Thrash metal - anyone?

metalkicksass

Oct 25, 2007
the netherlands
Is it just me, or is almost everybody here into ALOT melodic death metal? so i'm wondering, are you people into thrash metal? I personally like:

1 brutal stuff with chaotical riffs, harsh vocals, mostly violent lyrics, aslong it's catchy.

2; catchy, melodic, or anything with RIFFS. No matter the vocals are harsh or yelled, if there's something that I personally like about thrash metal, than it's the riffs.

Recommendations;

Anthrax - Fistful of metal

Catchy, fun, PARTY MUSIC! Seriously; it has catchy guitar riffs, clean vocals, some decent solo's and is overall good happy music, a must have for (metal) parties! :p

Dark angel - darkness descends

It's catchy, has killer riffs, yelled but also some kind of growled vocals, very fun and awesome choruses.

Destruction - Eternal devastation

Yelled vocals, AWESOME RIFFS!

Kreator - Pleasure to kill

Cool brutal thrash metal, growled/screamed vocals, dumb but sometimes decent lyrics.

Slayer - Show no mercy

Very cool NWOBHM/thrash metal combination, catchy choruses and awesome vocals (Something Reign in blood has not.)

People who like thrash + melodic death metal should try the absence, but anyhow.

I like all the typical thrash bands, but weirdly enough probably my favorite thrash album is Kreator - Enemy of God. It's their latest and if there was such a genre it would be melodic thrash metal, yet it's also very heavy. Great stuff.

Anyhow, yeah, Death Angel, Dark Angel, Slayer, Testament, Sodom, Kreator, Sepultura...I used to listen to this stuff more than I do now, but I'll still give any of these a spin every once in a while.

I also like more modern sounding thrash and deathrash. Dew-Scented etc. Blackthrash is also a source of pleasure to me.

Thrash is my favourite genre of metal.

To anybody that cares, I highly recommend Living Sacrifice, with attention to their earliest work. Get their first four albums, they're amazing.

Also, I know I'm going to cop shit for this, but I love Roots by Sepultura. Not as much as their other albums with Max, but damn that's a fine album. Dante XXI was also amazing; best album with Derrek.

My all time favorite thrash album would be The Legacy by Testament. Megadeth's RIP is usually put in that genre, but I don't really consider that thrash...one of metal's best, but not thrash. I'll have to check out that Kreator -Enemy of God

My all time favorite thrash album would be The Legacy by Testament. Megadeth's RIP is usually put in that genre, but I don't really consider that thrash...one of metal's best, but not thrash. I'll have to check out that Kreator -Enemy of God

The legacy is good, however it hasn't got alot special to offer. Sounds like your typical old school thrash metal album in my ears. Megadeth's RIP is definitely thrash - I myself don't love that album, but it is thrash, like it or not.

About Enemy of god; it's good, but quite bad at times. The self titled song is very cool, it's fast, violent and I love the melodic ending. Impossible brutality is another quite good song, it's more of a mid-paced song, but quite enjoyable, again the ending is great. The biggest flaws on that album are probably the lack of speed, and the melodic death metal influences (Listen to Voices of the dead, sounds awfull to me, though the intro is decent.)

Now listening to Demolition Hammer's Epidemic of violent. Probably the heaviest thrash metal record i've ever heard.

pleasure to kill and violent revolution are kreators best albums

cant wait for the new album, sounds great

tbh voices of the dead is fantastic. best song on there. Murder Fantasies is also great, as are Enemy Of God, Impossible Brutality, and Suicide Terrorist.
Can't wait for Hordes Of Chaos. The last two have been in the same style so there's no reason to expect anything other than melodic thrashing goodness.

tbh voices of the dead is fantastic. best song on there. Murder Fantasies is also great, as are Enemy Of God, Impossible Brutality, and Suicide Terrorist.
Can't wait for Hordes Of Chaos. The last two have been in the same style so there's no reason to expect anything other than melodic thrashing goodness.

Voices of the dead sounds like an melodic death metal song to me (atleast guitar wise, there's no growled vocals). Which annoys the shit out of me, I personally don't think that melodic death metal and thrash goes well togetether. I hope ''Hordes of chaos'' would be alot faster.

pleasure to kill and violent revolution are kreators best albums

cant wait for the new album, sounds great

Violent revolution was bad in my opinion. Recoquering the throne was a cool song though. Too much mid-paced stuff. Pleasure to kill is violent, agressive and awesome.

