Time for a change Mr. V?

ErikSL

groove junkie
Feb 11, 2006
I was just thinking. Mr. V always seems to move forward with his music, exploring new ideas, and constantly evolving....like most of us really.

And he mentioned on these boards one time, in reference to having female vocals on some of his tracks, that he stopped doing that particular thing because it became stale and that he had evolved from that era.

So after all these years, why is he still doing grim vocals? I know its good to have a mixture of different elements, but I think it seems repetitive, bland, and too predictable at times to add the harsh growls. I think his music is at its best with clean, melodic vocal parts. Anyone else wonder about this?

I like his harsh vocals in Borknagar, because they fit with the rest of the music. But in Vintersorg...at times it doesn't sound right. I forgot to mention that I do really like when he layers the harsh with the clean vocals simaltaneously.

Don't be me wrong, Origin is my favorite Borky album (just above Archaic Course), but it would be a shame to lose his growl. Empiricism would not have been as good without it; I can't imagine listening to Gods of my world without the harsh vocals.

I asked myself the same thing ance but I came to the conclusion that grim vocals are perfect to express passion! Not a really deep thought, though, but I'm happy with it ^^
What I'd like to hear are growls/screams on a acoustic only track. I think that could be awesome!

I love his clean vocals on Havayoth and Waterclime, but he should stick with the clean/grim combination as used on all Vintersorg albums.

I love his clean vocals on Havayoth and Waterclime, but he should stick with the clean/grim combination as used on all Vintersorg albums.

Agreed. I must say that the grim and clean vocals has to be a personal expression for Vintersorg itself. Besides, some V tracks only have clean vocals on them like A Microscopical Macrocosm and Straolar for instance.:)

Grim with clean vocals is Vintersorg’s identity.
I like his grim vocals. I just think that sometimes they are at the wrong place/time at the song. But that’s my problem. I’m not obligated to like every Vintersorg’s song. There are, actually, some songs from “Visions from the Spiral Generator” that I only like because of the lyrics.

For VIntersorg to stop using the growls would be lame and dissapointing, I think its you Mr ErikrSl thats needs to change.

typical to hear that on these forums.

I dont see how it would be lame, maybe disappointing to some people that cant except change.

Stupid idea. Why would Vintersorg need to change something like that? He can explore other types of music via his many projects. Vintersorg (band) has always been evolving tho anyway, they haven't taken out growls but so what.:D To take out a huge element like that out would be a bad move. Just listen to Waterclime or something.:D

Waterclime is a different style of music though. I like the aggression of Vintersorg, but I think the growls are growing stale is all i'm saying. Its not a stupid idea, it could open up lots of possibilities for the musical arrangements and vocal melodies in place of the growls. You have to think outside the box. Also it would make the music more accessible to people who dont understand the idea of grim vocals, thus it would allow Vintersorg's amazing music to reach more people. That is something I've heard Mr. V say he doesn't really want but I think it would be good. Like I said these are just my thoughts and opinions anyway, I still support the band entirely but I think they need to do some more exploring within the musical realm.

And Naglfar, no one is fighting over anything...at least i'm not. Just simple fan discussion.

I agree with you to a certain degree. Sure, clean vocals are nice - I like them as well! The stuff in Otyg is the best!
However, Mr.V cannot expect to do the same shit over and over again, it'd get very boring. That's why Solens Rötter really suprised me so much, it was different in so many ways and just amazing.
I like the stuff now, it's nice - you have the best of both worlds, soft and nice, fast and grim!