thoughts on new paradise lost album

ott0 said:
My, how I love the internet. A discussion about a PL-album becomes a discussion about alcolholism. And on here the Katatonia-fans will outnumber the PL-fans, so why even bother calling each other "jerkface"..? Good lord... :)

Cause his name is Jerkface :lol:

Well unfortunatly I didn't see ander's review of the album, but I supposed it wasn't good. Yes, I have heard it, I was both curious and cautious about the new album. I think it's not a bad one, but a return to the old style is not exactly correct. Gregor's 'leads' really lack enthusiasm, I can't believe it's the same guy who has played on albums like Shades of God and Icon. I'll have to give it more of a listen...I agree with Ander's decision to delete his original post, it's the most professional thing to do.

Jerkface said:
And concerning that link to the Paradise Lost forum...I love how those idiots think that promo copies are somehow different from the actual album and that Blakkheim should wait for the album to be released to have an opinion. Once in a great while a band's promo release will have early versions of songs compared to the actual album, but it's very rare. The leaked version is identical to what will be on the actual album (except for maybe that tape hiss that's in the background...maybe that was put on promo copies so people who download the album will want to buy it when it comes out to hear the songs without the hiss.)

Bands and Labels are now releasing promo copies with voice-over's, Which I don't believe solves anything on the war against downloading. Promo copies are usually the same entity as the finished product but sometimes they'll sneak an unmastered version, which again solves nothing.

oiad said:
its funny... because in my opinion new paradise lost album resemble katatonia. and for Jerkface : VERSION ON THE NET IS THE PROMO of the album. Compare single "Forever After" from video and this from net.

The video 'forever after,' the single 'forever after' and the final album version all sound different to me.

i like material from promo but in the it is lacking one melody line and sounds crappy. and for rate details like greg's enthusiasm i prefer to wait for whole album.
EOT , regard bye

Why is everyone on the PL forum makin such a big deal outta this? Its not as if he went on their forum and slagged off the album! This is a Katatonia forum and should be allowed say whatever the hell he wants. Also I think it was a very fair opinion of the new album. I heard a downloaded copy off someone i Know and wasnt impressed, but im gonna buy it anyway when it comes out, just to have. Maybe itll grow on me........unlikely

Lord_AgathoN said:
because they are mainly cool and hip 14 year old fat gothic chicks/kids

Actually, I'm a 24, skinny and non-gothic chick :Spin:

Anyway. I'm a PL fan since not too long, and I like most of their records, I've just downloaded the new album and I'm gonna give it a few listenings now, to see what's it like. I'll only say that Paradise Lost shouldn't be so afraid of the promo version, despite not being completely mastered yet, the essence should still be there. And the beta version of Forever After sounded pretty good IMO. :)

Blakkheim said:
clearing things up...

this is katatonia's forum and i'm entitled to say and express anything i want, right here. if i made people upset with my comments, then cry away. nobody forced u to come here and read them. getting upset with someone else's opinion is pityful and its not how things work in this world. also note: i did not post my views on paradise lost's forum or anywhere else, but i see others tried to make my post look like it was a thread posted on paradise lost's own forum... ridicilous! i dont think its a matter of forcing my opinion on other people not do buy it or whatever nonsense i heard - i never said any of that. i just expressed my personal dissapointment of an album from a band i'm a huge fan (isnt this obvious after 12 years?) of at my own forum. take it or leave it. grow up or fukk off.

still i decided the former message will remain deleted in respect to the albums street release date just as my opinion still stands in respect to the promo.

peace.

Most of us here appreciate the fact you care enough to post here
every once in a while. I hope the "few" haven't scared you off.
Everyone else here is grown up and takes your review for exactly what it is.
Your Review.
I like Katatonia and Opeth and I could care less if someone doesn't.
I don't like Swallow The Sun or Withering but there are people who do and I respect the fact that to them, their opinion is the only one that matters.
I like what I like, you like what you like. Why can't it just be left at that?

I really appreciated the fact that Blakkheim wanted to share with us his feelings after having listened to the new Paradise Lost album.

It sounded as a spontaneous reaction and I don't think it's a lack of respect for the band to express your opinion based on a promo while the official album hasn't been released yet. that's what many reviewers do...
Yet Blakkheim deleted that post and that makes me think that sometimes he's too much sensitive about some issues, especially when he's directly involved.

I got into metal mostly thanks to Paradise Lost "Icon" and "Draconian Times", but after "One second" I stopped to follow this band and I don't know if I'll ever buy another PL album...maybe I'll borrow this new one just to listen how it sounds, but I think they are following the same path as Metallica and I doubt they will be able to repeat a masterpiece.

That's the problem of many bands who are still around after 15-20 years and go on trying to repeat their most successful albums unaware (or maybe conscious) of creating uninspired music, that is only a pale shadow of the great works of the past.

I feel lucky I found a band such as Katatonia, they have never disappointed me, they have always managed to reinvent themselves without losing their peculiarity.

I really put a lot of hope in their next album!!!!

just saw anders clearing things up post. I totally agree, I said somethin simialar about it bein a Katatonia forum earlier

ether said:
I really appreciated the fact that Blakkheim wanted to share with us his feelings after having listened to the new Paradise Lost album.
Yeah, me too. What sucks is you just know this is going to stop Anders from commenting on stuff like this again. Fuck, that PL forum is a load of shit. Most of us here have seen enough posts from Anders to know it was just his perspective as a fan and he would never carry an agenda. Typical that some dicks have to come and jump all over him and turn it into something it's not :rolleyes:

I'm sure if Ander's review was really praising of the new album, those idiots at the paradise lost forum would have kept their mouths shut. It's really sad that some people would have to start trouble just because they don't agree with someone else.

yourdeadgroom said:
What sucks is you just know this is going to stop Anders from commenting on stuff like this again. :

I think Anders will continue to say whatever the hell he wants to here......hes not some weakling who is going to be affected too much by this......Anders says what he wants when he wants here....this is his place to do that.....he has every right in the world when he is here....I dont think he would go to the pl forum and give a review of the new PL cd.....he has some tact and respect, but as for HERE on the KATATONIA forum this is his realm.....and he(as well as Fred, Jonas, Daniel, and Mattias) does what he wants here....I think he will continue to say what he wants.......

I also dont think he was bashing PL either...and I dont think we should continue to do so......whats the point.......I dont think we need to say they are sellouts and shit.....Katatonia was (in the beginning) absolutely influenced by PL....and they have contributed to Katatonia by being what they were back then...for that they will always have a certain amount of respect from me.....whether I think they suck now or not.....in fact I have never been any kind of fan of PL.....I have TRIED to like them...and they just never grabbed hold of me.....ramble...ramble...

Reece

forum war is shit (I think the guys on PL forum are upset cos we have such a nice forum here, and because some ppl heard the promo and they didnt)

PL album is OK. Imho its a SOL II and I liked the previous one. Not a big deal but its always good to hear something "new".. At least it has new song titles and lyrics :p