Paradise Lost's Icon vs. Viva Emptiness

i think these albums have a completely different mood/feel so i think they arnt really comparable. Its fine if you think ones better than the other but they are so different so why compare?

jptk said:
i think these albums have a completely different mood/feel so i think they arnt really comparable. Its fine if you think ones better than the other but they are so different so why compare?

Why compare? So I can call people cunts, you cunt.

The Scourge said:
Did you read what I initially had to say at the top of this thread?

I did and i see what you mean about track names and the last track, I just dont think they are all that similar, thats all

@jinn, I am no cunt, bitch face! :loco:

OK, i'll jump in here, and from the looks of this thread, i'mabout to be flamed. My vote goes to VE. I for one feel Icon is a weak CD. I got hooked on "Lost Paradise" and was stunned by the huge step forward, and the importance of "Gothic", but "Shades of God" and "Icon" were two CD's that felt forced to me. It sounding like a band trying to make the step even further, and all they seemed to do was show their Metallica influence. Now, "Draconian Times" returned my faith in the band, and then their Depeche Mode influence kicks in after that. The band has tried to re-invent themselves too many times, and I'm just not sure how to take them anymore. Even now, they claim to be heavier again, so they grow their hair back. I don't know...

Anyway, back on topic, Viva Emptiness, in my opinion, has what Icon doesn't, and that's hook, and lasting appeal. VE, I look forward to the next track, because I know each song has something special to listen to, where as Katatonia has evolved over several CD's, they continue to get better and better, Paradise Lost's Icon has very little improvement over Shades of God, and just falls short of "great". It's good at best.

OK, bring it on. haha

Novembers Paul said:
OK, i'll jump in here, and from the looks of this thread, i'mabout to be flamed.

Yes definitly. Its hard to believe that you are born in 1971 and not in 1991.

Novembers Paul said:
My vote goes to VE. I for one feel Icon is a weak CD. I got hooked on "Lost Paradise" and was stunned by the huge step forward, and the importance of "Gothic", but "Shades of God" and "Icon" were two CD's that felt forced to me. It sounding like a band trying to make the step even further, and all they seemed to do was show their Metallica influence.

Metallica? THIS is maybe the funniest thing i have read in a year. Metallica never reached a point of such brilliance after their first two or maybe three releases - i mean ICON is considered to be one of the most way-showing cds of the doom metal and also the gothic sector. Sure Metallica was an idol for every metal band at some point....but there simply are no connections. While Lost Paradise is really great but seemed somehow not really right arranged, the next three releases just evolved in such large steps. I did not dislike Draconian Times, but most of the songs are really boring. For me it was clearly a step backwards......and from there on, well, we all know.
Although i disagree with "Depeche Mode Influence"....that just seems randomly picked. I dunno who they are copying......but its not DM.
And VE.......yeah i love VE, its a really great album. But its not a masterpiece..........its worlds away from beeing it (talk about BMD...). And Katatonia has not evolved with each step, i mean Tonights Decision is somewhat lacking of intuitive songs and so on.......some parts really bore me. Its a step backward from Discouraged Ones, and technically their is no evolution between these releases.
Well no offence, at least i hope so......but you are really strange. How can you NOT like Shades of God an Icon? ^^

@Jinn
It sucks, and you do it everytime. When you answer two posts, could you not just make one post?

Lord_AgathoN said:
@Jinn
It sucks, and you do it everytime. When you answer two posts, could you not just make one post?

...and lose my 'asshole' status in these two forums?

Unspeakable!

Nah, I'll try and keep my 'double posts' down to a minimum. :)

Novembers Paul said:
OK, i'll jump in here, and from the looks of this thread, i'mabout to be flamed. My vote goes to VE. I for one feel Icon is a weak CD. I got hooked on "Lost Paradise" and was stunned by the huge step forward, and the importance of "Gothic", but "Shades of God" and "Icon" were two CD's that felt forced to me. It sounding like a band trying to make the step even further, and all they seemed to do was show their Metallica influence. Now, "Draconian Times" returned my faith in the band, and then their Depeche Mode influence kicks in after that. The band has tried to re-invent themselves too many times, and I'm just not sure how to take them anymore. Even now, they claim to be heavier again, so they grow their hair back. I don't know...

Anyway, back on topic, Viva Emptiness, in my opinion, has what Icon doesn't, and that's hook, and lasting appeal. VE, I look forward to the next track, because I know each song has something special to listen to, where as Katatonia has evolved over several CD's, they continue to get better and better, Paradise Lost's Icon has very little improvement over Shades of God, and just falls short of "great". It's good at best.

OK, bring it on. haha

>>>>>

I AGREE

The Great Katatonic said:
It's not fair!I only get called a git,not a cunt or poop head!Hurray for everyone who voted for Katatonia!

gay-out.jpg