a song as I could get away with (I was so happy I got to play the whole and got no requests to turn it off) 4) It fit in with my essay topic of concept albums.

Stephenslr said:
At the Sydney gig, Mikhael explained he took a line from a song from a seventies band.

"As I carried you to your grave, My Arms, Your Hearse."

He said that we should all check out the band though he mentioned their name once and I didn't hear it properly.

I believe it's on the album To Keep From Crying by Comus.

My school isn't diverse enough for Opeth. They like only the extremes, which is really sad.

I played Harvest, some said it was way too boring. I played Master's Apprentices they said it was too heavy. I played Deliverance they said it was too long. There's just no pleasing these people...

Now my mom, she's a pianist, and could easily be a concert pianist at that, she just chose to be a doctor. Anywhoo, I played Opeth for her, and she was hesitant, because the last death metal I introduced her to was Cannibal Corpse. :loco:

But she really liked Opeth, I played the whole Blackwater Park CD and she enjoyed it. Just wish my school wasn't so damn retarded. Sigh...

Only Human said:
i have played Advent and Demon of the Fall in class, and it went over with largely favorable results (you know this, psychomantis). i also played some in flames which more people liked; i suppose because it's more upbeat and less dark.

Yea, you played in an Art class. If it was in any other class people would not have liked it as much. However, Mr. Green did like it :tickled:

When! Great choice.

Since 90% of my school are rappers, I might have chosen Serenity Painted Death due to it's pseudo-rapped chorus.

well, you guys are taking it a tad too far, for some people linkin park IS the best band, and there'll be no changing that, whether they have heard Opeth or not, see, its just different strokes for different folks.

DemonOfTheFall said:
That's kool man, I would've done the same. I'd sure like to read your essay if you have it, I'm into that sorta shit (yea I know it's creepy)...

I geuss Ill post it when I finish the rough draft, I don't think its very good though (although my teachers easy so Ill get an A anyways) I sorta lie and say theres only three types of concept albums, ones that focus around musical themes, ones that focus around lyrical themes (like Pink Floyds "Animals" where they say all people are dogs, sheeps or pigs) and albums that tell stories. Its close enogh to being true that I can get away with it...