to all the english mother tongues of this forum

Hahaha, you are suck really touched my soul :lol:

Yeah I agree, I guess it's our Latin heritage.
In our minds we tend to think and write down sentences in a very different way ;)

That, and the fact that you guys, same as the Spanish, have EVERYTHING at the cinema and TV dubbed to your language, TV ads with foreign names simply read it pronounced with your own language's rules instead of using the original pronunciation, so your contact with English and other languages in your culture is minimal, thus limiting in a huge way your ability to make sentences and pronounce in a correct way. I see this with the Spanish all the time, comparing it with the Latin Americans, who have cinemas 80% in English with subtitles (only children's movies are dubbed, and even those normally have two showings, one dubbed and one subbed) and even some TV channels with shows all in English. Even if they never study English, they have a much better grasp of the structure and pronunciation, both of which are very different from the Latin languages in many ways.

What about people who call a guitar's (vibrato/floating) bridge a "tremolo bar"? As tremolo actually means repeat or variation in amplitude not pitch. I think this is a phenomenon mainly in English speaking countries and probably comes from old Fender amps where a vibrato effect was incorrectly called tremolo and vice versa.

Has anyone noticed on the main page, that the title of this thread looks like this?

To all the english mother...........

just like when i was watching them mrT instructional videos for mothers day, "when u put down one mother, u put down all the mothers in the world..." my mind cant see the word mother without adding fucker at the end

Yeah... in my experience with foreigners speaking English, the Italians tend to be the worst with the Dutch in close second.

You mean... worst than the French ? :lol: I honestly think the Dutch speak english way better than we do, at least the pilot ones. We are terrible at english, cause you absolutely don't need english in France unless you search for it yourself

You mean... worst than the French ? :lol: I honestly think the Dutch speak english way better than we do, at least the pilot ones. We are terrible at english, cause you absolutely don't need english in France unless you search for it yourself

I don't know dude, most French dudes I've talked to both in person and in writing have shown a pretty good level, and handle the pronunciation pretty well too

I get along with shortenings but very often lately, I get shocked, almost offended at posts on FB by adult native speakers who can't spell 4 words right in a row. Such barbarities aren't that frequent here or on forums as people have to be motivated to read first, which means they have read in the past, then they have to actually read first to answer the topics, etc.

Go fucking read comics at least or something if you have those kind of problems with language. Simple. No need for academics, studies... just read.

That said, I can "easily" spot a non-native english/spanish speaker. Not a bad thing, the structures use to be slightly different. Many people see forums like this a waste of time but I always say I'm learning double: music (or whatever) and english (apart from knowing other cultures, etc.)

I don't remember the exact numbers, but English just has significantly more words and ways to say things than most other languages.

i can't say for every other language, but as a finn i find english horribly constraining in terms of ways to express yourself. for one english word with a few synonyms there's a finnish word with twice or thrice as many.

finnish is a perfect example of a language butchered by its users, though, so what's happening to the english language now might be a good thing in the long run for ways to express. spoken finnish cuts many, many words down in length and complexity because the written language is honestly pretty clumsy and nobody wants to actually speak like that, but that aside, we come up with a lot of spoken synonyms for a lot of things - i can think of at least 10 names for a cigarette, for example :lol: - and that, in my opinion, makes finnish a very expressive spoken language in comparison to many others.

as for the topic itself, i don't think the theory of other-than-native english speakers spot the mistakes more easily because they've studied it holds water; i've learned my english almost completely through video games, american movies and the internet, and i've never made the effort to study the structure formally. it has simply become automatic in my head through exposure. all this considered, it's an eyesore for me to see mistakes in the simplest matters of the english language. native speakers speak it, write it and think it every day and still don't seem to notice the most basic mistakes.

i'm mostly talking about mistakes that create something extraneous, like an apostrophe, incorrect use of "you're" and other things similar. cutting things short doesn't really bother me because i'm guilty of that myself, by rarely using capital letters.