Metallica
Megadeth
Slayer
Testament
Anthrax
Kreator
Sepultura
Sadus
Suicidal Tendencies
Exodus
Municipal Waste
Overkill
Early Death(Yes, Death Metal but it's basically thrash with growls.)(Later death is better but not thrash really)

That's basically the only thrash you need.

I never got into Destruction, Vader and the more heavy bands. I need to check out Possesed

Voices of the dead sounds like an melodic death metal song to me (atleast guitar wise, there's no growled vocals). Which annoys the shit out of me, I personally don't think that melodic death metal and thrash goes well togetether. I hope ''Hordes of chaos'' would be alot faster.
By "a lot faster" do you mean absurdly fast? Stuff like Murder Fantasies gets going at a pretty decent clip. And I'm not really a fan of pointless speed. I prefer headbanging riffs generally. Speed suits power metal better.

Metallica
Megadeth
Slayer
Testament
Anthrax
Kreator
Sepultura
Sadus
Suicidal Tendencies
Exodus
Municipal Waste
Overkill
Early Death(Yes, Death Metal but it's basically thrash with growls.)(Later death is better but not thrash really)

That's basically the only thrash you need.

I never got into Destruction, Vader and the more heavy bands. I need to check out Possesed

Death, in general has nothing to do with thrash. Possessed could be regarded as thrash metal with growls (although some regard them as death metal, personally i call them thrash/death metal.)

By "a lot faster" do you mean absurdly fast? Stuff like Murder Fantasies gets going at a pretty decent clip. And I'm not really a fan of pointless speed. I prefer headbanging riffs generally. Speed suits power metal better.

Thrash without speed is boring in my opinion, not everything that's fast is good though, Reign in blood isn't that great in my opinion.

Death, in general has nothing to do with thrash.
Wrongo.
Also, there's this crazy genre called deathrash. It's in between death and thrash. Stuff like Demigod.

Thrash without speed is boring in my opinion, not everything that's fast is good though, Reign in blood isn't that great in my opinion.
Wow...that was impressive, but I think you could fail harder if you really wanted.

i second that

Wrongo.
Also, there's this crazy genre called deathrash. It's in between death and thrash. Stuff like Demigod.

I ment the band Death, not the genre death metal. Yes i know about thrash/death bands, stuff like Possessed, Vulcano, ect.

Wow...that was impressive, but I think you could fail harder if you really wanted.

I ment the band Death, not the genre death metal. Yes i know about thrash/death bands, stuff like Possessed, Vulcano, ect.
How? I don't mind mid paced thrash at times, but an album FULL OF mid paced thrash would be boring in my opinion.

Death were originally thrash, all their influences are thrash, and their aesthetic was steeped in thrash. That said, they became death metal, but it's not like there's a clear line and no association. It's absurd to say they had nothing to do with thrash.

As for mid-paced thrash, almost by definition there's no such thing. But there's fast like Master of Puppets and there's fast like some ridiculous 300bpm stuff. And there's nothing mid-tempo on enemy of god. It's all "fast" compared to mainstream music or even other metal music; everything's well over 120bpm, probably more like 180.

Also, how'd you manage to misquote me as saying what you said in the post that you said that? That's just fucking weird.

Death were originally thrash, all their influences are thrash, and their aesthetic was steeped in thrash. That said, they became death metal, but it's not like there's a clear line and no association. It's absurd to say they had nothing to do with thrash.

As for mid-paced thrash, almost by definition there's no such thing. But there's fast like Master of Puppets and there's fast like some ridiculous 300bpm stuff. And there's nothing mid-tempo on enemy of god. It's all "fast" compared to mainstream music or even other metal music; everything's well over 120bpm, probably more like 180.

Also, how'd you manage to misquote me as saying what you said in the post that you said that? That's just fucking weird.

Ehm, well Ok. Death has token influences by thrash, but they definitely weren't thrash/death, they were death metal. And in my opinion the first (probably along with Master) to change the whole thrash sound into pure death metal. Thrash/death = Vulcano, Thanatos, Possessed, Kreator (early), Celtic frost(early), ect.

About the thrash metal discussion; I like everything that's catchy and/or fast. I mean slower thrash can be catchy too, but I prefer fast, non catchy stuff(Like Darkness descends by Dark angel, awesome imo!) over catchy, slower stuff. (Ride the lightning by Metallica, for example.)

About the misquote; No idea :p