Paradise Lost's Icon vs. Viva Emptiness

Lord_AgathoN said:
Yes definitly. Its hard to believe that you are born in 1971 and not in 1991.

Metallica? THIS is maybe the funniest thing i have read in a year. Metallica never reached a point of such brilliance after their first two or maybe three releases - i mean ICON is considered to be one of the most way-showing cds of the doom metal and also the gothic sector. Sure Metallica was an idol for every metal band at some point....but there simply are no connections. While Lost Paradise is really great but seemed somehow not really right arranged, the next three releases just evolved in such large steps. I did not dislike Draconian Times, but most of the songs are really boring. For me it was clearly a step backwards......and from there on, well, we all know.
Although i disagree with "Depeche Mode Influence"....that just seems randomly picked. I dunno who they are copying......but its not DM.
And VE.......yeah i love VE, its a really great album. But its not a masterpiece..........its worlds away from beeing it (talk about BMD...). And Katatonia has not evolved with each step, i mean Tonights Decision is somewhat lacking of intuitive songs and so on.......some parts really bore me. Its a step backward from Discouraged Ones, and technically their is no evolution between these releases.
Well no offence, at least i hope so......but you are really strange. How can you NOT like Shades of God an Icon? ^^

Born in 1991? Why? Because my taste differs then yours? This just means I've been into metal for a long time. I was lucky enough to be part of the tape trading era, and had copies of Paradise Lost's demos before Lost Paradise came out. At the time Shades of God came out, bands that I loved like Entombed, Boltthrower, My Dying Bride, and others we're in the Death Metal style. Paradise Lost had lost that with Shades of God, and the vocal style really turned me off. They polished their music, turned their backs on Gothic, which the band openly makes fun of now, and went for a more commercial, clean distorted, James Hetfield vocal style band, and it worked for them. They reached a higher, more popular status. Thats what I mean by the Metallica influence. It's obviously there.

And on the later CD's, if you seriously can't hear the OBVIOUS Depeche Mode influence, then there really is no point discussing this band with you, who is clearly a fan of the band. I'm not cutting the band down, and my opinion can't be changed, as your's won't be.

I will say this, Shades of God and Icon, musically are good CD's to me. Maybe a bit less inspired then Gothic, but it's the vocals that hurt these discs for me. Being such a huge fan of Nicks death growl, I was let down. He seemed to find his true voice on Draconion Times, and have gotten better since, but those two early CD's felt really forced, vocally that is, for me. Sort of caught in between what he wanted to do, and what he had the potential to do.

Lord_AgathoN said:
And VE.......yeah i love VE, its a really great album. But its not a masterpiece..........its worlds away from beeing it (talk about BMD...). And Katatonia has not evolved with each step, i mean Tonights Decision is somewhat lacking of intuitive songs and so on.......some parts really bore me. Its a step backward from Discouraged Ones, and technically their is no evolution between these releases.

I had missed this part of your post......and I dissagree wholeheartedly with your statement about Katatonia not evolving between the 2 releases.....they may have not evolved the way YOU think of music evolving...but they certainly did evolve. Thats one thing I really respect about Katatonia...they ALWAYS evolve with everything they have ever done. Technical evolvement is SHIT....I dislike technical bands who can play whatever they want and they are sooo fancy that they forget all about the heart of the music...Tonights Decision is one of the most honest alblums ever (IMHO) and I really appreciate HONESTY in a band.
The style difference between the 2 alblums is huge.... I think saying that Viva is not a masterpiece is your opinion --and not fact....and I think that Tonghts decision had HUGE progress for Jonas and the vocals...and if it bores you ....get depressed and listen to it....see what happens to your attitude towards it then....

PEACE

Well thats a hard task i think....both albums are pretty strong.
But i think id go for Viva,cuzz its a lot smarter and the whole atmosphere it´s really stressed,mechanic and dark overall....
On the other hand,Icon is far more melodic and the guitar work is brilliant.