Top 10 Favorite Bands

Being serious with your lyrics doesn't mean everything you say is literally accurate. There are plenty of reasons to say things other than to relay facts. A band can be singing about having sex with corpses and still be dead serious.

Random order.

1. Ensiferum
2. Iced Earth (Barlow 'era')
3. Wintersun
4. Amon Amarth
5. Helloween
6. Turisas
7. Nevermore
8. Tarot
9. old Children of Bodom
10. old In Flames

Being serious with your lyrics doesn't mean everything you say is literally accurate. There are plenty of reasons to say things other than to relay facts. A band can be singing about having sex with corpses and still be dead serious.

No they can't. If you sing about necrophilia and you're serious, you have to either be a necrophiliac or know necrophiliacs.

That was my guess as to why so many people think they aren't metal (since they pretty much are metal as far as their sound is concerned). In case you weren't aware, lyrical themes play a pretty big part in whether a band is classified as metal or not. Metal bands tend to have themes less rooted in real-life experience than non-metal bands do. Alice in Chains is a bit of a borderline case, since their lyrics are rooted in reality, but they still have the dark, morbid feel that's typically associated with metal.

I don't think "grunge-metal" is really a legitimate genre, but I do think AiC are on the border between those genres.

Does anyone know of any other bands with life experience oriented lyrics that are actually widely accepted as metal? I'm starting to wonder if there are really any at all.

Well, I guess you can count a few Southern/stoner metal bands as being serious (i.e. Down). That's all I can think of, though.

Exactly. It's not a sub-genre, it's their style.

Uh...Rage Against The Machine?
Metallica, for the most part.
Pantera, pretty much totally.
Queensryche?

Down is serious? As in, "New Orleans Is A Dying Whore" Down?

Exactly. It's not a sub-genre, it's their style.

Uh...Rage Against The Machine?
Metallica, for the most part.
Pantera, pretty much totally.
Queensryche?

Down is serious? As in, "New Orleans Is A Dying Whore" Down?

Yeah, that Down. They've got a lot of songs about drug problems, relationship problems, etc.

Vihris: lyrics don't determine if a band is metal or not. What I said was not meant to be systematically applied.

I know lyrics alone don't make a band metal. But it's very rare to find a metal band whose lyrics are about personal experiences (or at least can be interpreted as such). And in a lot of borderline cases (i.e. the "is it hard rock or classic metal?" dilemma), lyrical themes are often the deciding factor.

No, it is not the deciding factor, jesus christ, where are you getting this from? Alice in Chains are also not metal (and I am a rather big fan). They're bluesy grunge rock.

No, it is not the deciding factor, jesus christ, where are you getting this from? Alice in Chains are also not metal (and I am a rather big fan). They're bluesy grunge rock.

I don't understand what's freaking you out so much about this. If you have some sort of official definition of heavy metal on-hand that contradicts me, feel free to share it.

Seriously, though, how big of a difference really exists between hard rock and, say, hair metal? Where do you draw the line there?

Alice in Chains has metal elements, which is why I interchange them between metal and hard rock

Yeah. I mean, I'm no expert on them, and I know they have some softer material. But songs like "Them Bones" are easily as heavy, bleak, and morbid as any (non-extreme) metal song.