Top 10 Favorite Bands

They don't fit into any genre of metal that isn't already established, and they sure as hell don't warrant their own, so they're not metal.

Also, hair metal isn't metal. Neither is nu-metal. They are metal in name only.

Hair metal isn't metal anyways, so that doesn't really help your case.

Well having a narrower definition of metal doesn't really help you anyways. There's still a number of bands that straddle a border between hair/glam metal and power metal. Which one would Europe be, for example?

Well having a narrower definition of metal doesn't really help you anyways.

It's not his opinion. Alice In Chains are NOT metal. Neither is any hair band stuff. What's wrong with things being rock? The difference between rock and metal lies in things being metal fitting into valid metal subgenres, and AIC doesn't. "Hair metal" is not a valid subgenre. The bands are rock-based.

They don't fit into any genre of metal that isn't already established, and they sure as hell don't warrant their own, so they're not metal.

I'm not asking you what subgenre they fit into. I'm asking you what they actually sound like. Can you name me a specific criteria for being "heavy metal" (outside of subgenres, influences, 'schools', and all that crap) that they don't satisfy?

It's not his opinion. Alice In Chains are NOT metal. Neither is any hair band stuff. What's wrong with things being rock? The difference between rock and metal lies in things being metal fitting into valid metal subgenres, and AIC doesn't. "Hair metal" is not a valid subgenre. The bands are rock-based.

You're assuming that everything has a neat classification. I think that's an inaccurate way to evaluate a band. There are borderline bands, and there are bands that intentionally play different styles of music throughout their career (i.e. Opeth). Why is it so important to you that a band be unquestionably, 100% metal in order to be called "metal"?

Alice in Chains is clearly metal idc what you say. And Opeth is a terrible example and the roots of Hair Metal music wise is more rock than anything (why it's not metal)

Alice In Chains is based in rock too. They weren't influenced by metal, at least not in any way you can easily hear. They don't fit into any established genre of metal and didn't make their own new one, so I'm failing to find any argument as to why they are metal. Just because they "sound like metal" to you is not a very good argument and is actually an argument from ignorance, even if you are very smart about what metal is.

You're assuming that everything has a neat classification. I think that's an inaccurate way to evaluate a band. There are borderline bands, and there are bands that intentionally play different styles of music throughout their career (i.e. Opeth). Why is it so important to you that a band be unquestionably, 100% metal in order to be called "metal"?

Metal bands do have neat classifications, which are termed "genres" of metal, in which they fit (more than one, even). It's not inaccurate in any way, shape or form. Are spelling and grammar errors "inaccurately categorized" by placing particular examples into different kinds of problems? No, it is actually helpful and specific, but you have to know what you're talking about.

Opeth have always played progressive extreme metal, sometimes darker on earlier albums and more psychedelic and even catchy on some of their other material.

Isn't it important that a carrot be 100% a carrot for you to call it a carrot? You can say this about anything; it's pretty important; actually, it's integral for classification to exist or serve a purpose.

I'm really curious to know what's supposed to be so un-metal about Alice in Chains.

Since you are trying to prove an affirmative, I think you should present some evidence that they are metal which I can review and we can discuss.

There is nothing "un-metal" about any non-metal except that said bands just aren't metal. It's really simple (almost deceivingly so).

People who claim that Alice in Chains isn't metal clearly haven't heard enough AiC and are just assuming off their association with Grunge.

I have heard every album and have been a fan since about 10-12 (that's around 7-9 years). There are no compelling argument for AiC being metal.

I'm not asking you what subgenre they fit into. I'm asking you what they actually sound like. Can you name me a specific criteria for being "heavy metal" (outside of subgenres, influences, 'schools', and all that crap) that they don't satisfy?

Whenever you talk about bands being metal, you have to speak about subgenre because metal is a style based form of music. It is separate from rock due to its extremely diverse and artistically challenging evolutionary path, which has split off into innumerable styles over the past 3 decades (holy fuck :zombie:). I can't name specific criteria for being "heavy metal" if you're going to deny me access to the things which classify bands as metal in the first place; do you like to make science without evidence? It's the same deal here.

But since you asked nicely, I wrote this definition of "heavy metal" (NOT the "blanket term for metal which is unclassifiable" since that is NOT metal):

heavy metal: Of course beginning with the founders of metal (you should know who) and eventually becoming very significant in the late 70's/early-mid 80's, heavy metal gained strength through a renaissance from Britain known as the "NWOBHM" (New Wave of British Heavy Metal"). It is characterized by powerful, energetic, and driving songs, often anthemlike in songwrtiting quality, with many unique takes on melody and usually very high-pitched and emphatic clean vocals.

http://www.last.fm/user/Worm-Infested/journal/2006/02/13/76094/

I wrote this two years ago and consider it a very relevant and useful database of terms (qualifiers) and styles/genres pertaining to the music I enjoy (not all metal, but I digress). I'd take a look at it if you want to know what makes other genres whatever they are.

EDIT #47364: And BEFORE you begin with the cries of "but these are just your opinion": no, they're really not. There is fact and falsity in defining what classification bands fall into. You can be wrong.

In the sense that both overarching forms of music use guitars, drums, bass and usually vocals; yes. But if you have heard enough and have a good ear for analysis, you can immediately tell if bands are metal or not, and what genre they are.

Well then I think we need a lesson in this distinction. I confess my understanding is vague. There are obvious distinctions between the Beatles and Behemoth, but for many bands (like AIC, Slipknot, and Led Zeppelin, for example) there needs to be a more surgical separation.

here are borderline bands, and there are bands that intentionally play different styles of music throughout their career (i.e. Opeth).

