Thrash metal - anyone?

leaked a couple days ago, NOT THAT I OR ANYONE ON THIS SITE WOULD EVER PIRATE IT.
I think it's actually better than Enemy of God. More old school, the melodies are less Gothenburg-y. Sweet album overall.

No, but I listen to myself contradicting WeAreInFlames.

I've heard of some I think

If somebody would like to give me an example of "brutal thrash" I'll happily tell you that it's actually just thrash, deathrash, or blackthrash. If you want, I won't call you an idiot while I do it.

If somebody would like to give me an example of "brutal thrash" I'll happily tell you that it's actually just thrash, deathrash, or blackthrash. If you want, I won't call you an idiot while I do it.

Here you go;

Slayer's Reign in Blood is one of the best examples of brutal thrash. Although I don't really like it.

Dark Angel's Darkness Descends is raw, not catchy, but memoryable. It's raw thrash. Not black/thrash or death/thrash.

Kreator's Pleasure to Kill and Morbid Saint's Spectrums of Death are brutal thrash, but could be regarded as thrash/death.

I imagine this being as bad as the "melodeath and melodic death metal are different" concept he has.

Short new Kreator album review, enjoy!

I actually was scared to listen to Kreator's new album. I thought that it was another album full of gothenburg melodies. Luckily this album isn't as gothenburg-orientated as their latest two albums out.

Most tracks can be regarded as either;

1; Thrash meets melody stuff. Songs like Hordes of Chaos, Warcurse and Demon Prinse are the best examples of this.

2; Thrash meets gothenburg. Amok Run for example, has a poor, soft intro, similar to Voices of the Dead. The fast part doesn't sound great either. The slower part at the end is quite catchy and moving, though. Destroy what Destroys You is pretty much a half thrash/Gothenburg song. To the after burn is a huge disaster. it's pretty much Trivium worship, just hear the chorus.

Overall this album is decent, most songs should have been more violent like Hordes of Chaos, Warcurse and Demon Prince (which reminds me of the song ''Enemy of God''). Those three songs are definitely the best songs on the album. The rest isn't too interesting

Metalkicksass is being stupid about this, don't listen to him. Doesn't sound remotely like Trivium. The album is pure speed-oriented old-school thrash with some sweet raw guitar melodies. Sounds like Coma of Souls with a little melody.

Slayer's Reign in Blood is one of the best examples of brutal thrash. Although I don't really like it.
I'll respond to this one since you tacitly admitted that the other two are in fact not brutal thrash.
Actually, this is just thrash. There's nothing "brutal" about it. The guitars aren't heavily downtuned, the drum is just typical thrash drumming, etc. It's really dark and violent, but it's not "brutal."

Brutality in metal is generally created through a mix of speed, abrupt tempo changes, intense low end, dissonance, and abrasiveness. Thrash metal riffs already routinely utilize the lowest possible notes (in standard tuning) and play at incredible speed. Drumming already involves incredibly fast snare beats (this being the best way to produce abrasive sounds). To make it "more brutal" you'd have to downtune the guitars, start trem-picking instead of palm muting (producing a more dissonant sound) and use blastbeats. Vocals would have to be growls or screams instead of shouts.
Wait a tick, that'd be death metal, wouldn't it?

Metalkicksass is being stupid about this, don't listen to him. Doesn't sound remotely like Trivium. The album is pure speed-oriented old-school thrash with some sweet raw guitar melodies. Sounds like Coma of Souls with a little melody.

I'll respond to this one since you tacitly admitted that the other two are in fact not brutal thrash.
Actually, this is just thrash. There's nothing "brutal" about it. The guitars aren't heavily downtuned, the drum is just typical thrash drumming, etc. It's really dark and violent, but it's not "brutal."

Brutality in metal is generally created through a mix of speed, abrupt tempo changes, intense low end, dissonance, and abrasiveness. Thrash metal riffs already routinely utilize the lowest possible notes (in standard tuning) and play at incredible speed. Drumming already involves incredibly fast snare beats (this being the best way to produce abrasive sounds). To make it "more brutal" you'd have to downtune the guitars, start trem-picking instead of palm muting (producing a more dissonant sound) and use blastbeats. Vocals would have to be growls or screams instead of shouts.
Wait a tick, that'd be death metal, wouldn't it?

Kreator's new album still has some Gothenburg influences, but is definitely their heaviest and best since Coma of Souls. That chorus of After the burn still reminds me of Trivium to be honest. :erk: :zombie:

About the whole brutal thrash thing; I don't know how to explain it. Anyway, take Kreator's Pleasure to Kill for example. It has screamed vocals, would you call it death metal?

To The After Born, he only screams it about a dozen times.
Tbh I don't listen to enough trivium to make the connection, but my main problem with them is their vocalist, who sucks so fucking much it's unbelievable. Obviously Mille Petrozza is a pretty badass thrash vocalist, even after about 25 years.
I find it really funny that people are complaining about Gothenburg influences on an In Flames forum. Anyone else spotting a hint of irony there?

And NO YOU OBSTINANT DUMB FUCK. It's not like a single element of death metal makes you death metal.

To The After Born, he only screams it about a dozen times.
Tbh I don't listen to enough trivium to make the connection, but my main problem with them is their vocalist, who sucks so fucking much it's unbelievable. Obviously Mille Petrozza is a pretty badass thrash vocalist, even after about 25 years.
I find it really funny that people are complaining about Gothenburg influences on an In Flames forum. Anyone else spotting a hint of irony there?

And NO YOU OBSTINANT DUMB FUCK. It's not like a single element of death metal makes you death metal.
That's what i'm asking you.

If this forum was an Testament forum, i'd still complain about the Gothenburg influences. It's hasn't got anything to do with it. Mille's a good vocalist, agreed.

My question is, you clearly enjoy the gothenburg scene so why the fuck do you have an issue with Gothenburg influences?

Melodic extreme metal.
I'd love to call them not true metal but they undeniably are. Really, my problem with them revolves around a few key points:
1. Their music is mostly boring, repetitive crap.
2. Their fans are collectively a massive assembly of retards, scene kids, and overall faggots.
3. They just don't fucking take shit seriously.
4. When I endured them live on Gigantour the singer kept posing for the cameras and the large group of squealing fangirls who'd elbowed their way to the front (and left after Bodom's set). I just found this immensely gay.