Through the Looking Glass

Anonymous

L'Étranger
Nov 9, 2005
New-Brunswick, Canada
This is an incredible song, but I would like to know about the lyrics. Is it based on a book or something like V or The Odyssey? If so please tell me because this song sparked my curiosity and I'm dying to know more about it.

Yes, it is about a book, but by no means is it anything like The Odyssey. The book that the song is about is called "Through the Looking Glass". If it doesn't sound familiar, it was, from what I've heard, taken by Disney and made into a notoriously trippy movie, called "ALICE IN WONDERLAND!!!!"

In short, Through the Looking Glass is about Alice in Wonderland.

Somehow, I already knew that. But i wasn't ready to accept that Sym X made a song about alice in wonderland...... Which is a shame really, since i vowed never to watch that movie a few years ago. I might as well read the book then.

I still really want to see it...... baked off my ass..... Then again when I'm not high, so I can say "What the fuck was I laughing at?"...... then again when I'm high again, so I can say "Oh yeah."

It is written around Alice in Wonderland. But my wife and I think it has alternate meanings written into the song, maybe intensely personal (only Romeo could tell us). Overall, though. it relates to approaching something head on through all the illusion surrounding the circumstances of it all, then after awhile, suddenly realizing the deception and lies which create that illusion. It's a head trip, for sure. I love this song, we saw them perform it live years ago, and it was amazing.

Disney distorts reality.
Through the Looking Glass, and What Alice Found There is the the sequel to Alice's Adventures In Wonderland, both written by Lewis Carrol. In 1871, I think, 80 years or so before the movie?

The book is really incredible, many amazing literary techniques and original as fuck. Forget about Disney, god!

Amen to that! We should all get together and take Mickey Mouse and make it into an action-packed aventure, full of stuff from The Lord of the Rings! Then BG can make a concept album about it called "Nightfall in Disneyland." That'll show 'em...... no it won't.

I have to add this to my list of "Stupidest Posts Ever".

Yeah it was a book (I don't know the author) and disney took it and designed this movie for children...

The song is sorta based off of Alice and Wonderland...But the alice and wonderland most people know aint the same thing as the true alice and wonderland which is rather messed up in a non kiddies way! The whole idea of the Mad Hatter;was based off of real history. During history there was a time where the french and other peeps as well where making huge hats out of the beaver and shit, but they where using some sort of chemical which made the guys get really sick (Crazy if you must) This is how the Mad Hatter came to be... Their is only 2 parts in 'Through the looking Glass' that are sorta directly related to the disney movie, being "Run, Run, RUn Alice Run" & " I'm Not Afraid " (Or on the live version "She said sh'es not afraid") Otherwise its based more so on the book which as stated came out many years before the movie! And still I think there is other meaning behind it but its hard for us to know, its one of my favorite songs :)

Xymphony said:
Disney has ruined such excellent stories many times.

I'm fond of pointing out how they've raped every culture in existence--Egypt, Greece, Africa, America, China, they've made a mockery of them all. We had to fucking watch Disney's version of Hercules in school once. HOW DARE THEY, is all I can say.

So did I. It was 2 things:
1. An effective way to kill a day.
2. Funny, to watch how horribly they raped the original story.

ptah knemu said:
Amen to that! We should all get together and take Mickey Mouse and make it into an action-packed aventure, full of stuff from The Lord of the Rings! Then BG can make a concept album about it called "Nightfall in Disneyland." That'll show 'em...... no it won't.

I have to add this to my list of "Stupidest Posts Ever".

That's what we should do!!!

Um, sorry but Disney's adaptation of Alice in Wonderland is wicked. I'm a big fan of the books. If you have read them yourself then you will know how crazy they are and how good animation is at representing the nonsense world Lewis Carrol portrays. Far from ruining it, they manage to keep a supprising amount of the aubsurdity, humour, and sardonic satire that you get in the original novels, and then go on to bring it to life in a pretty cool way. Of all the Disney films, I think it's about the only one that parents and children can both sit through and be equally entertained.

As for them using content from both books, (and making up some stuff, and indeed ommiting certain parts) well of course they are going to use both "Alice in Wonderland" and "Alice Through The Looking Glass", if they didn't do that then you would loose a lot of great characters. Keeping "Alice in Wonderland" as the title is sure a whole lot better than saying "Alice-in-wonderland-and-through-the-looking-glass", or even worse making up a whole new name like "The Alice Chronicals" or somthing. It's not like they don't state clearly that the film is based off both books in the credits. It's true that they don't stick completely to the books, but the books are chaotic (and also contain references to 19th centuary personalities and so are lost on a modern audiance). I think its pretty impressive that they were able to stay as true to the books as they did, the story certainly doesn't lend itself to a film, and portraying the disorder and chaos of the books in a way that doesn't completely baffle the audiance is an achievement in itself!

Getting "baked" and watching it on the other hand is a perfect way to butcher and trivialise it. Saying it's only good for getting stoned to is pathetic.

Generally speaking Books > Movies and Alice in Wonderland isn't an exception. You will get a much richer experience from the book, but the film is still cool. I don't think it matters on the order, but you will be less likely to overlook something in the film after you've read the book.
I'm a fan of both. The song is pretty cool too :D It makes more sense if you read the books.

I have a philosophy that you should always do whichever is worse first, because that way, when you do the first thing, you'll say "Wow. This was awsome!" So when you get to the second, you say" Holy shit!! This is evn better than I thought!" Then you go back to the first and either laugh at mistakes or look for mistakes. Or just enjoy the thing as a whole. I first developed it while listening between Metallica's Four Horsemen and Megadeth's Mechanix. The same exact song with different lyrics.