Dude, no. Just fucking no. There is no intentional style shift to be found here. The same shit with minor variation =/= style shift.

Well then I think we need a lesson in this distinction. I confess my understanding is vague. There are obvious distinctions between the Beatles and Behemoth, but for many bands (like AIC, Slipknot, and Led Zeppelin, for example) there needs to be a more surgical separation.

All genres of metal involve a few (not definite and I can admit that) of the following:

-Guitars being the focus of the music (even in black metal)
-Narrative song structures
-Strong rhythmic base that doesn't resign rhythm to "keeping the beat" but rather lets rhythm (bass/drums) create new dynamics (this doesn't happen too much in BM, though)
-Much less focus on understandable/formula-fitting vocals than rock music

I think this should be judged on a case-by-case basis, though. I think there should be a systematic DISPROVING of bands touted as being metal or partially metal :)erk:) and not the other way around. This follows with the logical, burden of proof way of thinking. That would also make this more streamlined (though perhaps more negative, but that comes with the territory).

Absolutely not. They were a metal band. How many rock bands then sounded like Black Sabbath? How many rock bands wrote heavy, driving, eclectic songs with various tempo changes and sections which were undeniably "one song" when put together? Just because some of their stuff sounds rockier now because of our modern perspective doesn't make them any less "metal."

Metal bands do have neat classifications, which are termed "genres" of metal, in which they fit (more than one, even). It's not inaccurate in any way, shape or form. Are spelling and grammar errors "inaccurately categorized" by placing particular examples into different kinds of problems? No, it is actually helpful and specific, but you have to know what you're talking about.

It is inaccurate when you assume that metal is a completely isolated microcosm of music which has absolutely NO interaction with other genres. This is absurd, and, as Zeph pointed out, rock and metal are fundamentally similar.

It's not a physical impossibility for a metal band to have rock influences (duh) and for a rock band to have metal influences. At certain points, there's enough crossover that the lines become blurred, and you can't simply say "this is clearly metal" or "this is clearly not metal".

Opeth have always played progressive extreme metal, sometimes darker on earlier albums and more psychedelic and even catchy on some of their other material.

It should have been obvious to you (and Mort) that I had Damnation in mind when I mentioned Opeth. As trivial an example as that was, I was just using it to point out that not everything a metal band does is metal (which further supports my claim that you cannot simply call a band "metal" or "not metal").

Isn't it important that a carrot be 100% a carrot for you to call it a carrot? You can say this about anything; it's pretty important; actually, it's integral for classification to exist or serve a purpose.

Let's try a more relevant analogy:

Consider the various elements that make up music - i.e. melody, rhythm, structure, and intentional composition. If a set of sounds has some of these features and not others, it can create borderline cases.

Since you are trying to prove an affirmative, I think you should present some evidence that they are metal which I can review and we can discuss.

Actually, I think it would be much, much simpler if you could just find a single criterion for metal that AiC doesn't satisfy, instead of making me hunt down an entire list of criteria and check off every single one that they do. However, I have a feeling that our definitions of "metal" aren't the same, so it would be pointless to even attempt this until we can actually agree on a definition.

There is nothing "un-metal" about any non-metal except that said bands just aren't metal. It's really simple (almost deceivingly so).

I don't know why you even bothered to say this. Circular reasoning has no place in a debate.

I have heard every album and have been a fan since about 10-12 (that's around 7-9 years). There are no compelling argument for AiC being metal.

I don't care how familiar you are with them. If you can't actually describe their music to me in a way that makes it possible to compare them to a definition of metal, then your familiarity with them is useless. (But again, we have to agree on a definition of "metal" first.)

heavy metal: Of course beginning with the founders of metal (you should know who) and eventually becoming very significant in the late 70's/early-mid 80's, heavy metal gained strength through a renaissance from Britain known as the "NWOBHM" (New Wave of British Heavy Metal"). It is characterized by powerful, energetic, and driving songs, often anthemlike in songwrtiting quality, with many unique takes on melody and usually very high-pitched and emphatic clean vocals.

That's a pretty flawed definition, tbh. You could easily call a lot of electronic dance music "powerful, energetic, driving, and anthemic", and "unique takes on melody" is far too ambiguous to understand what that really means. "High-pitched and emphatic clean vocals" are certainly not a "usual" feature of metal, either.

I don't mind looking for a definition of metal myself, but it's probably going to take a lot of work (i.e. parsing/interpreting the Wikipedia page on heavy metal), and I don't feel like doing that right now. For now, let's just focus on the other arguments I've made above that don't require a working definition of "metal" to reach a conclusion on (i.e. my claim that the lines can become blurred to a point of indistinguishability between rock and metal).

EDIT #47364: And BEFORE you begin with the cries of "but these are just your opinion": no, they're really not. There is fact and falsity in defining what classification bands fall into. You can be wrong.

Uh... okay, thanks for the tip.

In the sense that both overarching forms of music use guitars, drums, bass and usually vocals; yes. But if you have heard enough and have a good ear for analysis, you can immediately tell if bands are metal or not, and what genre they are.

If you really have a good ear for analysis, you should actually be able to analyze the music into its consituent parts (i.e. guitar distortion, lyrical themes, tempo, etc.), and not just say "it is" or "it isn't". If you yourself are claiming to have such an ear for analysis, you've done a pretty poor job of demonstrating that so far.

Dude, no. Just fucking no. There is no intentional style shift to be found here. The same shit with minor variation =/= style shift.

See above. Damnation is not a "minor variation" on Opeth's main style. Try actually thinking about what you're saying before acting like a know-it-all.