Top 10 Favorite Bands

I'm not particularly young, so my list isn't going to be all that "current".

1. Pink Floyd
2. King's X
3. Devin Townsend (Regardless of iteration.)
4. Nevermore
5. Opeth
6. Threat Signals
7. Living Colour
8. Meshuggah
9. Mnemic
10. VAST

Make fun as you see fit.

Pink Floyd...

...is AWESOME.

I liked Mathias's earlier placement of Jethro Tull in his top favorites as well. Basically, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull and Genesis will always be my favorites bands. I don't list them here because they're constant; but essentially above all other bands I mention.

This is an ATM one.

1) Judas Priest (may always be my favourite band, whatever they do now.)
2) Queen (yeah get over it)

3) Diamond Head

4) Bathory

5) Mercyful Fate

6) Running Wild (this is ATM, I don't have their albums YET)

7) Accept (same as above)

8) Metallica

9) Slayer

10) Helloween

gamma ray might go next or 10th instead.. depends.

As for me, at the moment it's probably:

1. Pink Floyd by a mile
2. Opeth (fuck the haters)
4. Porcupine Tree
5. Enslaved
6. Carcass
Honorable mentions go out to Swallow the Sun,
:kickass: Hot damn what a list!

For me (at the moment my top 10)

1. Opeth
2. Porcupine Tree
3. Carcass
4. Amorphis
5. Agalloch
6. Katatonia
7. Dimmu Borgir
8. Hypocrisy
9. Immortal
10. Bloodbath

So fucking hard to make a Top 10 Favorite List cause I like TOO many bands. I'm going on what I listen to most.

Currently
1. Finntroll
2. Moonsorrow
3. Blind Guardian
4. Tool
5. Behemoth
6. Аркона
7. Vader
8. Korpiklaani
9. Symphony X
10. Hard to choose... Amon Amarth maybe.

No order. Picking 10 is hard enough, much less trying to put them in order.

I can't make a list, there are too many bands I haven't heard yet. I just started listening to metal almost a year ago. But so far...

Coroner
Jailor
Gama Bomb
Dark Angel
Kreator
Testament
Evile
Justice
Death
Tankard
Sodom

Pretty much thrash, haven't branched out to other genres that much.

Every single band on it is basically considered one of the most well-known bands of their respected genre or era. They're bands that you listen to before you know a lot of metal, using them as gateways to explore more deeply.

Exactly and there are reasons, and also just because they are gateway bands does not mean they can't remain someones favorite bands or means these bands are musically less or less good than bands people will find after. We all own slayer,pantera,metallica,iron maiden cds,etc.. and so what if someone is die-hard fan forever.

Exactly and there are reasons, and also just because they are gateway bands does not mean they can't remain someones favorite bands or means these bands are musically less or less good than bands people will find after. We all own slayer,pantera,metallica,iron maiden cds,etc.. and so what if someone is die-hard fan forever.

:headbang: Agreed.

Not only do I generally find that the all-time greatest bands keep crushing all new comers for years to come... also for me if they're a favorite once, they're a favorite forever. I still consider Led Zeppelin to be one of my top few favorite bands of all-time even though today I can barely stand to listen to them when I'm not high off my ass. But hey I spent several years of my life entirely amazed by every single song they ever did... so to me they deserve the honor forever.

Cherko didn't say it was a "horrible" list, and neither did I. Still, it remains a very generic list. And no one said they were bad bands. They do deserve respect for what they did in metal; but that doesn't change the fact that they're incredibly standard, common bands.

Right now it's...

1.Wintersun
2.Meshuggah
3.Exhumed
4.Within Temptation
5.Kamelot
6.The Birthday Massacre
7.Strapping Young Lad
8.Alestorm
9.Brain Drill
10.Cryptopsy

Oh, and people who act like all gateway bands are lesser are hilarious. :lol:

On the flipside an argument could be made that many bands currently operating are taking classic sounds to a different level and possibly making amazing music which won't be heard esp. if everyone got stuck on gateway/classic/generic stuff. Just a devil's advocate position (though I find it generally true in a lot of cases, however I did approach metal from a modernist perspective).

I agree a lot of the time. Don't get me wrong, because I was talking about people who think all gateway bands are subpar. Music changes, but there's still some definite classics that must be heard. I also approached what metal I listen to from mostly newer albums and heard the older ones later.