I have to say, that's pretty fucking cool! I eventually wanna master a language enough that I can think in it (probably German)

marcus, if you want to learn german i warmly recommend buying some games from there and playing them (the german are notorious for dubbing most things in their own language) :D

i had a couple of c&c games in german that gave me a nice push during my 9 years of learning german. of course, the people in it were turned into robots because of the germans' inexplicable allergy to any fantasy violence towards humans. i still remember what it sounded like to run over someone in the german version of c&c; there was this loud-ass noise that sounded like someone kicking a tin can.

i've lost most of my german through disuse though, which is a real shame, thinking about it now.

as for the topic itself, i don't think the theory of other-than-native english speakers spot the mistakes more easily because they've studied it holds water;

It's not that we don't notice them, it's just that unless the person in question has failed to properly articulate themselves then it doesn't matter.

I also don't agree that English doesn't have many synonyms, you gave cigarettes as an example. I counted 15 on a quick Wiktionary search.
A language that is primarily drawn from Germanic, Scandinavian and French languages is bound to have a large vocabulary.

Hehe french people from France.. "I whante tou gau tou ZE McDaunaldzzzz"

I just don't get how they use z everytime there's an H. Heather becomes Heyzer. The Ze, this and that Ziss Zass.
Still, they use 3-4 times more english words than us in Qc. :/ It's probably a trend or something.

Simply because the "th" sounds doesn't exist, nor the principle of having the tongue in between the teeth. the "z" sound is the closest technically speaking, so that's what people do. Also, in the beginning, we don't get it, because our ears are not trained to pick the difference. Just as much as no one gets the three or four different "x/ch/sh/shw" sounds in chinese, while after a little while it makes sense

You're also from Quebec, so you pretty much live right from the beginning in the middle of english and american/canadian accents, so it's easy for you to pronounce english right away the correct way.

To me Quebec is so strange when it comes to French. Supposedly they have a french that is closer to previous centuries one (just like americans have kept a little more of original english, some say) but at the same time, on internet, I read way more horrible french from people there, completely mixing french and english sentences, or using english expressions with literal translation in french which sounds weird cause grammatically incorrect. I'm not even talking about the typical french expressions themselves (which are such a laugh for us because they sound so funny :lol:) because these are cultural differences, but man the facebook contacts I have from there, or on some other websites, ALL of them destroy it ! I'm sure it's msn-like typing, but damn, in all honesty, sometimes I cannot even understand the sentences, like, at all ! I know all the words but they don't make sense put together in the same sentence :lol:

Anyway, Dan I tell you that if you talk to french people abroad, or who did studies in relation to english, they would be okay at english for sure. But man I tell you, I know so many people who can barely hold a conversation in english it's a shame :)

Also yeah, in french, I think no one will ever sound like a french if he/she was not raised in france, from the first seconds you can tell someone is a foreigner who learnt it, even if his/her accent is good, because there is just so many ways you can do a mistake in french and it's already hard when you are a genuine one :lol: Or to the contrary, they would use the correct rule, which doesn't sound casual to us, or even odd if used somewhere else than in a book. I have yet to hear someone who "learnt" french, and tricked me in more than a few sentences. So I can totally relate to what you say with foreigners who sound a bit funny most of the time.

Dan btw, would you agree than you spanish use an oral spanish quite close to the written one ? It always sounded to me you did a good job at following your rules orally, contrary to use who butcher french 3 times a sentence when we speak it. I mean it creates more possibilities, but sometimes I'm amazed at how lazy we are with our own rules.

Spanish has very strict and clear pronunciation rules, in other words, it is pronounced exactly how it's written, there's no room for mispronunciation because there's only one way to pronounce each word, unlike English where for example "read" in the present and "read" in the past changes pronunciation, and millions of other examples. The same thing happens in German from what I've read, pronunciation is clear and easy. The problem with that are Spanish morons reading words in other languages and assuming it's pronounced like in Spanish, like "building", pronounced by smart-ass Spanish dudes as "booeeldeen" (try to read that with standard English pronunciation rules)

Yet, 85% of the Spanish speakers around the globe mispronounce c's :loco:

That's not a mispronunciation, that's just different per regions/countries, it's called "seseo", Latin Americans, Canarians and people from some parts of mainland Spain pronounce the "c" and "z" the same as the "s", much like in English, French or Portuguese. The "c" in "city" is pronounced the same as "s", and 85% of Spanish speakers do the same. Maybe the 25% who don't are the weird ones now? :lol:

I would add "to/too" to the article in the OP. It's like "than/then" but more common.

I used too eat hamburgers to often.