Tips for the future

Symphony

PQ member
Jan 8, 2002
Southampton, UK
www.power-quest.co.uk
Hey guys

I was wondering......who are the bands (or could be just musicians) who you think will be the next known players in the melodic/power metal scene?

Any from the UK? Europe? USA? Further afield?????

(Of course......PQ are excluded from this :) )

I'm curious about this as well, because over the past couple of years I've fallen into the 'old power metal is best and nothing new is grabbing my attention' rut and other than Pathfinder it's becoming quite hard to find good new power metal to enjoy :(

Yeah I was going to mention Pathfinder as well I think they're pretty awesome but they're still kind of new I guess. Other than that I'm not really sure...

I think this band from Italy has a bright future. They have released one album this year (The Wandering Notes) and will probably take 2 years to make the second one if they sign a contract with a bigger label like AFM, Napalm or Massacre who are fair to power metal bands.

Note: Fabio Lione found them and makes a guest appearance on Wandering Notes. Highly recommended album! It's good damn epic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kingface, Moonlight Shadow was the theme song for one of the recurring Fast Show sketches. YouTube "Dave Angel" if you want to take a look, however I really don't think the show has aged well so be prepared!

Didn't really like the Dragonf... sorry, Pathfinder, cover apart from the classical interlude. They should have worked the melody a bit more in my humble opinion.

Kingface, Moonlight Shadow was the theme song for one of the recurring Fast Show sketches. YouTube "Dave Angel" if you want to take a look, however I really don't think the show has aged well so be prepared!

Didn't really like the Dragonf... sorry, Pathfinder, cover apart from the classical interlude. They should have worked the melody a bit more in my humble opinion.

In fairness they only really remind me of Those Who Shall Not Be Named on the opening non-orchestral track which might put some off, the rest is glorious.

+1 with the above post. It's taking a few listens for all of the songs to sink in but so far the first five or six tracks are incredible, I really dig All the Mornings of the World and Pathway to the Moon.

Oh my God, how could I forget?! Haha, brings me back seeing it again!

In fairness they only really remind me of Those Who Shall Not Be Named on the opening non-orchestral track which might put some off, the rest is glorious.
Nothing of that song reminded me of DRAGONFORCE
:p:D

It was way too gay and happy even for them, it reminded me more of Rhapsody/Fairyland to be fair.

As for bands/musicians on the rise, hmm, I'm in the same state as Michael on this, most new stuff isn't grabbing my attention too much but there are some shining stars I've come across.

One guy on the rise I see is Olof Mörck from Sweden of Dragonland/Nightrage/Amaranthe/The Returning, very talented musician all around and one hell of a nice guy. :)

This guy named Steve Williams is also on the up and up. ;) (you said Power Quest but didn't say we couldn't name individual members.. hehe)

By the way... whatever happened to Olaf Hayer? I believe that's his name. The guy who sang on Luca Turilli's famous Black Dragon song. He had a spectacular voice on that track; can't say I remember much of the rest of Turilli's solo work (though I've heard all three Turilli albums...) but I really love that song.

Nothing of that song reminded me of Parcelforce:p:D

It was way too gay and happy even for them, it reminded me more of Rhapsody/Fairyland to be fair.

Heavy effect-and-pinch-harmonic-laden dual shredding did it for me. Hearing the Rhapsody similarities somewhat. Gay or "too happy" ಠ_ಠ works just fine. Nothing wrong with either.

Olaf, as mentioned many a time on here, is a personal fave of mine and I'd love him to make a re-appearance. Hell I just want Dionysus back they were kings. Another Luca Turilli album (I think a 4th was hinted) would also be delicious especially more in the vein of Prophet of the Last Eclipse. He did just sing on a Magic Kingdom release which I've tried to recommend on here because it is good stuff - Symphony of War.

Oh, Magic Kingdom is still around, eh? I heard one album by them a looong time ago but nothing stuck - glad to hear they're still going though.

I thought Magic Kingdom did split up and Iron Mask is Dushan's recent project he will focus on now.